• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle Storage Question

hp-hobo

imported post

Looking for an answer I've yet to find about in-vehicle storage.

I'll be in Charlotte this weekend for the big goings on. I understand how and where I can and can't carry while in NC and while I'm driving. However, where I can lawfully store my sidearm in the vehicle while not occupied is still a mystery to me. So the question.

Where and how can my sidearm be stored in my personal vehicle while unattended in a parking lot? Links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dreamer

imported post

But you probably want to have it in some sort of secure container that is attached to the vehicle, so it's not easy to steal if someone breaks into your vehicle...

I use a portable safe and a cable lock, attached to the tie-down loops in the cargo area of my vehicle.

It's not theft-proof, but it would make theft a LOT more difficult than if it were loose in the trunk, or in a gun case. No reason to make things easy for the criminals...

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
But you probably want to have it in some sort of secure container that is attached to the vehicle, so it's not easy to steal if someone breaks into your vehicle...

I use a portable safe and a cable lock, attached to the tie-down loops in the cargo area of my vehicle.

It's not theft-proof, but it would make theft a LOT more difficult than if it were loose in the trunk, or in a gun case. No reason to make things easy for the criminals...

Or take the cable lock that likely came with one of your pistols. Take the mag out, lock the slide back, then run the cable through the pistol and around the seat frame where it mounts to the floor. It will make it harder to get to. Or if you have a locked glove box you can do that. Handcuffs would would work too.

NCjones

imported post

I bought one of those small metal lock boxes at Walmart like you see at yardsales for keeping your cash in. Locks with a key. Threw the change drawer away and bolted it behind the seat on my truck.Not theft-proof but it would take them awhile and a lot of noise to get it open.