Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Events in Louisiana

Post imported post

Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html). We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution. We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues. Do we need to do that here in Louisiana?For what purpose? Open carry is legal! If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives. I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana? Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html). We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution. We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues. Do we need to do that here in Louisiana?For what purpose? Open carry is legal! If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives. I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana? Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

What is the purpose?

1 spend some quality time with family and friends in an enviornment friendly to our way of life.

2 Enjoy a nice day of weather, good food, maybe some horseshoes or yard darts whatever.

3 Finally put a fewfaces with the names of our friends.

4 Meet new people who share our views, invite more people to join our forum (strenght in numbers)

5 Raise awareness as most people don't know OC is legal (teach by example, giving out flyers, etc.)

6 Generally have a good time with good people.

This event isn't designed to change any laws as much as raise awareness to our rights, if an entire community see's or attends our outing and actually has a good time,perhaps every time you leave your house you wont be harassed.

Again just as OC is a right, the choice to attend or not is also a right.

Not an attack on you, just saying if you feel this outing isn't for you, I am sure everyone here would respect that, after all we are about protecting all rights not just our favorites, Right?

I for one hope this thing goes off without a hitch and hope You and yours attend, if You choose not to that's your right.

Just look at it as a good time with a few benefits, nothing more. Not an attack on congress or an opportunity for a fight, just a day of fun.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html).¬* We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution.¬* We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues.¬* Do we need to do that here in Louisiana?¬*For what purpose?¬* Open carry is legal!¬* If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives.¬* I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana?¬* Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

¬*
    Here is a good reason...you think this cant happen here??>>>>>>>>>>> >>

Bill to Outlaw Open Carry in California to be Considered on Wednesday, May 12

Friday, May 07, 2010

Please Contact the Members of the Assembly Appropriations Committee Today!

On Wednesday, May 12, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Assembly Bill 1934.

AB1934 is a blatant attack on the self-defense rights of law-abiding Californians. Simply put, this legislation would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense. From>>> http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5802

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    barf wrote:

Friday, May 07, 2010

On Wednesday, May 12, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Assembly Bill 1934.

AB1934 is a blatant attack on the self-defense rights of law-abiding Californians. Simply put, this legislation would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense. From>>> http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5802
    Oh yea, thats another good reason.

Post imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

1 spend some quality time with family and friends in an enviornment friendly to our way of life.

2 Enjoy a nice day of weather, good food, maybe some horseshoes or yard darts whatever.

4 Meet new people who share our views, invite more people to join our forum (strenght in numbers)

5 Raise awareness as most people don't know OC is legal (teach by example, giving out flyers, etc.)

This event isn't designed to change any laws as much as raise awareness to our rights, if an entire community see's or attends our outing and actually has a good time,perhaps every time you leave your house you wont be harassed.

Not an attack on you, just saying if you feel this outing isn't for you, I am sure everyone here would respect that, after all we are about protecting all rights not just our favorites, Right?

I for one hope this thing goes off without a hitch and hope You and yours attend, if You choose not to that's your right.

Just look at it as a good time with a few benefits, nothing more. Not an attack on congress or an opportunity for a fight, just a day of fun.
    So, the purpose of an open carry picnic is to raise awareness of open carry which is already legal?

What about negative consequences? You didn't address that.

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    barf wrote:

Friday, May 07, 2010

Oh, but I DO think this can happen here. And I think it's the result of public opinion AGAINST open carry because it was abused.

Californians are only allowed to open carry unloaded. It's because of the public face they put on open carry instead of going through other channels that this happened.

Post imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
    estcrh wrote:
    barf wrote:

Friday, May 07, 2010

Oh yea, thats another good reason.
    Good reason, huh? See my previous post and do some research on this issue. You may be surprised at what you find.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

So, the purpose of an open carry picnic is to raise awareness of open carry which is already legal?

I gave you 6 good reasons, and just because somthing is legal DOES NOT mean the general public knows it.

Odviously it is legal or This forum would be called "Bunch of rednecks doing illegal shi*"

As far as negatives, eliminate the possibilities or at least minimize them ... No alchahol, Behave your self we are all grown men, you will still be responsible for Your Own actions, the only thing that would make us look bad is any type of firearm incident. Just like we allways do, check your firearm so some 11 year old doesn't snatch it from your holster.Refrain from entering into any shouting matches , live with the fact that there are ALLWAYS going to be people (LEGAL OR NOT) who just don't agree with open carry, they can do squat about it but they arent bound by law to like it either.

Enjoy the day and the food,people,activities,etc. Stop looking for negatives, While OC'ing a trip to Auto Zone could goto Hadesand make national news.

Post imported post

There is something strange going on here..braf says that he open carries in the French Market..I live a few blocks from there, I walk there almost every day and buy my fruit, vegetables and seafood there (I have never seen anyone open carrying)..with the 2 schools in the area let alone all the tourists and the fact that its private property nobody that I know will even go near that part of the Quarter with an open gun...but now he is trying to convince people that gathering together and having a simple bbq with a few people will cause untold trouble and possible lead to our rights being taken away???? Hummm???

Post imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:
    CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

I gave you 6 good reasons, and just because somthing is legal DOES NOT mean the general public knows it.

Odviously it is legal or This forum would be called "Bunch of rednecks doing illegal shi*"

As far as negatives, eliminate the possibilities or at least minimize them ... No alchahol, Behave your self we are all grown men, you will still be responsible for Your Own actions, the only thing that would make us look bad is any type of firearm incident. Just like we allways do, check your firearm so some 11 year old doesn't snatch it from your holster.Refrain from entering into any shouting matches , live with the fact that there are ALLWAYS going to be people (LEGAL OR NOT) who just don't agree with open carry, they can do squat about it but they arent bound by law to like it either.

Enjoy the day and the food,people,activities,etc. Stop looking for negatives, While OC'ing a trip to Auto Zone could goto Hadesand make national news.

Seriously? This is your answer?

I'm asking about negative consequences of even having an event like this. OK, let me spell it out for you: In another post on this very thread, I infer that by putting a public face on OC (good or bad), the sheeple citizenry might ask their legislators to propose a change to our constitution that might effectively ban OC. There - anybody want to address this?

I maintain that we need to keep on keeping on with our rights, and not make arses of ourselves in public.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:
    CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:
    Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html).¬* We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution.¬* We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues.¬* Do we need to do that here in Louisiana?¬*For what purpose?¬* Open carry is legal!¬* If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives.¬* I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana?¬* Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

¬*
    What is the purpose?

3 Finally put a few¬*faces with the names of our friends.

This event isn't designed to change any laws as much as raise awareness to our rights, if an entire community see's or attends our outing and actually has a good time,¬*perhaps every time you leave your house you wont be harassed.

So, the purpose of an open carry picnic is to raise awareness of open carry which is already legal?¬*

What about negative consequences?¬* You didn't address that.

Enjoy the day and the food,people,activities,etc. Stop looking for negatives, While OC'ing a trip to Auto Zone could go¬*to Hades¬*and make national news.

¬*
    Seriously?¬* This is your answer?

I'm asking about negative consequences of even having an event like this.¬* OK, let me spell it out for you: In another post on this very thread, I infer that by putting a public face on OC (good or bad), the sheeple citizenry might ask their legislators to propose a change to our constitution that might effectively ban OC.¬* There - anybody want to address this?

I maintain that we need to keep on keeping on with our rights, and not make arses of ourselves in public.¬*
    Fear monger!!!

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    barf wrote:
    CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:
    CaptainDan wrote:
    barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

Seriously? This is your answer?

I'm asking about negative consequences of even having an event like this. OK, let me spell it out for you: In another post on this very thread, I infer that by putting a public face on OC (good or bad), the sheeple citizenry might ask their legislators to propose a change to our constitution that might effectively ban OC. There - anybody want to address this?

I maintain that we need to keep on keeping on with our rights, and not make arses of ourselves in public.
    Fear monger!!!
    Yes, I know you don't want to answer that question just like you don't answer ANY serious question posed to you. It's ok, most here have read your posts and know all about you.

Post imported post

Braf..you sound more and more like an ANTI open carry activist in disguise???

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    Braf..you sound more and more like an ANTI open carry activist in disguise???
    Yes, I know that you don't want to address the real issue.

Post imported post

barf, let me see if I'm clearly understanding your question or point? You are curious if we think there may be consequences (intended or unintended) of a pro-OC event such as a public backlash against OC.

Am I correct in this analysis?

Post imported post

Yes, SERIOUSLY, that's my awnser.

As you have stated time and time again, OC is LEGAL, what are you looking for? Do you expect the Neo-Nazi Establishment to magically pull all your OC rights because we have a LEGAL BBQ while OC'ing? I Don't know what you are so afraid of, If it terrifies you so, DON'T COME. Easy Peasy .

Post imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
    barf, let me see if I'm clearly understanding your question or point? You are curious if we think there may be consequences (intended or unintended) of a pro-OC event such as a public backlash against OC.

Yes, you are correct.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    LA Confederate wrote:

Yes, you are correct.¬*
    So..by getting together and having a bbq..the sky is going to fall??? WOW..thanks for your concern!!

Post imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
    Yes, SERIOUSLY, that's my awnser.

As you have stated time and time again, OC is LEGAL, what are you looking for? Do you expect the Neo-Nazi Establishment to magically pull all your OC rights because we have a LEGAL BBQ while OC'ing? I Don't know what you are so afraid of, If it terrifies you so, DON'T COME. Easy Peasy .
    Please actually read my posts on this thread and try to comprehend them. I'm looking for substantive discussion regarding this subject.

Post imported post

In my very limited experience open carrying (3 times now,I think) I can tell you I have run into at least 2 people every single time that thought I was breaking a law.

In fact, I had no idea OC was legal until I looked into getting a ccp.

Anyone in the northern part of the state?

I would be interested in an OC picnic,etc...

Post imported post

warhawk83 wrote:
    In my very limited experience open carrying (3 times now,I think) I can tell you I have run into at least 2 people every single time that thought I was breaking a law.

In fact, I had no idea OC was legal until I looked into getting a ccp.

Anyone in the northern part of the state?

I would be interested in an OC picnic,etc...
    Welcome, warhawk. In my experience folks think I'm a police officer.

I believe there are several OCers on this forum who live in the northern part of the state.

Post imported post

Thought so. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Yes there is the possibility of something happening that could be misconstrued by the drive by media. As the saying goes poop happens.

Someone could have an equipment malfunction that woudl be embarrassing (such as a loose holster that allows the firearm to fall-out).

Some do-gooder hand-wringing soccer mom can come by and being woefully ignorant of the law call the police for a MWAG. After all those nasty ol guns can jump out of their holsters by themselves and shoot someone without provocation.

We could have another ********* come up and start an argument or act in a hostile manner - now you have a confrontation between a group of armed men and an innocent bystander according to the drive by media.

You could have a group petition to restrict firearms possession in a public place, or the park developing a new rule to restrict the same. They can take it a step further and encourage their legislator to address this legally.

And of course the sky could fall, the Rapture could happen, and the Russians could invade using paratroopers coming up from Messyco a la Red Dawn.

So yes, negative things can happen.

Now, positive things that can happen:
    The news media comes out and films a group of OC proponents having a BBQ in a park somewhere. The news media might even interview some of the attendees. This has been demonstrated by the OC rally at Ft. Hunt on Patriot's Day last month and the massive positive news media response generated from that event.

If we can make it, my wife and daughter will be there. How much great propaganda could we get if the media filmed/interviewed me and my wife OCing with my blonde haired blue eyed cutie holding our hands?

Other park patrons nearby may come over and express interest which would allow us to hand them a LOCAL pamphlet explaining the legality of OC.

We all get together, have some good grub and enjoy the camaraderie of other armed men and women.

When Mark does not show up and decides to pull his normal bitch fest, we will have another reason to point out his uselessness and counterproductive ways.

So yes, positive things can happen from this event as well. I understand the what-if game and it's a wise thing to do. We must be as thorough with our rules of engagement and our prep work for the event. We have to make sure all I's are dotted and all T's are crossed. If that can happen then I think the event could be a success. Of course that's contingent on all the details being ironed out.

Post imported post

To be honest it looks to Me like you are just looking for a fight. I have answered you honestly and sincerely every time. They cannot come down on us for an OC BBQ, unless you shoot somebodys kid, what could possibly go wrong? I honestly do not know what you are so afraid of barf. Every man is responsible for his own actions armed or not.

I am not insulting you I just for the life of Me don't know what scares you so. As long as we dont do anything illegal, what possible harm can come? I wear My sidearm every day, everywhere I go. How is this any different? I don't know if you carry like I do but it sounds to Me like you are still a bit shaky. NOT AN INSULT, when I first became an OC'r I was terrified every time I left the house, so I understand. Just remember, OC is legal, all the time, every day, nothing is going to happen unless someone sabatoges (lord I hope I spelled that right) us. An OC BBQ is no more risky than grandma's quilting party sunday afternoon.

Again I am not trying to insult you, i just don't know what you are so afraid of.

Post imported post

LA Confederate wrote:

Yes there is the possibility of something happening that could be misconstrued by the drive by media. As the saying goes poop happens.

Someone could have an equipment malfunction that woudl be embarrassing (such as a loose holster that allows the firearm to fall-out).

Some do-gooder hand-wringing soccer mom can come by and being woefully ignorant of the law call the police for a MWAG. After all those nasty ol guns can jump out of their holsters by themselves and shoot someone without provocation.

We could have another ********* come up and start an argument or act in a hostile manner - now you have a confrontation between a group of armed men and an innocent bystander according to the drive by media.

You could have a group petition to restrict firearms possession in a public place, or the park developing a new rule to restrict the same. They can take it a step further and encourage their legislator to address this legally.

And of course the sky could fall, the Rapture could happen, and the Russians could invade using paratroopers coming up from Messyco a la Red Dawn.

The news media comes out and films a group of OC proponents having a BBQ in a park somewhere. The news media might even interview some of the attendees. This has been demonstrated by the OC rally at Ft. Hunt on Patriot's Day last month and the massive positive news media response generated from that event.

If we can make it, my wife and daughter will be there. How much great propaganda could we get if the media filmed/interviewed me and my wife OCing with my blonde haired blue eyed cutie holding our hands?

Other park patrons nearby may come over and express interest which would allow us to hand them a LOCAL pamphlet explaining the legality of OC.

We all get together, have some good grub and enjoy the camaraderie of other armed men and women.

When Mark does not show up and decides to pull his normal bitch fest, we will have another reason to point out his uselessness and counterproductive ways.

So yes, positive things can happen from this event as well. I understand the what-if game and it's a wise thing to do. We must be as thorough with our rules of engagement and our prep work for the event. We have to make sure all I's are dotted and all T's are crossed. If that can happen then I think the event could be a success. Of course that's contingent on all the details being ironed out.
    ORRRRR..we can do nothing at all and just wait for some do good anti crime politician to decide that he will take away the right to open carry because..well no one is really doing it anyway so who would miss it!!! When the sky falls no one knows were it will fall and who it will fall on. Maybe politicians will realize that we are a voting block and try to get on our side (open carry in a school zone???.)

Post imported post

LA Confederate wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about for something that's completely legal in the first place and in no jeopardy of NOT being legal. If a bunch of OCers go out and make an impression on the public that is GOOD or BAD, it has the potential for some idiot politician or liberal group to start a movement to take away our rights. I can see it now - people complaining on the news and to their politicians that we just can't have these people wearing guns in public like this.

What the hell is so difficult about a regular citizen OCing during their normal daily lives? Why must we make a show out of it? I really wonder what's wrong with people sometimes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast