• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Events in Louisiana

barf

imported post

Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html). We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution. We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues. Do we need to do that here in Louisiana?For what purpose? Open carry is legal! If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives. I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana? Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

CaptainDan

imported post

barf wrote:
Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html). We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution. We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues. Do we need to do that here in Louisiana?For what purpose? Open carry is legal! If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives. I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana? Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

What is the purpose?

1 spend some quality time with family and friends in an enviornment friendly to our way of life.

2 Enjoy a nice day of weather, good food, maybe some horseshoes or yard darts whatever.

3 Finally put a fewfaces with the names of our friends.

4 Meet new people who share our views, invite more people to join our forum (strenght in numbers)

5 Raise awareness as most people don't know OC is legal (teach by example, giving out flyers, etc.)

6 Generally have a good time with good people.

This event isn't designed to change any laws as much as raise awareness to our rights, if an entire community see's or attends our outing and actually has a good time,perhaps every time you leave your house you wont be harassed.

Again just as OC is a right, the choice to attend or not is also a right.

Not an attack on you, just saying if you feel this outing isn't for you, I am sure everyone here would respect that, after all we are about protecting all rights not just our favorites, Right?

I for one hope this thing goes off without a hitch and hope You and yours attend, if You choose not to that's your right.

Just look at it as a good time with a few benefits, nothing more. Not an attack on congress or an opportunity for a fight, just a day of fun.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html).  We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution.  We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues.  Do we need to do that here in Louisiana? For what purpose?  Open carry is legal!  If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives.  I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana?  Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

Here is a good reason...you think this cant happen here??>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bill to Outlaw Open Carry in California to be Considered on Wednesday, May 12

Friday, May 07, 2010

Please Contact the Members of the Assembly Appropriations Committee Today!

On Wednesday, May 12, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Assembly Bill 1934.

AB1934 is a blatant attack on the self-defense rights of law-abiding Californians. Simply put, this legislation would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense. From>>> http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5802

CaptainDan

imported post

estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:

Friday, May 07, 2010

On Wednesday, May 12, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Assembly Bill 1934.

AB1934 is a blatant attack on the self-defense rights of law-abiding Californians. Simply put, this legislation would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense. From>>> http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5802
Oh yea, thats another good reason.:lol:

barf

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

1 spend some quality time with family and friends in an enviornment friendly to our way of life.

2 Enjoy a nice day of weather, good food, maybe some horseshoes or yard darts whatever.

4 Meet new people who share our views, invite more people to join our forum (strenght in numbers)

5 Raise awareness as most people don't know OC is legal (teach by example, giving out flyers, etc.)

This event isn't designed to change any laws as much as raise awareness to our rights, if an entire community see's or attends our outing and actually has a good time,perhaps every time you leave your house you wont be harassed.

Not an attack on you, just saying if you feel this outing isn't for you, I am sure everyone here would respect that, after all we are about protecting all rights not just our favorites, Right?

I for one hope this thing goes off without a hitch and hope You and yours attend, if You choose not to that's your right.

Just look at it as a good time with a few benefits, nothing more. Not an attack on congress or an opportunity for a fight, just a day of fun.
So, the purpose of an open carry picnic is to raise awareness of open carry which is already legal?

What about negative consequences? You didn't address that.

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:

Friday, May 07, 2010

Oh, but I DO think this can happen here. And I think it's the result of public opinion AGAINST open carry because it was abused.

Californians are only allowed to open carry unloaded. It's because of the public face they put on open carry instead of going through other channels that this happened.

barf

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:

Friday, May 07, 2010

Oh yea, thats another good reason.:lol:
Good reason, huh? See my previous post and do some research on this issue. You may be surprised at what you find.

CaptainDan

imported post

barf wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

So, the purpose of an open carry picnic is to raise awareness of open carry which is already legal?

I gave you 6 good reasons, and just because somthing is legal DOES NOT mean the general public knows it.

Odviously it is legal or This forum would be called "Bunch of rednecks doing illegal shi*"

As far as negatives, eliminate the possibilities or at least minimize them ... No alchahol, Behave your self we are all grown men, you will still be responsible for Your Own actions, the only thing that would make us look bad is any type of firearm incident. Just like we allways do, check your firearm so some 11 year old doesn't snatch it from your holster.Refrain from entering into any shouting matches , live with the fact that there are ALLWAYS going to be people (LEGAL OR NOT) who just don't agree with open carry, they can do squat about it but they arent bound by law to like it either.

Enjoy the day and the food,people,activities,etc. Stop looking for negatives, While OC'ing a trip to Auto Zone could goto Hadesand make national news.

estcrh

imported post

There is something strange going on here..braf says that he open carries in the French Market..I live a few blocks from there, I walk there almost every day and buy my fruit, vegetables and seafood there (I have never seen anyone open carrying)..with the 2 schools in the area let alone all the tourists and the fact that its private property nobody that I know will even go near that part of the Quarter with an open gun...but now he is trying to convince people that gathering together and having a simple bbq with a few people will cause untold trouble and possible lead to our rights being taken away???? Hummm???

barf

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

I gave you 6 good reasons, and just because somthing is legal DOES NOT mean the general public knows it.

Odviously it is legal or This forum would be called "Bunch of rednecks doing illegal shi*"

As far as negatives, eliminate the possibilities or at least minimize them ... No alchahol, Behave your self we are all grown men, you will still be responsible for Your Own actions, the only thing that would make us look bad is any type of firearm incident. Just like we allways do, check your firearm so some 11 year old doesn't snatch it from your holster.Refrain from entering into any shouting matches , live with the fact that there are ALLWAYS going to be people (LEGAL OR NOT) who just don't agree with open carry, they can do squat about it but they arent bound by law to like it either.

Enjoy the day and the food,people,activities,etc. Stop looking for negatives, While OC'ing a trip to Auto Zone could goto Hadesand make national news.
Seriously? This is your answer?

I'm asking about negative consequences of even having an event like this. OK, let me spell it out for you: In another post on this very thread, I infer that by putting a public face on OC (good or bad), the sheeple citizenry might ask their legislators to propose a change to our constitution that might effectively ban OC. There - anybody want to address this?

I maintain that we need to keep on keeping on with our rights, and not make arses of ourselves in public.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:
Louisiana is defined by this site as an open carry friendly state (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html).  We have a right to keep and bear arms in our state constitution.  We have complete state preemption of new firearms laws with some exceptions for public buildings, etc.

Some have posted news articles from other states that show people trying to raise awareness, inform the public, and educate police of their open carry issues.  Do we need to do that here in Louisiana? For what purpose?  Open carry is legal!  If you have issues, go to court with the constitution and law on your side.

I have advocated in the past on this site that all that's needed is responsible citizens open carrying during the course of their normal daily lives.  I just don't see what else besides that is needed, except for getting the school zones lifted and preserving our rights by exercising them.

What is the purpose behind having an open carry event such as a picnic or walk in Louisiana?  Can having such an event in a public place in Louisiana have negative consequences?

What is the purpose?

3 Finally put a few faces with the names of our friends.

This event isn't designed to change any laws as much as raise awareness to our rights, if an entire community see's or attends our outing and actually has a good time, perhaps every time you leave your house you wont be harassed.

What about negative consequences?  You didn't address that.

Enjoy the day and the food,people,activities,etc. Stop looking for negatives, While OC'ing a trip to Auto Zone could go to Hades and make national news.

Seriously?  This is your answer?

I'm asking about negative consequences of even having an event like this.  OK, let me spell it out for you: In another post on this very thread, I infer that by putting a public face on OC (good or bad), the sheeple citizenry might ask their legislators to propose a change to our constitution that might effectively ban OC.  There - anybody want to address this?

I maintain that we need to keep on keeping on with our rights, and not make arses of ourselves in public. 
Fear monger!!!

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
barf wrote:

What is the purpose?

Seriously? This is your answer?

I'm asking about negative consequences of even having an event like this. OK, let me spell it out for you: In another post on this very thread, I infer that by putting a public face on OC (good or bad), the sheeple citizenry might ask their legislators to propose a change to our constitution that might effectively ban OC. There - anybody want to address this?

Fear monger!!!
Yes, I know you don't want to answer that question just like you don't answer ANY serious question posed to you. It's ok, most here have read your posts and know all about you.

LA Confederate

imported post

barf, let me see if I'm clearly understanding your question or point? You are curious if we think there may be consequences (intended or unintended) of a pro-OC event such as a public backlash against OC.

Am I correct in this analysis?

CaptainDan

imported post

Yes, SERIOUSLY, that's my awnser.

As you have stated time and time again, OC is LEGAL, what are you looking for? Do you expect the Neo-Nazi Establishment to magically pull all your OC rights because we have a LEGAL BBQ while OC'ing? I Don't know what you are so afraid of, If it terrifies you so, DON'T COME. Easy Peasy .

barf

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
barf, let me see if I'm clearly understanding your question or point? You are curious if we think there may be consequences (intended or unintended) of a pro-OC event such as a public backlash against OC.

Yes, you are correct.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
LA Confederate wrote:

Yes, you are correct. 
So..by getting together and having a bbq..the sky is going to fall??? WOW..thanks for your concern!!

barf

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
Yes, SERIOUSLY, that's my awnser.

As you have stated time and time again, OC is LEGAL, what are you looking for? Do you expect the Neo-Nazi Establishment to magically pull all your OC rights because we have a LEGAL BBQ while OC'ing? I Don't know what you are so afraid of, If it terrifies you so, DON'T COME. Easy Peasy .
Please actually read my posts on this thread and try to comprehend them. I'm looking for substantive discussion regarding this subject.

warhawk83

imported post

In my very limited experience open carrying (3 times now,I think) I can tell you I have run into at least 2 people every single time that thought I was breaking a law.

In fact, I had no idea OC was legal until I looked into getting a ccp.

Anyone in the northern part of the state?

I would be interested in an OC picnic,etc...