• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Events in Louisiana

barf

imported post

warhawk83 wrote:
In my very limited experience open carrying (3 times now,I think) I can tell you I have run into at least 2 people every single time that thought I was breaking a law.

In fact, I had no idea OC was legal until I looked into getting a ccp.

Anyone in the northern part of the state?

I would be interested in an OC picnic,etc...
Welcome, warhawk. In my experience folks think I'm a police officer.

I believe there are several OCers on this forum who live in the northern part of the state.

LA Confederate

imported post

Thought so. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Yes there is the possibility of something happening that could be misconstrued by the drive by media. As the saying goes poop happens.

Someone could have an equipment malfunction that woudl be embarrassing (such as a loose holster that allows the firearm to fall-out).

Some do-gooder hand-wringing soccer mom can come by and being woefully ignorant of the law call the police for a MWAG. After all those nasty ol guns can jump out of their holsters by themselves and shoot someone without provocation.

We could have another douchebag come up and start an argument or act in a hostile manner - now you have a confrontation between a group of armed men and an innocent bystander according to the drive by media.

You could have a group petition to restrict firearms possession in a public place, or the park developing a new rule to restrict the same. They can take it a step further and encourage their legislator to address this legally.

And of course the sky could fall, the Rapture could happen, and the Russians could invade using paratroopers coming up from Messyco a la Red Dawn.

So yes, negative things can happen.

Now, positive things that can happen:
The news media comes out and films a group of OC proponents having a BBQ in a park somewhere. The news media might even interview some of the attendees. This has been demonstrated by the OC rally at Ft. Hunt on Patriot's Day last month and the massive positive news media response generated from that event.

If we can make it, my wife and daughter will be there. How much great propaganda could we get if the media filmed/interviewed me and my wife OCing with my blonde haired blue eyed cutie holding our hands?

Other park patrons nearby may come over and express interest which would allow us to hand them a LOCAL pamphlet explaining the legality of OC.

We all get together, have some good grub and enjoy the camaraderie of other armed men and women.

When Mark does not show up and decides to pull his normal bitch fest, we will have another reason to point out his uselessness and counterproductive ways.

So yes, positive things can happen from this event as well. I understand the what-if game and it's a wise thing to do. We must be as thorough with our rules of engagement and our prep work for the event. We have to make sure all I's are dotted and all T's are crossed. If that can happen then I think the event could be a success. Of course that's contingent on all the details being ironed out.

CaptainDan

imported post

To be honest it looks to Me like you are just looking for a fight. I have answered you honestly and sincerely every time. They cannot come down on us for an OC BBQ, unless you shoot somebodys kid, what could possibly go wrong? I honestly do not know what you are so afraid of barf. Every man is responsible for his own actions armed or not.

I am not insulting you I just for the life of Me don't know what scares you so. As long as we dont do anything illegal, what possible harm can come? I wear My sidearm every day, everywhere I go. How is this any different? I don't know if you carry like I do but it sounds to Me like you are still a bit shaky. NOT AN INSULT, when I first became an OC'r I was terrified every time I left the house, so I understand. Just remember, OC is legal, all the time, every day, nothing is going to happen unless someone sabatoges (lord I hope I spelled that right) us. An OC BBQ is no more risky than grandma's quilting party sunday afternoon.

Again I am not trying to insult you, i just don't know what you are so afraid of.

estcrh

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:

Yes there is the possibility of something happening that could be misconstrued by the drive by media. As the saying goes poop happens.

Someone could have an equipment malfunction that woudl be embarrassing (such as a loose holster that allows the firearm to fall-out).

Some do-gooder hand-wringing soccer mom can come by and being woefully ignorant of the law call the police for a MWAG. After all those nasty ol guns can jump out of their holsters by themselves and shoot someone without provocation.

We could have another douchebag come up and start an argument or act in a hostile manner - now you have a confrontation between a group of armed men and an innocent bystander according to the drive by media.

You could have a group petition to restrict firearms possession in a public place, or the park developing a new rule to restrict the same. They can take it a step further and encourage their legislator to address this legally.

And of course the sky could fall, the Rapture could happen, and the Russians could invade using paratroopers coming up from Messyco a la Red Dawn.

The news media comes out and films a group of OC proponents having a BBQ in a park somewhere. The news media might even interview some of the attendees. This has been demonstrated by the OC rally at Ft. Hunt on Patriot's Day last month and the massive positive news media response generated from that event.

If we can make it, my wife and daughter will be there. How much great propaganda could we get if the media filmed/interviewed me and my wife OCing with my blonde haired blue eyed cutie holding our hands?

Other park patrons nearby may come over and express interest which would allow us to hand them a LOCAL pamphlet explaining the legality of OC.

We all get together, have some good grub and enjoy the camaraderie of other armed men and women.

When Mark does not show up and decides to pull his normal bitch fest, we will have another reason to point out his uselessness and counterproductive ways.

So yes, positive things can happen from this event as well. I understand the what-if game and it's a wise thing to do. We must be as thorough with our rules of engagement and our prep work for the event. We have to make sure all I's are dotted and all T's are crossed. If that can happen then I think the event could be a success. Of course that's contingent on all the details being ironed out.
ORRRRR..we can do nothing at all and just wait for some do good anti crime politician to decide that he will take away the right to open carry because..well no one is really doing it anyway so who would miss it!!! When the sky falls no one knows were it will fall and who it will fall on. Maybe politicians will realize that we are a voting block and try to get on our side (open carry in a school zone???.)

barf

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about for something that's completely legal in the first place and in no jeopardy of NOT being legal. If a bunch of OCers go out and make an impression on the public that is GOOD or BAD, it has the potential for some idiot politician or liberal group to start a movement to take away our rights. I can see it now - people complaining on the news and to their politicians that we just can't have these people wearing guns in public like this.

What the hell is so difficult about a regular citizen OCing during their normal daily lives? Why must we make a show out of it? I really wonder what's wrong with people sometimes.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
LA Confederate wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about for something that's completely legal in the first place and in no jeopardy of NOT being legal.  If a bunch of OCers go out and make an impression on the public that is GOOD or BAD, it has the potential for some idiot politician or liberal group to start a movement to take away our rights.  I can see it now - people complaining on the news and to their politicians that we just can't have these people wearing guns in public like this.

What the hell is so difficult about a regular citizen OCing during their normal daily lives?  Why must we make a show out of it?  I really wonder what's wrong with people sometimes.
You ANTI GUN ACTIVISTS are really pretty smart, join a forum, say that you to open carry, try to keep us from ORGANIZING and getting together. Your trying to put the genie back in the bottle by acting like your one of us...YOUR JUST MORE ENLIGHTENTED??? Thanks for the sage advise DAD.

CaptainDan

imported post

So while the rest of us are chomping down on burgers and potato salad enjoying good company and the great outdoors you will be at home, quietly , hoping no one sees you have a gun on your hip? Come on man, the more the merrier! It's gonna be good clean fun for all ! Besides I'm looking forward to meeting all the people I talk to on here, aren't you ?

Besides, what good is a right if you are so scared somneone is gonna say somthing, you miss a good 'ol BBQ ?

LA Confederate

imported post

I see your point and i agree to a certain extent. OCing in our every day lives is important. It sets teh precedent that there is nothing wrong with OCing and in fact it's very normal and comforting on an individual level.

The point is the gathering (I would assume) would be 2 fold. It would allow you to gather with other like-minded 2A proponents...strength and reassurance in numbers. It would also provide a psychological message that not only is OC normal and beneficial, there are large numbers of people who are doing so.

That positive psychological image is what is key here. People (sheeple?) have the mentality to go along with the herd. If they see a group (herd) of normal looking people having fun and enjoying life while armed (and obviously safe from violence), they may want that security and camaraderie as well. We make them want what we have; a happy life with family and friends while armed and peacefully exercising our rights. People will not get out of their comfort zones on their own, we have to show that there is a good reason to do so and that OCing is perfectly fine.

That is where the A in LOCAL comes from - creating awareness of our right.

And that is how we will win or lose this war.

CaptainDan

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
I see your point and i agree to a certain extent. OCing in our every day lives is important. It sets teh precedent that there is nothing wrong with OCing and in fact it's very normal and comforting on an individual level.

The point is the gathering (I would assume) would be 2 fold. It would allow you to gather with other like-minded 2A proponents...strength and reassurance in numbers. It would also provide a psychological message that not only is OC normal and beneficial, there are large numbers of people who are doing so.

That positive psychological image is what is key here. People (sheeple?) have the mentality to go along with the herd. If they see a group (herd) of normal looking people having fun and enjoying life while armed (and obviously safe from violence), they may want that security and camaraderie as well. We make them want what we have; a happy life with family and friends while armed and peacefully exercising our rights. People will not get out of their comfort zones on their own, we have to show that there is a good reason to do so and that OCing is perfectly fine.

That is where the A in LOCAL comes from - creating awareness of our right.

And that is how we will win or lose this war.
Extremely well said

estcrh

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
So while the rest of us are chomping down on burgers and potato salad enjoying good company and the great outdoors you will be at home, quietly , hoping no one sees you have a gun on your hip?    Come on man, the more the merrier! It's gonna be good clean fun for all !  Besides I'm looking forward to meeting all the people I talk to on here, aren't you ?

Besides, what good is a right if you are so scared somneone is gonna say somthing, you miss a good 'ol BBQ ?
I would just like to see AVERAGE Americans be able to go some were and do exactly what they plan..sure there are many things that can go wrong...just like things can go wrong every day at ANY TIME....I do not think doing this one time will cause the sky to crash down If some thought and planning go into it.and I am willing to take a chance...anyone else?

LA Confederate

imported post

estcrh wrote:
....I do not think doing this one time will cause the sky to crash down If some thought and planning go into it.and I am willing to take a chance...anyone else?

That is the big IF that I was referring to earlier. If that "IF" is addressed and done properly then I'm willing to entertain the idea of going.

I can tell you though, coordinating an event like this takes a lot of effort and time.

CaptainDan

imported post

estcrh wrote:
CaptainDan wrote:
So while the rest of us are chomping down on burgers and potato salad enjoying good company and the great outdoors you will be at home, quietly , hoping no one sees you have a gun on your hip? Come on man, the more the merrier! It's gonna be good clean fun for all ! Besides I'm looking forward to meeting all the people I talk to on here, aren't you ?

I would just like to see AVERAGE Americans be able to go some were and do exactly what they plan..sure there are many things that can go wrong...just like things can go wrong every day at ANY TIME....I do not think doing this one time will cause the sky to crash down If some thought and planning go into it.and I am willing to take a chance...anyone else?
HEL* YEA, My whole family will be there, 5 of us in all. The only thing that could keep us away is if you hold it while I'm offshore.

Slidell Jim

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:

Bravo, La Confederate, well said.
I especially like the reference to Red Dawn. Good stuff.

NRAMARINE

imported post

barf wrote:
LA Confederate wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about for something that's completely legal in the first place and in no jeopardy of NOT being legal. If a bunch of OCers go out and make an impression on the public that is GOOD or BAD, it has the potential for some idiot politician or liberal group to start a movement to take away our rights. I can see it now - people complaining on the news and to their politicians that we just can't have these people wearing guns in public like this.

What the hell is so difficult about a regular citizen OCing during their normal daily lives? Why must we make a show out of it? I really wonder what's wrong with people sometimes.
The idea is to simply raise awareness with the public to THEIR RIGHTS. Most people including LEO's are full of misinformation. An event like this can create a very positive snowball effect. If you don't want to attend, don't. The last thing we need at an event like this is for there to be hostility of any kind. For this to be a success and achieve our goals of defeating anti gun ignorance and raising awareness we must hold ourselves to the highest standards possible. That means no arguing of any kind, no dramatics and no hostility towards anyone. In other words EVERYONE put your game face on and realize this is important and stay cool. If you can't get on the same page, fine don't attend. But don't try to discourage others. Myself, my wife, and my 4 year old daughter are in.:monkeyI'll bring the redbeans and rice.

estcrh

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
barf wrote:
LA Confederate wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about for something that's completely legal in the first place and in no jeopardy of NOT being legal.  If a bunch of OCers go out and make an impression on the public that is GOOD or BAD, it has the potential for some idiot politician or liberal group to start a movement to take away our rights.  I can see it now - people complaining on the news and to their politicians that we just can't have these people wearing guns in public like this.

What the hell is so difficult about a regular citizen OCing during their normal daily lives?  Why must we make a show out of it?  I really wonder what's wrong with people sometimes.
The idea is to simply raise awareness with the public to THEIR RIGHTS. Most people including LEO's are full of misinformation. An event like this can create a very positive snowball effect. If you don't want to attend, don't. The last thing we need at an event like this is for there to be hostility of any kind. For this to be a success and achieve our goals of defeating anti gun ignorance and raising awareness we must hold ourselves to the highest standards possible. That means no arguing of any kind, no dramatics and no hostility towards anyone. In other words EVERYONE put your game face on and realize this is important and stay cool. If you can't get on the same page, fine don't attend. But don't try to discourage others. Myself, my wife, and my 4 year old daughter are in.:monkey
Despite the typical forum bitch fest at the start (and remember this is just testing the water)I am sure that EVERYONE who actually plans to attend will do their individual best effort to self police this get together if it actually happens. I think someone should be in charge of just watching everyone (sargent at arms) for ANY signs of trouble (I nominate braf!)

I am confident that there is enough intelligent people on this forum that we can just get together, bbq etc and take some pictures and video and go home with NO problems at all..or I would not even think of participating as I like everyone here has something to lose if there is a hint of negative effect from this.

NRAMARINE

imported post

I would actually suggest turbodog for that. He posesses a calming temperment and wisdom that comes with his years of experience. I'll bring the red beans and rice.

55bowtie

imported post

Take a lesson from the bikers.Do it on private property.Fenced in with drive in and parking.Open to the public.Free admission.Ask them to bring their firearms.Get the owners permission to carry on his property.Have a speaker on safety,laws ,city and state rules etc.Try to get a senator or representative or a pro carry LEO to speak.Have Something for the kids to do.Venders.Call the media.Advertise way ahead of the event 2 months or more.Let people know whats goin on.

barf

imported post

55bowtie wrote:
Take a lesson from the bikers.Do it on private property.Fenced in with drive in and parking.Open to the public.Free admission.Ask them to bring their firearms.Get the owners permission to carry on his property.Have a speaker on safety,laws ,city and state rules etc.Try to get a senator or representative or a pro carry LEO to speak.Have Something for the kids to do.Venders.Call the media.Advertise way ahead of the event 2 months or more.Let people know whats goin on.
I think this is an excellent idea! It's on private property, so folks won't think you're shoving something down their throat or showing off in public.

barf

imported post

DannyAbear wrote:
barf wrote:
55bowtie wrote:
I think this is an excellent idea! It's on private property, so folks won't think you're shoving something down their throat or showing off in public.
That;s kinda like hiding out in the back room at Shoneys, isn't it?
No, it's not.