View Poll Results: Do you participate in the US Census?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because I believe it's important

13 59.09%
  • Yes, because I mistakenly believe I must

0 0%
  • No, Because I just don't care

0 0%
  • No, It's none of the governments business

9 40.91%

Thread: The truth about the US Census

Post imported post

There is a lot of misleading information out there leading people to believe that the US Constitution mandates everyone to participate in the Census. THIS IS NOT TRUE. The US constitution requires the the Federal Government conduct a census every ten years but nowhere does it say that we must participate.

I've placed a sign on my door warning them not to bother me because I've been woken up three times this week by Census runners. If you would like the sign I have to post on my door I've attached it to this post.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Post imported post

Why not just participate up to the point that is authorized in the constitution opposed to not participating at all?
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Post imported post

Because I believe the information gathered will be more often used for legislation counter to my best interests.. And the constitution don't say I have to participate at all, it just says the government must conduct one every 10 years.

Post imported post

I mean how else would the house of Reps work if they had no idea how many people resided in each state? It seems like a worthwhile reason to share that information, that is, just that information.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Post imported post

We participated because it provides Federal monies to our State. Glad to see Nevada get some of the money I gave to the Fed.

The information isn't really intrusive, especially when you consider they already have most of it elsewhere: DMV registrations, County Assessor (for the homeowners), SSN registration, etc. We omitted birthdates but answered questions about the number of people at the property. We own the home and have two roommates.

I agree participation is not mandatory but at this point I feel it's more beneficial to the state to stand and be counted.

Post imported post

I wrote the correct number of people, then checked every other box on the form. When the census taker came and asked what other natioality I said Antarctic American.

Census taker wrote it down, said thank you and left.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

The point I am trying to make here is not to debate the validity of the census, but to inform people that they don't have to participate regardless of what the media may claim.

I didn't appreciate being awoke the second and third time after politely telling the first guy that I chose not to participate. After all it was 1 pm, he had no way of knowing that I work nights. but he should have a way to turn in something to the census that says I'm not going to participate if others come to my door either. They apparently don't so that's why I have the sign.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I filled out mine indicating number of people living here and nothing else.

Post imported post

timf343 wrote:
    I filled out mine indicating number of people living here and nothing else.
    We as citizens have a responsibility to make sure the government works the way it was intended. Part of that is a head count for determination of representation, period, nothing else. As we fight against the illegal suppression of our firearms rights, we must thereforetake active involvement in our responsibilities. There is no law that says you must vote either but as a patriot I feel it is my responsibility. The second amendment does not say you have to carry a gun, but it guarantees that you have the method of defending self and state, in other words it is your responsibility. Give them the number of souls at your residence, and tell them the rest is none of their business.

BG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Post imported post

I put 2........checked the box for other, and put America........for names I put
    Mr........Mrs.

Post imported post

More money for NV isn't a bad idea

Didn't get the mailed version (probably because USPS doesn't do home delivery in my area) and no one from the Census showed up (though someone running for Assembly did)

Post imported post

TITLE 13 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 221.........States that you can be fined for refusing to answer census questions. So whether or not it's in the Constitution, it's still THE LAW!! Are you a LAC Nevada Carrier??

Post imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
    TITLE 13 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 221.........States that you can be fined for refusing to answer census questions. So whether or not it's in the Constitution, it's still THE LAW!! Are you a LAC Nevada Carrier??
    Fair enough. I just dropped my form in the outgoing mail answering that there is one person living at my residence leaving all other questions unanswered.

for the record I was sitting at my computer Friday afternoon and heard the dog go ballistic, I went out on the balcony to see a census currier departing, he looked up, made eye contact with me, shook his head and walked away.

I'm still leaving the sign up as I object to them sending people on pavement pounding missions to bother me at home.

Post imported post

I also answered the number of people living here and nothing more.

People have been prosecuted for doing so...I'm too lazy to look up the links at the moment...but its a risk I'm willing to take. They generally haven't prosecuted but it does happen.

During the last census I answered the same way...number of people only...and never had a visit. A friend of mine received one of the detailed questionnaires...it had many more questions than the standard form. She and her husband refused to answer anything more than number of people at the address. They did receive several visits and phone calls and were threatened with legal action. Ultimately they never answered any additional questions and never faced any repercussions.

I have a friend that just went through census training. I'm going to ask him what they told him during training.

Post imported post

I work for the Census. If you mailed the questionnaire after April 1st then someone is still going to come to your house. Since they are acting on official business they can still come on to your property(if you dont believe me feel free to call Metro next time and they will tell you the same)

Post imported post

FYI, I just talked to my friend that went through census training. They are told how to respond to specific concerns but not to be "heavy handed." If people refuse, workers are told to be one their way and report it to a supervisor. Their training did not cover what happens after it is reported.

Post imported post

Kathy England wrote:
    FYI, I just talked to my friend that went through census training. They are told how to respond to specific concerns but not to be "heavy handed." If people refuse, workers are told to be one their way and report it to a supervisor. Their training did not cover what happens after it is reported.
    The supervisor goes to the house

Post imported post

the only thing I gave them was my name and how many people lived here, of course he asked for my b-day, age, and ssn and i told him I refuse to give out that info and he said ok and said thanks and left
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Post imported post

I just wrote the number of people living here and taped it to the door.

Post imported post

Thats all I've done in the last four censes.......no problems

Post imported post

john-in-reno wrote:
    the only thing I gave them was my name and how many people lived here, of course he asked for my b-day, age, and ssn and i told him I refuse to give out that info and he said ok and said thanks and left
    If they asked for your SSN, it was a scam.

BG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Regular Member NewZealandAmerican's Avatar
    Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb of Provo in UTAH

Post imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
    There is a lot of misleading information out there leading people to believe that the US Constitution mandates everyone to participate in the Census. THIS IS NOT TRUE. The US constitution requires the the Federal Government conduct a census every ten years but nowhere does it say that we must participate.

I've placed a sign on my door warning them not to bother me because I've been woken up three times this week by Census runners. If you would like the sign I have to post on my door I've attached it to this post.
    Actually the Constitution only requires you to answer with the number of people in your household. So on the questionaire the only question you have to answer is one, question number one. I don't think it's without accident that question one on the census form is shaded in blue while all other questions aren't.
    (Dion Wood). MY FREEDOM PAGE[/COLOR] with valuable links to ALTERNATIVE MEDIA, Internet Radio shows and other sites to restore our FREEDOM & LIBERTYhttp://www.QRZ.com/db/KB9QFH TELEPHONE: +1(800)808-KIWI that's +1(800)808-5494 Tollfree. "NewZealander By Birth, American By The Grace Of God." See also http://www.facebook.com/NewZealandAmerican & http://RTR.org/NewZealandAmerican “IN MEMORY OF OUR GOD, OUR RELIGION, AND FREEDOM, AND OUR PEACE, OUR WIVES, AND OUR CHILDREN" (The Title Of LIBERTY)

Post imported post

NewZealandAmerican wrote:
    Nevada carrier wrote:

Actually the Constitution only requires you to answer with the number of people in your household. So on the questionaire the only question you have to answer is one, question number one. I don't think it's without accident that question one on the census form is shaded in blue while all other questions aren't.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.