• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shop "It's the LAW"

Mas49.56

imported post

I just got a Bass Pro Shop Spanish Fort, AL flyer in the mail. They are advertising a free "It's the law" seminar. "A complete review of local laws and ordinances. Get the facts about transporting and carrying your firearm." Friday, may 14 @ 7pm, Saturday & Sunday may 15 & 16 @ 2pm. You guys think they will tell the public that OC is illegal and to call in a MWAG? :p I'm tempted to show up Friday night OCing and see if they let me in. Free trigger block to the first fifty folks at each seminar. :dude: Im curious if the law expert is going to be a LEO.

FedFirefighter

imported post

I would definately bet on yes, they will say it is illegal. And yes, it will more than likely be a LEO. I like your idea of OC'ing there, but you may be asking for more of a hassle than you wanna mess with? I am very curious though.

AL Ranger

imported post

Go there OC and let us know what happens. Make sure to take copies of all OC documents with you. I'd be interested in knowing who the "official" is that teaches the session and what their opinion is to OC.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Do you think they are doing it at the one in Leeds? I'll have to check it out in the morning.

We could attend them all, but not, like, as a demonstration or anything.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Where is this place?

If it's not too far away I'll be there! I OC everywhere I go so it's no big deal for me to show up OCing. You get me the physical address so I can mapquest it and It it's not that far, I'll be there!

-Tim

EDIT: I like Mike's idea. show up discreetly and see what's going on. We may need to get some inside info on this. Who's with me?

dixieborn

imported post

Tim, I'll definitely by you lunch if you come down... but sorry man, Spanish Fort is Mobile area! I believe that's a bit of a hike for you.

I'm going to try to get over there if I can though, haven't decided whether to OC or CC yet... definitely have to print out some extra literature for that one...

B1911

imported post

I just got word about this going on at BPS in leeds AL , I will be there with my dad, I was going to open carry but dad doesn't want me to

Mas49.56

imported post

I'm going to try and make the 7pm one tonight, wife permiting. If I go i'll be wearing a green t-shirt that says "Infidel" on it. I'm CCing, I don't want to be accused of "Demonstrating" if I ask a question.:D

Mas49.56

imported post

Just got back home. I'm too tired for a long post, so I'll post more about it tomorrow. All I will say now is you guys are fighting an uphill battle. The deputy was the training officer for Baldwin county. Things he taught the class amazed me. It's against AL law to possess a short barreled rifle, shotgun, or silencer( wasn't that changed?). Open Carry is a "gray area", why do it, you will scare 90 year old ladies and they will call the cops on you. (actually used a 90 year old lady in the class to get his point across to me)It's better to just cc like I do off duty. No firearms signs have the power under 52 for them to arrest you on the spot, no trespass needed!! No carrying at "public gatherings" Like protests(correct) and mardi gras???? Never heard that one before.:banghead:

dixieborn

imported post

Well... I just got back from talking to said police training officer. :banghead:

I didn't even bother staying for the seminar... I had heard enough after our 30 minute conversation. He pulled out the 'scaring 90 year old ladies' thing, which of course has no bearing on the conversation of the legality of open carry. When I walked up to the scene, he was talking with someone else and started saying how "Open carry is a gray area because there is no case law..." at which point I immediately pulled out two copies of the tri-fold and gave one to the cop and one to the other guy standing there.

To his credit, he actually read through it, quickly. And then he started a whole line of argument that I had not encountered to date. He was, of course, open carrying, and he proceeded to put his arm over his weapon and say "Is it concealed now?" He goes on into how there has been no case law defining what is concealed and what is unconcealed. I was kind of dumbfounded at this line of reasoning as any "reasonable person" would not consider his gun to be concealed because his arm swung in front of it. Regardless of course, this really has no bearing on the conversation either since I am a pistol permit carrier and can carry both openly and concealed if I choose.

The next topic of conversation was my question of what he would actually do if I was open carrying, sitting at the local burger joint eating lunch, minding my own business. He (predictably) stated that he would at least take my gun and run the serial numberto see if I was a felon, etc, etc. I informed him that this would be an illegal seizure, which he hotly denied... I had brought the statute with me, pulled it out and showed him he needed reasonable suspicion that my carry of the firearm was a crime. Here, his words were "Oh I guarantee you I could develop reasonable suspicion sometime during that!"

This almost set me off, but at this point we were interrupted by the Bass Pro employee who said they had to go set up for the next seminar. He was very polite and pleasant. The cop was not, he refused to even shake my hand actually. And I made it a point to be polite with him the entire time... to no avail.

I didn't even get to the 'public demonstration' and short barreled rifles and shotguns stuff... Oh well, if someone around here wants to stop by tomorrow they can tackle those. And sorry, I left the voice recorder in the truck because I wasn't expecting to run into him at 1:15 when the seminar was at 2. Kind of a lame interaction... but this guy was kind of a lame LEO so that's what we get.

dixieborn

imported post

Oh, also: for those of you wondering about the sign at the entrance to Bass Pro Shops, I asked the lady at the front, and she said no that does not apply to legal concealed carry in the store. It does apply to open carry... this was after my conversation and I was not in the mood to go talk to a manager about that.

Also, HollowPoint, you mentioned that he would be correct about the public demonstration including any public event... why do you say that? If you read the definition of the law it sounds like it's actually limited to events with "communication or expression of views or grievances." Just wanted to hear the input on that.

cowboy67

imported post

Mas49.56 wrote:
Just got back home. I'm too tired for a long post, so I'll post more about it tomorrow. All I will say now is you guys are fighting an uphill battle. The deputy was the training officer for Baldwin county. Things he taught the class amazed me. It's against AL law to possess a short barreled rifle, shotgun, or silencer( wasn't that changed?). Open Carry is a "gray area", why do it, you will scare 90 year old ladies and they will call the cops on you. (actually used a 90 year old lady in the class to get his point across to me)It's better to just cc like I do off duty. No firearms signs have the power under 52 for them to arrest you on the spot, no trespass needed!! No carrying at "public gatherings" Like protests(correct) and mardi gras???? Never heard that one before.:banghead:
Sounds like we need to blast Baldwin Countywith emails showing case law and the current changes that they either are not aware of or refuse to learn.

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
The public Demonstration law would apply to any public event. He seems to be correct there, but the rest of that is an outrage. I can't really say I'm shocked but I'm still irritated about it. :banghead:
Demonstration is quite clearly defined and does not include any public event.

(1) DEMONSTRATION. Demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking or marching, holding of vigils and all other like forms of conduct which involve the communication or expression of views or grievances engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers. Such term shall not include casual use of property by visitors or tourists which does not have an intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
The public Demonstration law would apply to any public event. He seems to be correct there, but the rest of that is an outrage. I can't really say I'm shocked but I'm still irritated about it. :banghead:
Demonstration is quite clearly defined and does not include any public event.

(1) DEMONSTRATION. Demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking or marching, holding of vigils and all other like forms of conduct which involve the communication or expression of views or grievances engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers. Such term shall not include casual use of property by visitors or tourists which does not have an intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.
Mardi Gras would draw onlookers and a crowd. I'm a little confused here.