• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report

acmariner99

imported post

Well a couple of friends and I decided to hike Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon down to the river and back in a day. I was OCing my friend's "trail gun" a S&W .38 spl 6 shooter with hollow point and snake shot. No one paid me any mind at all. I did get a compliment including a "thank you for ecersising (spelling) your rights" from the manager of a gas station about 20 miles south of the park. It was a wonderful trip. I love this state!!

AZkopper

imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
FYI:

Open carry in a National Park is still illegal -- CC is now allowed.

You were fortunate.

WRONG.

National Parks now follow state law. It is legal to OC in AZ, so it is legal to OC in GCNP.

acmariner99

imported post

FYI:

You were fortunate.

I checked with the rangers prior to entering the park about carry. They said "carry within the allowances of state law -- only negligent discharges are illegal (no sport no hunting)"

mFonz77

imported post

Open carry is legal in any area of National Park in Arizona EXCEPT buildings such as ranger stations or gift shops. I am unsure if one would get prosecuted for OCing into a standalone bathroom "owned by the Federal government." :)

But I went out on February 22nd to Coronado memorial and OC'ed, no one blinked an eye.

Thanks for the report acmariner99! I'm going in a couple of weeks and will probably conceal but good to know all the same!

Thoreau

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
Well a couple of friends and I decided to hike Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon down to the river and back in a day. I was OCing my friend's "trail gun" a S&W .38 spl 6 shooter with hollow point and snake shot. No one paid me any mind at all. I did get a compliment including a "thank you for ecersising (spelling) your rights" from the manager of a gas station about 20 miles south of the park. It was a wonderful trip. I love this state!!

Was that the gas station at the north east corner of 64 and 180? (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Phoenix,+Maricopa,+Arizona+85050&ll=35.652759,-112.138588&spn=0.003134,0.004801&t=h&z=18)

I carried in there (concealed) after backpacking the canyon (Grandview trail) a few weeks back. The woman behind the counter (seen her there before, not sure if she might be the manager?) has always been friendly and seems like the type to be pro gun =) I'll have to OC next time I'm up there too. I OC'ed on the trail, but after that hike I was definitely in more of a CC mode mentally.)

OC was pretty uneventful then as well on the trail itself. Not one word at the trailhead (although I could feel a few stares.) One guy asked me if I was a ranger on the way down, and at the spring near the bottom another group asked me if I was expecting to see a lot of bears. I told them I sure hoped not since I was only carrying a .40 =)

Dunno about you, but I really expected a LOT more of a reaction from people there just due to the types of people that go there, out of town tourists, etc. It was a pleasant surprise to find it just as easy to OC there as at the local Walmart.

PavePusher

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
FYI:

You were fortunate.

WRONG.

National Parks now follow state law. It is legal to OC in AZ, so it is legal to OC in GCNP.

I've O.C.'d in Saguaro N.P. East several times so far. The Park manager is my next-door neighbor. :D

Edit: He was promoted/transferred from... The Grand Canyon. My life rocks. :celebrate

Thoreau

imported post

Interesting. The last time I tried OC in the Grand Canyon, I was threatened with arrest. Granted, that was a number of years ago.

It seems I was misinformed -- thanks for the correction.
The law allowing carry based on state law took effect I think around February of this year, so yeah, it would've been a federal offense to do so any number of years ago =) (OC and CC both included.)

acmariner99

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
acmariner99 wrote:

Was that the gas station at the north east corner of 64 and 180?  (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Phoenix,+Maricopa,+Arizona+85050&ll=35.652759,-112.138588&spn=0.003134,0.004801&t=h&z=18)

I carried in there (concealed) after backpacking the canyon (Grandview trail) a few weeks back.  The woman behind the counter (seen her there before, not sure if she might be the manager?) has always been friendly and seems like the type to be pro gun =)  I'll have to OC next time I'm up there too.  I OC'ed on the trail, but after that hike I was definitely in more of a CC mode mentally.)

OC was pretty uneventful then as well on the trail itself.  Not one word at the trailhead (although I could feel a few stares.)  One guy asked me if I was a ranger on the way down, and at the spring near the bottom another group asked me if I was expecting to see a lot of bears.  I told them I sure hoped not since I was only carrying a .40 =)

Dunno about you, but I really expected a LOT more of a reaction from people there just due to the types of people that go there, out of town tourists, etc.  It was a pleasant surprise to find it just as easy to OC there as at the local Walmart.

Sorry for the delay, I have been on the road the last couple of days. Yea, that was the gas station near US 180. The manager thanked me for carrying and henceforth had to buy something from them (even though it was a little pricey). So I thanked them for letting me carry by getting a nice GCNP wind breaker.

Now in the Evergreen State of Washington for the summer. Carrying up here should be interesting as I can't even leave my gun in the car when I am at work. Its a different world up here but OC is perfectly legal without a permit so I am going to keep it up!

Carry On!!

Mas49.56

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
Open carry is legal in any area of National Park in Arizona EXCEPT buildings such as ranger stations or gift shops. I am unsure if one would get prosecuted for OCing into a standalone bathroom "owned by the Federal government." :)

But I went out on February 22nd to Coronado memorial and OC'ed, no one blinked an eye.

Thanks for the report acmariner99! I'm going in a couple of weeks and will probably conceal but good to know all the same!

Bathrooms are fine. Just don't go in any building marked with a little no firearms sign.

acmariner99

imported post

Mas49.56 wrote:
mFonz77 wrote:

Bathrooms are fine. Just don't go in any building marked with a little no firearms sign.

Emphasis on little -- those signs ARE tiny but they are there

GWbiker

I decided to hit the indoor gun range in Tucson on Friday, so I loaded up my Polish P-64 9X18 (Great trigger action with Wolff spring kit, plus incredible accuracy) and my Beretta Tomcat .32ACP (Horrible trigger resulting in vague accuracy) strapped on my P-6 loaded with one in the chamber OC and headed out the door.

First stop was McDonalds on Swan & Ft Lowell for some quick eats. Once inside I noticed place was packed with school kids plus one monitor and several adult patrons. Kids couldn't help but see the P-6, but NO comments, no panic 911 calls, no screams for a lock down. No ZERO Tolerance outside of the school zone, I guess. It must be a picture of a gun that will hurt a child. /sarcasm/

Then off to Murphy's gun shop for some Makarov ammo.

At indoor range I did well with the P-64 but not so good with the Beretta.

Next stop was Sweet Tomatoes pasta & salad buffet on Broadway for some healthy food. Place was packed with snowbirds and usual liberal minded patrons who will eat, then hog the table for several hours. Again no comments or problems with people seeing a gun in public.

I love Arizona.

March Hare

I decided to hit the indoor gun range in Tucson on Friday, so I loaded up my Polish P-64 9X18 (Great trigger action with Wolff spring kit, plus incredible accuracy) and my Beretta Tomcat .32ACP (Horrible trigger resulting in vague accuracy) strapped on my P-6 loaded with one in the chamber OC and headed out the door.

First stop was McDonalds on Swan & Ft Lowell for some quick eats. Once inside I noticed place was packed with school kids plus one monitor and several adult patrons. Kids couldn't help but see the P-6, but NO comments, no panic 911 calls, no screams for a lock down. No ZERO Tolerance outside of the school zone, I guess. It must be a picture of a gun that will hurt a child. /sarcasm/

Then off to Murphy's gun shop for some Makarov ammo.

At indoor range I did well with the P-64 but not so good with the Beretta.

Next stop was Sweet Tomatoes pasta & salad buffet on Broadway for some healthy food. Place was packed with snowbirds and usual liberal minded patrons who will eat, then hog the table for several hours. Again no comments or problems with people seeing a gun in public.

I love Arizona.

That's been my experience here in Az as well, mostly just curiosity about what I'm carrying.
Our pistols could be cousins, I have a Vz-82 in 9mm Makarov.
It causes a little curiosity because it's not a common gun.

I love AZ too!

Carry on!

-MH

rickc1962

The other day I just finished filling my pickem up truck with go juice when I notest some people next to me tring to take my picture, thay drove off and parked about 100 ft. away, the driver got out and walked up to me and said he had all his family here from Italy, thay seen me and asked him if that was a real gun with real bullets I was carrying and he told them it was. Thay were so excited to see this that thay wanted there picture taken with me, now remember as I have wrote on other threads I do dress like a cowboy. There were 3 adult woman, 2 adult men and 2 children, thay all crowded around me for there pictures. I have to say tho I did a no no, thay have never seen a gun up close so I did brandish my firearm so thay could get a better picture, I never relinquished my firearm, but instead held it in front of the two children that were standing in front of me. Thay said thru there relative that lived here that thay loved the U.S., and said thay could not even own a gun in Italy. Thay thought it was great we had the freedoms we had to own, carry and even protect ourselves with a firearm. All and all it was a good day, thay were not afraid, did not call 911 or run for the hills, and just maby them two young lads will grow up and get some form of gun rights passed for the people of Italy.

sFe

The other day I just finished filling my pickem up truck with go juice when I notest some people next to me tring to take my picture, thay drove off and parked about 100 ft. away, the driver got out and walked up to me and said he had all his family here from Italy, thay seen me and asked him if that was a real gun with real bullets I was carrying and he told them it was. Thay were so excited to see this that thay wanted there picture taken with me, now remember as I have wrote on other threads I do dress like a cowboy. There were 3 adult woman, 2 adult men and 2 children, thay all crowded around me for there pictures. I have to say tho I did a no no, thay have never seen a gun up close so I did brandish my firearm so thay could get a better picture, I never relinquished my firearm, but instead held it in front of the two children that were standing in front of me. Thay said thru there relative that lived here that thay loved the U.S., and said thay could not even own a gun in Italy. Thay thought it was great we had the freedoms we had to own, carry and even protect ourselves with a firearm. All and all it was a good day, thay were not afraid, did not call 911 or run for the hills, and just maby them two young lads will grow up and get some form of gun rights passed for the people of Italy.

This post is wrong on so many different levels..

rickc1962

Pleese tell me why?, I do not know how things are done in N.C. but in Az. we have reeenactments, carry everyware openly, even in banks, we ride horses, were cowboy hats and boots and try to educate any way we can. I do not apologize for my actions, the sangle action ruger I carry or the way I dress, I eat, sleep, dress, work, think and live the cowboy way of life. I am sorry if this offends you, if I did anything wrong at would be brandishing, but if you and I were in the parking lot of a gun show and you wanted to see my firearm you would not complan if I showed it to you. The fact of the matter is I made not only there day but probably there vacation, and that with there memories and pictures of an old Az. cowboy was well worth it.

lykwidtepp

I don't see anything wrong either, sounds like they had a fun time and got to learn a little about Arizona and the 2nd Amendment. I personally wouldn't have taken it out of the holster, but nonetheless sounds like you made their vacation a little more exciting and educational.

Sonora Rebel

How's that? I've done the same with German 'n French tourists in my 1880's rig or daily... which isn't that much different among the cowboys here. This isn't 'back east'. This is America the way it was all over... and should be again.

sFe

Holding a loaded gun in front of kids that have absolutely no clue about gun safety, in public nonetheless, is far from educational IMO. I'm glad it turned out okay, but it could have went south very fast. Since my other issue has been beaten to death on this forum I'll just quote someone:

I am not bringing this up to single anyone out, or to start trouble. This forum is read by people from all walks of life. People who wholeheartedly support 2A read this forum. People who are Anti-2A read this. People who are "on the fence" read this. The Antis paint us as knuckle dragging Neanderthals already. Why give them more ammo by not checking our spelling when we type? Some of these posts I read sound like they're being written by a 3 year old. That button in the top right that says "ABC" is a spell checker. BTW, my spelling is not so special either. That's WHY I use the spell checker. Sonora Rebel is a special case. He does it intentionally to have an old west sound to what he writes. I can respect that. However, some of you really make the rest of us look dumb. Just a thought.