• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to buy an AR 15

CUOfficer

imported post

I am looking to buy my first AR 15 rifle. I would like to know what everyone's experiences are with them. Do youhave any specific recommendations? I would like something in .223 and want a 4-sided rail for accessories. Was thinking about an Armalite for their warranty. However, I am open to any and all advice. Thanks in advance!

marrero jeff

imported post

if you are willing to spend the money, daniel defenses new rifle is excellent. i love mine. their omega rail is by far the lightest i've ever held and it comes with a 1:7 twist barrel for shooting heavier bullets. i've never had a ftf ,fte,etc... with mine. and it is dealy accurate with my ACOG. the only down side is the basic rifle is about $1300-1400. well worth the money in my opinion though

Hunterdave

imported post

I own several AR's, but one of my favorites is my SW M&P in 5.45x39.
I have run about 8000 rnds through it without a hiccup and ammo
for it is cheap.Price is about $800- $1000.

Also love my LMT and my....well I love them all!

Be careful of BRD !!!:lol:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bought my Ruger SR-556 in January & LOVE IT. $ 1400.00-1500.00

The SR-556 is a semi-automatic rifle carbine manufactured by U.S. firearms company Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.. The rifle was introduced in 2009, marking Ruger's entry into the popular AR-15 market. It is one of several new AR-15 platform rifles to utilize gas piston operation.

overview The rifle features a patent-pending, "two stage" piston mechanism as opposed to the standard AR-15 direct impingement system. Gas flow is controlled by a four position regulator. Several key parts, such as the gas piston, gas regulator, and bolt/carrier group are chrome plated. The bolt carrier features an integral lug in place of the AR-15's gas key. The flash hider is similar to Ruger's AC-556 and Mini-14GB.

The rifle includes a number of other manufacturer's parts such as a Troy Industries railed handguard and folding iron sights, a Hogue rubberized pistol grip, and three Magpul PMAG 30 round magazines. The barrel is 16.25 inches, chrome lined, and features a six groove, right hand, 1:9 inch twist.

CUOfficer

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
if you are willing to spend the money, daniel defenses new rifle is excellent. i love mine. their omega rail is by far the lightest i've ever held and it comes with a 1:7 twist barrel for shooting heavier bullets. i've never had a ftf ,fte,etc... with mine. and it is dealy accurate with my ACOG. the only down side is the basic rifle is about $1300-1400. well worth the money in my opinion though
I am not paying for it, my girlfriend is!!!! It's our compromise for her getting an engagement ring, but I get an advance on the gun! Which model do you have from them?

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Build it yourself. I purchased a CY6 lower for $110.00, the trigger group for $65.00, my LMT with a 1:7 twist 16'' barrel including LMT bolt carrier group for $624.00, my Magpul hand guard $60.00, my Magpul 6 position stock for $68.00 and 10 Magpul 30rnd mags for $189.98 plus 1000 rnds of .223 62 grain ammo for $278.00 for a total of approx $1,487.94 (including tax). Just the weapon without tax cost me $927.00 and I've been told by the gunsmith that I had make sure everything I put together was good that if I were to buy this system off shelf, that it would cost me (without ammo or mags) around $1,500.00.

Building it yourself also familiarizes you with the weapon that just buying a completely assembled weapon will not do.

CUOfficer

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Build it yourself. I purchased a CY6 lower for $110.00, the trigger group for $65.00, my LMT with a 1:7 twist 16'' barrel including LMT bolt carrier group for $624.00, my Magpul hand guard $60.00, my Magpul 6 position stock for $68.00 and 10 Magpul 30rnd mags for $189.98 plus 1000 rnds of .223 62 grain ammo for $278.00 for a total of approx $1,487.94 (including tax). Just the weapon without tax cost me $927.00 and I've been told by the gunsmith that I had make sure everything I put together was good that if I were to buy this system off shelf, that it would cost me (without ammo or mags) around $1,500.00.

Building it yourself also familiarizes you with the weapon that just buying a completely assembled weapon will not do.
Can you provide me with the resources for this? I would be interested to know where you purchased everything and part numbers. PM me if you don't mind.

architect

imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
I am not paying for it, my girlfriend is!!!! It's our compromise for her getting an engagement ring, but I get an advance on the gun!
So if you break the engagement you get the ring back, and she gets the EBR?!?!?!

Watch out for some of the guys on this forum! :)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also have a Defensive Edge CY6 lower with a Magpul UBR stock & A Busmaster trigger group , Waiting for a few months for a LMT MRP Rifle length Upper , then I will have 2 AR-15's....... a Ruger SR-556 & a Custom..:)

I got 5000 rounds of 556 ammo - good to go there.

Although I would recommend just buying one complete for your first AR15. Just my own opinion.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I also have a Defensive Edge CY6 lower with a Magpul UBR stock & A Busmaster trigger group , Waiting for a few months for a LMT MRP Rifle length Upper , then I will have 2 AR-15's....... a Ruger SR-556 & a Custom..:)

I got 5000 rounds of 556 ammo - good to go there.

Although I would recommend just buying one complete for your first AR15. Just my own opinion.
honestly, heavy rails will wear you down after a while... I have removable rails that work just fine. All that metal on that upper looks heavy.

marrero jeff

imported post

heavy rails are a thing of the past. go pick up a larue or daniel defense. theyre featherweights. now if you go for a mid west ind. you're looking at some real weight.

BTW, Magpul makes of the best accesories on the market. thats all i have on my rifle. magpul stock, pistol grip, foreend frip, sling, rail covers, and sights. all are excellent

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
heavy rails are a thing of the past. go pick up a larue or daniel defense. theyre featherweights. now if you go for a mid west ind. you're looking at some real weight.

BTW, Magpul makes of the best accesories on the market. thats all i have on my rifle. magpul stock, pistol grip, foreend frip, sling, rail covers, and sights. all are excellent
If they are a thing of the past like you say, how come everyone wants them & LMT almost can't keep them in stock ?

marrero jeff

imported post

i said HEAVY rails are a thing of the past. After i noted that larue and daniel deense make extremely light rail systems. i wasnt commenting on the rail itself, i have the daniel defense omega rail. i was commenting on the weight comment.

marrero jeff

imported post

also, if you're thinking about getting an ar-15, don't beleive all the hype about the direct impingement system being crap, it just isnt true. i put about 1800 rounds through mine with no cleaning in the magpul class and not a single malfunction unless we were using bad mags to simulate jam clearing drills. while a piston system is excellent (i want the hk mr556), a direct impingement system is excellent also.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
also, if you're thinking about getting an ar-15, don't beleive all the hype about the direct impingement system being crap, it just isnt true. i put about 1800 rounds through mine with no cleaning in the magpul class and not a single malfunction unless we were using bad mags to simulate jam clearing drills. while a piston system is excellent (i want the hk mr556), a direct impingement system is excellent also.
I had a Bushmaster XM15e2s DI Carbine for years, Never an issue with it, but it did get DIRTY & hot, while the Piston system keeps cool & clean.....I guess I like the Piston more, since the AK & FAL's have been using them since the late 40's & 50's, very reliable.

CUOfficer

imported post

Good stuff here guys. Thanks for the input. As far as I know there isn't a local place that would let me test anything out so I will work off of your recommendations!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'll add my .02,

Buying an AR really depends on what you want the thing to do. I had a bunch of them in all different calibers before a tragic boating accident. DPMS AR10 in 300 WSM that weighs 18lbs, Bushmaster varminter, Olympic Arms frankengun with bushy lower chambered in 243WSSM, Another frankengun with parts from Oly, DPMS, Bushy, MEGAand RRA, not to mention various lowers from CDD, DPMS, MEGA, and spikes tactical.

Building one is easy if that's the way you want to go but sometimes you can get it cheaper by purchasing it in one shot. I've never had a problem with any of the parts from any of the manufacturers I listed above. IMHO Armalite is overpriced and so is S&W and likely Remington after their aquisition of Bushmaster. DPMS and Olympic Arms are usually reasonably priced and many of the other smaller manufacturers can be as well. The only one I probably wouldn't buy (unless it was an old original) would be a Colt because the Colt has different sized pins than every other manufacturer.

Do you want one that will drive tacks, one that's short and fast, something in-between? Those are the real questions I think.

AbNo

imported post

That reminds me, I need to get more parts for that stripped lower I picked up the day after the last election... :uhoh:

But I'm getting a recurve bow first. :)