• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to buy an AR 15

Aaron1124

imported post

They compared the AR15 Armalite and the AK 47 on Deadliest Warrior with a few different weapons tests. They determined the AR was more accurate and the AK was more reliable, as the AR had some firing problems after it was dropped in some mud.

"For long-range weapons, the IRA's AR-15 was tested against the Taliban's AK-47. The AR-15 was capable of hitting a smaller target, meaning it was more accurate; actually hitting each of its target in one shot, which the AK-47 failed to do. The AK-47 was the victor of a reliability test involving mud. After the reliability test, Geoff decided to take the assault rifles into his own hands to decide. In his test, Geoff liked the AR-15 better, earning it the win."

So I guess it comes down to; would you rather have a long distance rifle that may not always hit it's target at a decent range, but isn't known for jamming, or a long distance rifle that is very good at hitting it's target at a decent range, but has a higher potential for jamming up under less than ideal conditions, and then weighing out exactly how often it does jam and compare that to the accuracy of it, and decide if it's a better option than the AK.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:
my daniel defense rail weighs less than a pound dude. sure if you spend $100 on one, it'll be heavy, but if you can drop $200-300 on one, you can really get a efather weight.
Ok, first, Glock34, the two posts with big unrelated pictures was totally uncalled for... seriously, grow up and stop wasting thread space on goofy pictures.

And Jeff... there in lies the rub... nobody who wants to buy a good weapon for a reasonable price wants to spend 300 dollars on a hand guard... no matter how nice it is. Mine (with three additional rails) was only 60 dollars, it is very lightweight. My Magpul MOE hand guard weighs around 6oz and the three picatinny attachments bring its weight up to 8oz. The cost is in his price range.
ok, first Washintonian_For_Liberty , the pictures were supposed to be funny so Lighten up, second I will post any pictures I chose to post..what ya gonna do about ?

Second, just because your poor and can't afford decent equipment , don't mean we have to buy cheap plastic hand guards because you don't like quality aluminum free float quad rails. oh, they are only too heavy if your a weakling.

CUOfficer

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
CUOfficer wrote:
I started the thread to get people's input on the basics of selecting an AR 15. There is no need to argue about who's got the bigger d*ck. I was just wondering what people have and how they like it.

There's no use arguing 'cause it's me! :lol:

Back OT, if you read my last post I like AR's PERIOD :DLike I said, it all depends on what you want in the rifle, whether or not you'd like to build it yourself,and how much you want to spend.

I am not paying for it but would like to keep it under $1,500. I would like something that I can accurately shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yards with. I can build it myself, but wouldn't mind buying one first.

Can someone tell me if you can use .223 in a gun chambered for 5.56?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
CUOfficer wrote:
I started the thread to get people's input on the basics of selecting an AR 15. There is no need to argue about who's got the bigger d*ck. I was just wondering what people have and how they like it.

There's no use arguing 'cause it's me! :lol:

Back OT, if you read my last post I like AR's PERIOD :DLike I said, it all depends on what you want in the rifle, whether or not you'd like to build it yourself,and how much you want to spend.

I am not paying for it but would like to keep it under $1,500. I would like something that I can accurately shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yards with. I can build it myself, but wouldn't mind buying one first.

Get one that's chambered for 5.56mm as it's a higher pressure cartridge, then you can shoot 223 in it all day long. Bushmaster makes fine AR-15's.

CUOfficer

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:
my daniel defense rail weighs less than a pound dude. sure if you spend $100 on one, it'll be heavy, but if you can drop $200-300 on one, you can really get a efather weight.
Ok, first, Glock34, the two posts with big unrelated pictures was totally uncalled for... seriously, grow up and stop wasting thread space on goofy pictures.

And Jeff... there in lies the rub... nobody who wants to buy a good weapon for a reasonable price wants to spend 300 dollars on a hand guard... no matter how nice it is. Mine (with three additional rails) was only 60 dollars, it is very lightweight. My Magpul MOE hand guard weighs around 6oz and the three picatinny attachments bring its weight up to 8oz. The cost is in his price range.
ok, first Washintonian_For_Liberty , the pictures were supposed to be funny so Lighten up, second I will post any pictures I chose to post..what ya gonna do about ?

Second, just because your poor and can't afford decent equipment , don't mean we have to buy cheap plastic hand guards because you don't like quality aluminum free float quad rails. oh, they are only too heavy if your a weakling.
Wow, way to make us Wisconsinites look like jerks. Can't we just have a simple discussion and keep it on topic?

CrossFire

imported post

I have a DPMS 16" Light I bought it just before the election and am quite happy with it. I know some say that DPMS is low end but Ienjoy it and it only cost me $750.00 +tax.:D

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:

Wow, way to make us Wisconsinites look like jerks. Can't we just have a simple discussion and keep it on topic?
you can thank Washingtonian for that..all I did was post a couple funny pics, he blew it up into a big deal.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
I have a DPMS 16" Light I bought it just before the election and am quite happy with it. I know some say that DPMS is low end but Ienjoy it and it only cost me $750.00 +tax.:D
DPMS makes very good rifles, nothing wrong with them.

Diocoles

imported post

easy as canbe.

Build it yourself and see.

Buy what you want and put it together the way you want.

AR15 platform is the Barbie for Men. Dress it any way you want.

CUOfficer

imported post

What does the difference in twist mean? 1 in 7 vs. 1 in 9, etc... I understand it's the twist in the barrel but does a smaller ratio mean better accuracy?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
What does the difference in twist mean? 1 in 7 vs. 1 in 9, etc... I understand it's the twist in the barrel but does a smaller ratio mean better accuracy?
1:9 is for lighter grain rounds 55 grain to maybe 62 , where the1:7 twist allows you to shoot heavier grain rounds 62 grain & up. Most people prefer the 1:7 , but most AR-15's from Bushmaster, Smith+Wesson,Ruger, etc come with the 1:9

I have been using the 1:9 for the last 10 years....I have no issues with it.

marrero jeff

imported post

if you want to shoot the heavier SD loads like me ( 77gr hornady tap) get the 1:7, it stabalizes the bigger bullets better. However, if you want to shoot 55gr-62gr SD rounds, 1:9 is fine.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:

Hmmm... I've never seen an AR that couldn't shoot better than a 4" group at 100 yards, even with iron sights; depends on the "nut behind the trigger" of course.

Like Glock said, get one in 5.56 if you want to shoot both .223 and 5.56. If you want a tack driver (bug holes at 100 yards) go for .223 and only shoot .223 in it. That being said; I've got a 5.56 chambered, completely stock bushy that will shoot 5 rounds under a quarter at 100 (telescopic sight).

As for the twist rate, I agree with the above posters. It all depends on what ammo you'd like to use. I usually shoot smaller varmint bullets in mine; 50gr Vmax to be specific so I use the 1:9 twist. If you don't care to shoot heavier ammo go with that. I believe 1:7 to be overkill for all but the heaviest of bullets.

You do know that AR's are like potato chips, you can't buy just one. Once you have the first one you will no doubt succumb to BRD or Black Rifle Disease, and buy more of them and probably start building them. BRD is an incurable affliction that is highly contagious.

Since your 4" accuracy requirement doesn't narrow it down at all; your best off going and picking up a few different models to see what configurationyou like. Once you decide on a configuration look at the various manufactureres that offer it and buy the one you want.

okboomer

imported post

DPMS Panther AP4 Carbine (Mil Spec): 16" barrel 4140 Chrome-moly steel (heavy duty),1x9 twist, 7# empty, sling, 2 mags, 5.56x45. (That's a collapsable stock ~32" to ~36")

I added the NeStar P4Sniper Reticle (lighted) and rings, top picatinny rail, 6 mags and padded case. Found thisand the partsat a local gun show (Metcalf)

All this for $795 +$150 parts and case2 years ago :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

ARandAccessoriesSmallWebview.jpg

Gunslinger

imported post

Just bought a Doublestar Star Carbine (M-4) and love it! Accurate, 100% functionality and for $666 plus another $54 for a spare mag and A-3 handle. Much preferred it over anything I looked at within $450 of its price (DPMS carbine.) US made and been in business for a long time making uppers and lowers for other manufacturers, and the barrel is made by TC. Bought it from Buds. I don't think you can beat it unless you're going to the $12-1500+ range. 5.56 NATO penetrators will punch a hole in a 3/8" hot rolled steel plate. Meets my needs, as primarily a handgunner, very well.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Just bought a Doublestar Star Carbine (M-4) and love it! Accurate, 100% functionality and for $666 plus another $54 for a spare mag and A-3 handle. Much preferred it over anything I looked at within $450 of its price (DPMS carbine.) US made and been in business for a long time making uppers and lowers for other manufacturers, and the barrel is made by TC. Bought it from Buds. I don't think you can beat it unless you're going to the $12-1500+ range. 5.56 NATO penetrators will punch a hole in a 3/8" hot rolled steel plate. Meets my needs, as primarily a handgunner, very well.
$ 54.00 for a spare mag ??!! WOW !!! C-Products sells them for 11.95 each , P-Mags are about 14.00 each. shop around, wow you got taken.

I got a 1000 rounds of 5.56 62 Grain Green Tip's here, with another 1000 on the way.

http://www.ammoman.com

http://www.cproductsllc.com

PavePusher

imported post

This will probably be of no help whatsoever, but Rock River Arms makes a nice AR...

And I just won a free one in an NRA raffle. I pick it up tomorrow... :celebrate