• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to buy an AR 15

PavePusher

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Just bought a Doublestar Star Carbine (M-4) and love it! Accurate, 100% functionality and for $666 plus another $54 for a spare mag and A-3 handle. Much preferred it over anything I looked at within $450 of its price (DPMS carbine.) US made and been in business for a long time making uppers and lowers for other manufacturers, and the barrel is made by TC. Bought it from Buds. I don't think you can beat it unless you're going to the $12-1500+ range. 5.56 NATO penetrators will punch a hole in a 3/8" hot rolled steel plate. Meets my needs, as primarily a handgunner, very well.
$ 54.00 for a spare mag ??!! WOW !!! C-Products sells them for 11.95 each , P-Mags are about 14.00 each. shop around, wow you got taken.

I got a 1000 rounds of 5.56 62 Grain Green Tip's here, with another 1000 on the way.

http://www.ammoman.com

http://www.cproductsllc.com
He said "spare mag and A-3 handle...", so not such a bad deal.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Just bought a Doublestar Star Carbine (M-4) and love it! Accurate, 100% functionality and for $666 plus another $54 for a spare mag and A-3 handle. Much preferred it over anything I looked at within $450 of its price (DPMS carbine.) US made and been in business for a long time making uppers and lowers for other manufacturers, and the barrel is made by TC. Bought it from Buds. I don't think you can beat it unless you're going to the $12-1500+ range. 5.56 NATO penetrators will punch a hole in a 3/8" hot rolled steel plate. Meets my needs, as primarily a handgunner, very well.
$ 54.00 for a spare mag ??!! WOW !!! C-Products sells them for 11.95 each , P-Mags are about 14.00 each. shop around, wow you got taken.

I got a 1000 rounds of 5.56 62 Grain Green Tip's here, with another 1000 on the way.

ahhhh, my bad..that makes sense:) sorry.

okboomer

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
This will probably be of no help whatsoever, but Rock River Arms makes a nice AR...

And I just won a free one in an NRA raffle. I pick it up tomorrow... :celebrate
Congratulations! I LOVE to win nice guns ... I have won 3 in raffles ... the pretty Kimber and the Beretta in my avatar, and a Puma Lever Action that is pure sweetness!

CUOfficer

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
This will probably be of no help whatsoever, but Rock River Arms makes a nice AR...

And I just won a free one in an NRA raffle. I pick it up tomorrow... :celebrate
So what you're saying is you've got one for sale? (evil snicker)

langoley

imported post

I just built a bargain model for plinking.I used a Sharpes lower for $55,and a 20" bull barrel varmit from AK parts kits for $459,so for a grand total of $515 I hava a nice stainless barrel 5.56 truck gun.:D

Gunslinger

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Actually, quite a good deal from Midway. $12 bucks for the AR-Stoner magazine, made by C-Mag, and less than 40 for the A-3 handle which works great. AR-Stoner is Midway's brand. Have shot the rifle twice so far, and it has functioned perfectly except for one stuck round--Wolf, so not unexpected. It's junk, but cheap for breaking in a new rifle. For about the same price, Tula or Brown Bear is better, but still Ruskie junk. I have 5.56 NATO M 855s for home defense and will shoot Federal .223s for target practice. Ordered two more mags for the M-4. More fun to have them loaded before going to the range. The NATO rounds will stay at home. Everyone should have an AR type rifle when you can get one as good as the Doublestar for $700-750. I prefer the M-4 length, but nothing wrong with the AR-15 either.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Actually, quite a good deal from Midway. $12 bucks for the AR-Stoner magazine, made by C-Mag, and less than 40 for the A-3 handle which works great. AR-Stoner is Midway's brand. Have shot the rifle twice so far, and it has functioned perfectly except for one stuck round--Wolf, so not unexpected. It's junk, but cheap for breaking in a new rifle. For about the same price, Tula or Brown Bear is better, but still Ruskie junk. I have 5.56 NATO M 855s for home defense and will shoot Federal .223s for target practice. Ordered two more mags for the M-4. More fun to have them loaded before going to the range. The NATO rounds will stay at home. Everyone should have an AR type rifle when you can get one as good as the Doublestar for $700-750. I prefer the M-4 length, but nothing wrong with the AR-15 either.
Actually V-Max 55 Grain or 62 Grain soft point Varmit loads or Horandy TAP loads are the best for Home Defense, M855 ball ammo might over penetrate , but these rounds will expand inside the target.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
So is it required that you buy your lower from someone with an FFL? Midway USA doesn't sell them unless you have an FFL.
If you can find someone local that has a lower you can do a face to face cash sale....but if you buy it new, then you need to go through an FFL.

Gunslinger

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
CUOfficer wrote:
So is it required that you buy your lower from someone with an FFL? Midway USA doesn't sell them unless you have an FFL.
If you can find someone local that has a lower you can do a face to face cash sale....but if you buy it new, then you need to go through an FFL.
The lower has the fire control system. That's why the ATF chose it as the controlled item. As Glock says, face to face is under the same state rules as buying a full weapon. Otherwise, FFL needed to transfer. Remember, you can have it shipped from Midway or any other licensed dealer to the FFL of your choice. Just like buying the whole rifle from Buds.

Batousaii

imported post

I personally like the AR system, it's a good light weapon. I used the M-16A2 and later the M-4 Carbine while volunteering with Uncle Sam, so i can tell you for certain they do not like to get too dirty, sandy, muddy etc. They CAN be fickle about it, just keep it clean and it'll serve you well.

- I have a preference for vintage equipment, and to entice you with a historical piece, the Vietnam era XM177E2 Commando is very very light. It is a lead-farmers wet dream. Not as accurate as the 20" barrel, but as a carbine plays a different role. For a house defense arm, it is excellent, tight corners and swift movements accommodated by it's light short handy size. My wife absolutely loves it, with her being 4'10" @ 90lbs.

For your viewing pleasure, SGW XM177E2 Commando, 5.56mm 12" barrel (16" with perm-attached flash suppressor) 6 lbs. Notice the A1 Lower is correct for the era it represent - sexy - classic.

;)Bat

FightingGlock19

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
I personally like the AR system, it's a good light weapon. I used the M-16A2 and later the M-4 Carbine while volunteering with Uncle Sam, so i can tell you for certain they do not like to get too dirty, sandy, muddy etc. They CAN be fickle about it, just keep it clean and it'll serve you well.
Is that right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SSQ_wIG4o

Batousaii

imported post

good video - and the tests are always fun to watch. However, and again from personal experience, when you been crawling through silty mud, rain and funk for hours, or subjected to long windy days in sand and various sundry extremities, the M-16 system can become problematic. However same, throughout history, has been noted for many other well built and trusted weapons that have spanned the worlds armies. I have even seen an AK-47locked tight as a frogs yahoo.

- Fact is, i have experienced, first hand, a slow grungy M-16 bolt carriergrinding to a stop just before locking, forcing me to use the forward assist every few rounds. Mypreviously clean rifle, now covered with hours of clayish film-like muck, i actually poured a canteen of water over the bolt to wash it, affording me about 30 rounds before the silt found it's way back in, and again thecarrier making that uncomfortable slow grinding. it would have stopped almost any rifle.

- Fact is simple,M-16/AR-15 is a good little weapon, accurate and reliable in most conditions. The system itself is not impervious from the conditions. The tests i have seen, i can usually scrutinize them, and my rifle likely would have endured the same tests. It's the "real tests" that real extremities afford that will ultimately test the metals of a given firearm. The M-16 is a good weapon, but again, it likes an amount of love... this is not an opinion based off tests or reading. My opinion isbased off years of first hand field experience with this system, both in the M-16A2 rifle, and M-4 configurations. having built my first AR-15A1 back in the late 80's when i was younger, and having shot countless others, i will indeed say, i have seen a few built (customised) that seemed to handle certain conditions better. Aftermarket parts can tailor the weapon to suit certain conditions better than others, but as a stock general statement, my words will hold true. As a former infantry line sergeant, my field experience with the M-16 was mixed. When time was available for good PM, the weapons worked better. Being in extended sh!t for days, the rifle can be fickle - trust me. It likes to be loved.

;)Bat

Edit to say: In no way am I trying to say the M-16 is a bad system, i have, will/would trust my life to a good M-16 / AR-15. They are great arms. But to effectively utilize any machine, you need to know it's strengths and weaknesses - Know it's limitations. Our house rifle is the above stated XM177E2, so to point, my life (and my wifes) would be staked on that rifles reliability. I do trust and love those guns. But do not for a second think it is infallible... or, simply do so at your own risk.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
i have, will/would trust my life to a good M-16 / AR-15. They are great arms. But to effectively utilize any machine, you need to know it's strengths and weaknesses - Know it's limitations
So, basically, you're saying the AK is like a biker chick and the AR is like a prom queen. Treat each accordingly? ;)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

catass wrote:
Batousaii wrote:
i have, will/would trust my life to a good M-16 / AR-15. They are great arms. But to effectively utilize any machine, you need to know it's strengths and weaknesses - Know it's limitations
So, basically, you're saying the AK is like a biker chick and the AR is like a prom queen. Treat each accordingly? ;)
yup, a used up, sloppy, biker chick that has alot of hard miles on her, but still she keeps putting out...yes, I would say that's fair..

My SR-556 is like a freeking sexy azzed victoria secrets model that works out at the gym & knows martial arts...Hot, TOUGH & deadly.....:D

Batousaii

imported post

catass wrote:
Batousaii wrote:
Exactly! :pand they can both be "the best you ever had" - hehe