• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while out biking?

LaCrosseKevin

imported post

Did a search about this topic and can't find anything here about bicycling while carrying. Some say a bike is a vehicle, but technically not a motor vehicle with a glove compartment.

Can't seem to find anything on this topic.

I've been chased by many dogs, luckily never attacked yet, but this would certainly give me confidence as I put my miles on.

david.ross

imported post

I know the issue of vehicle carry from looking over PA's statutes. I'm not sure of the statutes in Wisconsin, but I'm sure vehicle covers all vehicles, not just motor vehicles.

Check the statutes and local ordinances and see if you can carry a cattle prod, preferably the high voltage cattle prod. Ed Frawley, a dog trainer who has an issue with free roaming dogs while going on walks, has discussed the issue.

You should email him, as he probably knows the legal issues of carrying weapons against free roaming dogs.

His email address is frawley [at] leerburg.com

Personally, I thought about a cattle prod myself as a deterrent so I wouldn't have to shoot a dog.

LaCrosseKevin

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
In Wisconsin? Wisc. Stat. §167.31 and it refers to vehicles and not to motor vehicles. The definition is in the Chapter or referred.
Just wondering if someone knows. Someone in here must have ran across this issue before. (not just for dogs)

david.ross

imported post

Are you sure about that? Frawley mentions cattle prods in one of his videos. Unless he is ignorant in the laws and mentioned the use...

Seeing the WI statute...
Chapter 941.295 Possession of electric weapon. Subsection (1) On or after July 1, 1982, whoever sells, transports, manufactures, possesses or goes armed with any electric weapon is guilty of a Class E felony. Subsection (4) In this section, "electric weapon" means any device which is designed, redesigned, used or intended to be used, offensively or defensively, to immobilize or incapacitate persons by the use electric current.

LaCrosseKevin

imported post

when i was younger i got busted with a stun gun ... misdemeanor ... any electronic weapon = stun gun.

what you're quoting was probably prior to the popularity of stun guns that you can put in your pocket (thus new laws too).

david.ross

imported post

:? Reading various weapons laws in WI, they seem to want people to be victims in the state. What on earth happened to create such a putrid environment of criminalizing people who want to defend themselves?

You have wolves in Wisconsin, has nobody been eaten yet by a pack of wolves while walking/riding a bicycle like here in Alaska?

Aaron1124

imported post

If you don't want to use deadly force on a dog, I'd suggest a canister of pepper spray. Dogs have an incredibly keen sense of smell as it is, and pepper spray has an effect on them much greater than on a human.

LaCrosseKevin

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/8864.html

This is how I do it in Arizona. Don't know how well this would work, or the applicable laws, in Wisconson.

Good Luck!
Cool, I'm thinking it must be legal here, as being on a bike, you're not concealed in the confines of the vehicle.

I see why you want to carry,,, those yellow shoes and red shorts :monkey LOL

LaCrosseKevin

imported post

wow talk about short memory span LOL

okok, the yellow shoes are bad enough LOL

(no, really, thanks for posting and sharing though)

PavePusher

imported post

LaCrosseKevin wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/8864.html

This is how I do it in Arizona. Don't know how well this would work, or the applicable laws, in Wisconson.

Good Luck!
Cool, I'm thinking it must be legal here, as being on a bike, you're not concealed in the confines of the vehicle.

I see why you want to carry,,, those yellow shoes and red shorts :monkey LOL

Yeah, yeah.... I wore the blue shorts for contrast, yeah, that's it, contrast.

Ain't I just a fashion plate? Now, try and keep up... :lol::celebrate