Thread: OCing while fishing

Newport News, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

OK, so I am in Florida to see my folks flew into Tampa, rented a car and drove south. Crossing a huge causeway and bridge I can see hundreds of people fishing off of what I believe is an old bridge and causeway next to the bridge I am driving on and it appears that the old bridge has been turned into some sort of park. Is it O.K. to open carry while I fish from this bridge park?

I ask because I might OC if I can be sure that the law does not prohibit OC while fishing.

The exception to the OC prohibition as I understand it:

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition."

Please give any nuances about Florida law that I should be aware of.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA

Post imported post

Perfectly legal to open carry while fishing. The cops may not know this, sokeep a copy of 790.25 with you.

Campaign Veteran
    Palm Bay, Florida, USA

Post imported post

Hold on a sec. I see it's been verified that it's ok when fishing in state parks, but around bridges or say casting into Indian river I have not seen verified.

If I'm mistaken please point out the thread where it was but from what I see, it LOOKS like there could be a case made for fishing anywhere and OC'ing.

I haven't seen anyone verify that with an official or a lawyer even.
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Post imported post

Yes it is legal to OC anywhere it is legal to fish, unless you have a fishing pond at the local elementary school, courthouse, etc.

State preemption stops any county or municipality from making a rule to stop you.