• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I buy a gun via GunBroker from private seller while under 21?

t33j

imported post

Purchase a gun from a private seller through gunbroker, and pick the gun up from my FFL even though I'm not yet 21? (< 2 months away)

TFred

imported post

t33j wrote:
Purchase a gun from a private seller through gunbroker, and pick the gun up from my FFL even though I'm not yet 21? (< 2 months away)
IANAL, but my understanding of the situation is that if the private seller is out of state (I assume this is why you are using an FFL), then the FFL must be used, and they must adhere to all normal FFL rules, which would include not selling a handgun to an under-21 year old person.

If they are only doing the transfer though (not otherwise a party to the sale), and especially if you are a customer ("my FFL"), I would imagine they would accept the shipment from the seller and hold the gun for you until your birthday. "My" FFL told me they would do that if I found a second gun inside the 30 day limit time period.

YMMV.

TFred

t33j

imported post

Sorry forgot to clarify... Gun would be bought from an out of state, private individual. I see it as a simple transfer but who knows. I'll call tomorrow.

TFred

imported post

t33j wrote:
Sorry forgot to clarify... Gun would be bought from an out of state, private individual. I see it as a simple transfer but who knows. I'll call tomorrow.
The problem is that private interstate transfers are illegal! That is why you are required to use the FFL to do the transfer, and all the federal laws kick in.

TFred

t33j

imported post

My experiences mirror yours. I have a for sale ad up right now.

I wonder how much of a headache it would be to transfer a gun to myself through a FFL even though it's not required. :idea:

gis

imported post

TFred wrote:
I'm sure the selection is much smaller, but this would solve your interstate problem: http://vaguntrader.com/

I've made a couple excellent purchases there, only one dud seller who stood me up and then disappeared.

TFred
I have also had great experience on Vaguntrader in the 6 months I've been there. I am way past the point of actually needing anything, so I usually buy when I see a great deal, which averages about once ot twice a month. I found that great deals go quickly and it helps monitoring the site frequently.

t33j

imported post

gis wrote:
I have also had great experience on Vaguntrader in the 6 months I've been there.  I am way past the point of actually needing anything, so I usually buy when I see a great deal, which averages about once ot twice a month.  I found that great deals go quickly and it helps monitoring the site frequently.

I remember a few months back it seemed like you couldn't get a good 1911 unless you saw it within the first 30 minutes.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TFred wrote:
I'm sure the selection is much smaller, but this would solve your interstate problem: http://vaguntrader.com/

I've made a couple excellent purchases there, only one dud seller who stood me up and then disappeared.

TFred
I had a buyer just disappear on me as well. Made a good purchase, a good trade, and one good sale though, highly recommended overall...

nova

imported post

TFred wrote:
t33j wrote:
Curse arbitrary age requirements
Or the abuse and misinterpretation of the Interstate Commerce Clause...

Sorry...

TFred
fixed.

gis wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
I have also had great experience on Vaguntrader in the 6 months I've been there. I am way past the point of actually needing anything, so I usually buy when I see a great deal, which averages about once ot twice a month. I found that great deals go quickly and it helps monitoring the site frequently.
Like that P226/.357 for under 4 bills and beat me to by less than a minute? :p:cool:

I've gotten some good deals on VAGT as well. Good site.