• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry in a bank?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

nowaysayhey wrote:
Can you open carry in a bank, is that considered federal property?
You're probably the 20th person to ask this here... plz try using the search function.

However, this may be the first time I've heard it asked if a bank would be considered federal property... so I'll answer that.

Banks are regulated by the federal government, like airports, gun stores, and many other places. However, to my knowledge not a single bank is owned/operated by the US government.

Even the twelve "Federal Reserve Banks" are privately owned and operated.

wewd

imported post

Some open carriers in various states have been told by bank managers and police that banks are federal facilities due to their FDIC membership; this is not true. Your account is federally insured, but the bank is not owned by the federal government nor are the employees of the bank federal workers.

18 U.S.C. § 930:

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
not more than 1 year, or both.

(1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part
thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing
their official duties.

mjones

imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
as long as the bank does not post "no weapons" and does not fall into the 1000ft zone of schools; it is OK to carry in a bank.
"No Weapons" signs mean absolutely nothing in this state. You might be asked to leave in violation of a company's policy, but it has no bearing of whether you can or cannot carry according to the law.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Wrap your mind around this. The Federal Reserve isn't even a federal entity, it's a privately own business with privately own property.