• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB 1934--appropriations committee

nowaysayhey

imported post

here is an email list of all the assembly people on the appropriations committee that will vote on AB 1934 tomorrow.

Assemblymember.DeLeon@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Ammiano@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Duvall@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Fuentes@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Hall III@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Jones@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Price@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Solorio@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Strickland@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Feuer@assembly.ca.gov

also here is a sample of the letter i wrote

Dear Senators and Assembly Appropriations Committee Members, I noticed that on May 12 you are scheduled to hear AB 1934 proposed by Assemblywoman Lori Saldana.

She is submitting a bill for something that does not need fixing. By the bill's description you are aware of what codes she wants to change. She is concerned about police resources being diverted to check out people who under California law are following the rules. She also claims that criminals will carry weapons in plain site.

That argument makes no sense. If you are a criminal or felon you will not open carry a weapon on your person and then invite a police officer to do a legal 12031e check where they will discover you are a criminal and take you to jail.

The sheriff in the radio interview below refutes her claim that many calls are being put out to law enforcement to check on people with guns. She wants to make us feel that so many tax dollars are being wasted on these calls, when they are not.

I personally do not own a gun and I would not oppose someone following the California law and also expressing their 2nd amendment right.

I am including this link to a short radio interview on L.A. radio station 89.3 KPCC with
Assemblyman Curt Hagman, Assemblywoman Lori Saldana and Lt. Wayne Bilowit, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2010/04/21/californias-open-carry-gun-law-challenged/

I urge you to please take the time to listen to this interview where you can get a balanced viewpoint from each of the sides.

In closing I would like to thank you for your time, wish you continued success and I am truly happy that I could participate in my government and express my views.

NightOwl

imported post

nowaysayhey wrote
If you are a criminal or felon you will not open carry a weapon on your person and then invite a police officer to do a legal 12031e check where they will discover you are a criminal and take you to jail.
THAT argument makes no sense. It's a good idea to OC with no ID on your person in this state. As such, the echeck (which is an intrusion into the lives of regular people in the first place) makes for a poor argument, since 12031 only allows them to inspect the firearm to see if it's loaded, and run the serial number if it comes into view during the course of that. There are models of handgun where the number is partially obscured by the design of the gun, and furthermore a person isn't required to carry a firearm that's only registered to them. Nor are you required to produce ID, though not carrying any is advised for various reasons.

I am not a criminal or a felon, and I most certainly don't invite police to echeck me either.

nowaysayhey

imported post

yep, you are totally correct on your answer. I agree it is smart not to carry your id when you open carry in CA. yes when and if they do a 12031e check on you they can only check to see if the gun is loaded.

my argument, you understand was against the logic of the assemblywomen in the radio piece. I hope you get to listen to it.

demnogis

imported post

When calling I got much of the generic "We'll pass your thoughts along" line. No surprise this will go along party lines. We may get a more comprehensive support group in state senate.