• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked To Leave Gander Mountain This Morning While Open Carrying

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well folks, went to my favorite Gander Mountain here in Kenosha this morning and on the way out the door I was approached by a sales manager. He informed me that only police were allowed to open carry in their store. I informed him he was incorrect and pointed to the new Gander Mountain sign which states that open or concealed carry is allowed in the store within state law. He said he had seen the new sign but had not heard about G.M. corporate stating that open carry was allowed in the store. The conversation was pleasant and I asked him to please contact corporate and call me once he gets the information on open carry. He told me he was a gun owner himself and also wants to open carry. I gave him Wisconsin Carry's information and asked him to join us.

So until this is resolved no open carry in Gander Mountain in Kenosha.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
So until this is resolved no open carry in Gander Mountain in Kenosha.
I disagree - others should feel free to DISCREETLY open carry there - the sign even welcomes it.

It sure does. I read it out loud to him and informed him that G.M. had issued these new signs BECAUSE of allowed open carry so everyone would know it is OK to do so in G.M. stores.

But I CANNOT open carry there until I am informed by management that it is OK since I was told not to. If I did open carry there I could be arrested for trespassing since I was already warned not to this morning.

Anyway, he has my contact information so when I hear from him I will post again.

M

McX

imported post

time for another letter to go out from WisconsinCarry.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

We have an exceptional relationship with Gander Mountain. Wisconsin Carry even held our annual meeting at the Madison Gander Mountain. I have contacts all the way up the chain from the local stores to executive VP's at their headquarters in Minnesota.

I KNOW they support open-carry and I KNOW its communicated in manager meetings on a regular basis.

I placed a phone call to one of my contacts who will be calling the Kenosha store right away. I understand the manager at the Kenosha store is away this week actually up in Minneapolis (at corporate), so my contact is going to place a call to the "2nd in command" down there.

This will be cleared up VERY shortly. (probably within the next 15 minutes) I'll talk to my contact again this afternoon just to confirm that he was able to reach the store personnel down there, but I assure you this will be cleared up asap.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Edited with new information!

Just got a call from the manager that spoke with me. He said he checked and that it is perfectly fine to open carry in his store.

He also is going to inform all the staff that open carry is perfectly acceptable in Gander Mountain so there should be no more issues.

I asked him to join Wisconsin Carry and I think he is going to do so!

Thanks Nik for your help!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
We have an exceptional relationship with Gander Mountain. Wisconsin Carry even held our annual meeting at the Madison Gander Mountain. I have contacts all the way up the chain from the local stores to executive VP's at their headquarters in Minnesota.

I KNOW they support open-carry and I KNOW its communicated in manager meetings on a regular basis.

I placed a phone call to one of my contacts who will be calling the Kenosha store right away. I understand the manager at the Kenosha store is away this week actually up in Minneapolis (at corporate), so my contact is going to place a call to the "2nd in command" down there.

This will be cleared up VERY shortly. (probably within the next 15 minutes) I'll talk to my contact again this afternoon just to confirm that he was able to reach the store personnel down there, but I assure you this will be cleared up asap.

Nik,

How can I PM you? I remember you posting something about the comma in your title throwing off the PM's.

Thanks again!

M

McX

imported post

i swear rak, if you want to get tossed out of places, come over here, and i'll toss you out if it makes you feel better. :lol:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
i swear rak, if you want to get tossed out of places, come over here, and i'll toss you out if it makes you feel better. :lol:

LOL! Steve, I drove to your place of business the other day and I can see why you want to open carry at work!

I couldn't find a parking spot and didn't want to park on the street so I did a u-turn and headed back home. I was in the area and thought I would drop by.

Oh, and I haven't given up on that transportation yet to the picnic Sunday!

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I dropped off w.c.i. membership forms tucked in open carry pamphlets a few days ago o.c walked past 2 employee's who welcomed me as I walked by, store had just opened.

jrm

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:

But I CANNOT open carry there until I am informed by management that it is OK since I was told not to. If I did open carry there I could be arrested for trespassing since I was already warned not to this morning.
You of course should conduct yourself as you believe appropriate, but I don't think this is an accurate reflection of trespass law.

You either are banned from the property or you are not. If you are welcome on the property without a gun, then you are not banned from the property.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh, I agree 100% as long as I do not wear my sidearm. My point is I WOULD wear my sidearm therefore I could not go back until the issue was resolved otherwise it would be trespassing. I know I am not a lawyer but that is my understanding.

It is all moot now anyway. The manager called me and told me it was perfectly fine to open carry in his store! He was very cordial and the conversation was good on both sides!

:dude:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jim! You are correct! LOL! I have to admit I was actually shocked this morning. I mean, come on, there is a SIGN that states OPEN CARRY is OK in the store and then......I didn't know what to say. LOL! I have to admit though that this is one heck of a learning experience and I learned a lot today. ;)

All in all it was fine and I was happy to meet a person concerned about his store and the people that shop there. No harsh words, nothing said that was disruptive.

Are you going to make it this Sunday to the picnic? :cool: