• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st day with permit OC'ed right away

ctfireman

imported post

Just got my permit from troop G yesterday, picked up my guns that have been sitting at the gun shop for months & oc'ed to a few different stores & while taking a long walk with the dog. I had my loaded springfield 1911 in a speed scabbard & it went great.....no looks or comments. Carry on everyone!

twistedfury

imported post

That's awesome. I finally took the plunge yesterday and OC'd for the first time. Couple of looksbut it seemed like people for the most part minded their own business.

sheepdaddy

imported post

That's Great. I too have had ZERO problems. Now that you have your permit and firearms, it would be a good time to get training that includes safe handling and more importantly...drawing from a holster.Retention techniques would be another class that would be very helpful too.

Good Luck and have fun.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Fireman,
Since you're in Bridgeport I'd check out the following classes at Bridgeport Shooting Range

Fundamentals of shooting (not a bad class, and a pre-req)
Defensive Pistol 1, 2
Firearms laws

I haven't taken DP3 yet but plan to and they also have a retention class as well as low light.

The classes are fun but also challenging the instructors are top notch too.

Good luck with the training, it's good for comfort and skill with your carry pistol.

midnight61

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Fireman,
Since you're in Bridgeport I'd check out the following classes at Bridgeport Shooting Range

Fundamentals of shooting (not a bad class, and a pre-req)
Defensive Pistol 1, 2
Firearms laws

I haven't taken DP3 yet but plan to and they also have a retention class as well as low light.

The classes are fun but also challenging the instructors are top notch too.

Good luck with the training, it's good for comfort and skill with your carry pistol.
I can attest to those classes being very good and somewhat necessary if you choose to carry. Be careful when jumping into the deep end of the pool, you'll want good swimming skills so you can enjoy the water.

GoldCoaster

imported post

It might be a bit hectic there tomorrow because they are having a benefit shoot to help defray some costs to a member who got in a bad M/C accident. I have a very busy day tomorrow but I'm gonna try and swing by and make a donation and buy some raffle tickets at least.

They are all good people at the range, Paul the owner has years of LE and private security experience and teaches the laws class, you will want to take that class as it gives you some real life hints at where your mind should be at in a self defense or potential self defense situation.

The stuff I learned in the DP classes you don't read about you learn while doing and hopefully committing to memory. They are huge on safety (which I don't bring up as a surprise kind of thing, but if they weren't I wouldn't go there).

Oh and if you have kids they teach a FREE child firearm safety class along with some range time with a bolt action 22. My son took it (he likes to shoot anyway) and enjoyed it and put the certificate on his wall along with his targets.

Deadman514

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Oh and if you have kids they teach a FREE child firearm safety class along with some range time with a bolt action 22. My son took it (he likes to shoot anyway) and enjoyed it and put the certificate on his wall along with his targets.

How old do they have to be?

GoldCoaster

imported post

ctfireman wrote:
Yeah, i know about chris, he's a dispatcher. i thought the benefit shoot was saturday?
Crap you are right! I went to the carnival tonight and it re-wired my brain to think it was Friday.

The benefit shoot is on SATURDAY - sorry for the brain fart.

As for age limits on the class. I think the youngest they had was 5 or so. My son was 9 when he took it.

It's basic Eddie Eagle stuff complete with a video and some handouts they can color if they want.

They have some little Savage arms bolt action 22 rifles for the kids to shoot and each kid has their own instructor so it's very hands-on and closely controlled.

Anvil

imported post

I do have to add the benefit of training, it is a necessity.
I have also taken many of Paul's classes, and I still take with me daily much material he taught me from years past.
He's been teaching for a long time and has a great way about him.
I highly recommend him and his classes.

dcmdon

imported post

When I sign off on people who have taken my NRA class to get their pistol permit I remind them that they do NOT have the skills to carry outside the home yet.

To reinforce that, I mention that they have not received any instruction in:
1) choosing a holster
2) drawing from a holster
3) shooting from retention
4) point shooting
5) shooting one handed (if the other hand is holding a flashlight)
6) shooting in low light (90%+ of all defensive uses of a handgun occur at night)

In addition to the additional training I STRONGLY recommend you find some local IDPA style shooting in your area. Nothing like a little pressure to flush out flaws in your skills.

I hope this helps.

Don

GoldCoaster

imported post

Right, a little pressure in a safe and controlled environment with people who can watch you (and you watch them) - easier to learn from other people's mistakes - is a huge benefit and on top of that, a whole lot of fun.

dcmdon

imported post

One other thing about going to an IDPA type event.

Don't worry about not knowing anything. Seriously, as long as you can draw from a holster safely, thats where the initial instruction comes in, people will go out of their way to help you and make you feel comfortable.

I remember the first high power match I ever did. It was at Blue Trail, I had no clue, but brought what I thought I was supposed to bring.

A group of guys from Quaker Hill had me squadded with them then they instructed me throughout the entire match.

One guy even loaned me a shooting jacket and a genuine select fire M14 to shoot.

So just go. Leave your ego at home and bring enthusiasm and a desire to learn.

Oh yeah, and bring a gun, ammo, eyes, ears, a baseball cap and at least 5 mags.