• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This ain't California...

mrh2008

imported post

MK wrote:
mrh2008 wrote:
Would that be a chalk outline on the sidewalk outside the door and a "scoreboard" on the wall nearby?

nowthat's a good one!
I wishI came up with that one, unforunately, it was We-The-People that wrote that and not myself. Just thought i'd give credit where credit was due. :D

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Wow, i was suprised to see a vid like that from Komiefornia. Lance sounds like a good man, too bad it ended the way it did after the 5th robery. Its unfortunate.
I agree. The problem in this case isn't that our self-defense laws are bad (they're actually pretty gun, except for the gun laws themselves), it's that Lance is a minority in places like L.A. He singled himself out for attention from the gangs whose members he killed in self-defense, and felt the need to go into hiding.

*1911_man*

imported post

That was crazy. That guy has got some mad skills.

Classic case of dont screw with a man wearing a Rollex

mrh2008

imported post

marshaul wrote:
He singled himself out for attention from the gangs...
I can nearly guarantee that he didn't do it for attention from gangsters, i don't know him personally but he seems like a good man. I think he did it because he didn't want to die, in his circumstances he did the right thing.He did it to survive, not for attention from gang bangers... he didn't want to start a war between gangsters and jeweller's, he just wanted to keep living.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I can nearly guarantee that he didn't do it for attention from gangsters, i don't know  him personally but he seems like a good man. I think he did it because he didn't want to die, in his circumstances he did the right thing. He did it to survive, not for attention from gang bangers... he didn't want to start a war between gangsters and jeweller's, he just wanted to keep living. 
At what point did I imply that was his intention?

I merely pointed out it was the end result.

mrh2008

imported post

marshaul wrote:
mrh2008 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I can nearly guarantee that he didn't do it for attention from gangsters, i don't know him personally but he seems like a good man. I think he did it because he didn't want to die, in his circumstances he did the right thing.He did it to survive, not for attention from gang bangers... he didn't want to start a war between gangsters and jeweller's, he just wanted to keep living.
At what point did I imply that was his intention?

I merely pointed out it was the end result.
marshaul wrote:
thats were you said it, lol... he didnt do it for attention from gangsters... it'd be a little dif if you said "he acted in self defense and got the attention of local gangs for killing one of their own." sounded to me like you thought he did itto getthe gang bangers attention. sorry, my bad.

We-the-People

imported post

Okay, this is starting to sound like my English class. I understood exactly what he MEANT to say, even if the technical aspects weren't entirely perfect for scholarly work.

Then again we have a hard enough time getting someone to post a citation when they "quote" the law around here so I'm thinking we're no where near scholarly in our writing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I surely didn't mean to suggest that Lance did anything wrong!

My point was just that, in L.A., the very act of defending yourself against a gan IS singling yourself out. Folks are expected to simply acquiesce to criminals.

Open question to the forum: how common is that, in other places with lots of gang activity? Someone who defends themselves against a gang member must eventually go into hiding to escape retaliation? Is this universal to every place with a serious gang problem, across the entire county?