• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yes Or No

lil_freak_66

imported post

i shot the one kimberguy has,i LOVE it.

fit me perfectly and i was holdin a great group.

i wouldnt buy a firearm w/o seeing how it fits your hands,how well you shoot it...and all that other stuff people say to pay attention to.

sevenplusone

imported post

I love Beretta 92's. They are a fantastic firearm. Lot of holster/equipment options and a reliability track record that is hard to beat.

That said, $500 is on the high end of what those go for used.I personally wouldn't pay more than $450 for that one (even though it looks in good shape w/lots of extra mags).

ETA: That RIA 1911 is a nice piece, but I don't know if I would recommend it for a 1st handgun unless I got to check it for reliability. I do love a good shiney 1911.

Wglide90

imported post

First, $500 way too much for run of the mill used Beretta. You can buy new better guns for that. It may be a bit heavy and larger than someother designs.

I haven't changed my mind since weighing in on the other threads, but I like buying good AMERICAN products when I can and I really like S&Ws. I have friend that can't wait to get a M&P like mine, he' selling .357 to get one. I have friend with XDm and likes it again a good American product.

M&P/XD +'s:

Accurate, easy shooter.

Super easy and quick break-down and cleaning.

Reliable, high quality.

Great Customer Service, factory repair in USA!

S&W has life time warrenty on anything. I think Springfield (XD) same.

Light and carryable.

Made in USA.

Michigun

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
First, $500 way too much for run of the mill used Beretta. You can buy new better guns for that. It may be a bit heavy and larger than someother designs.
I agree with this, but don't worry about your first "carry" gun. You'll soon find out 1 is never enough. :cool:

SlowDog

imported post

I have to concour. 500 for a used Baretta?!?! I've seen them go for 325.00. That being said, IMO go for a 45. You'll be glad you did. Preferreably a 1911. You can't beat almost 100 years of taking care of business....just sayin....:quirky:quirky

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It depends on your budget.

Wglide90 has some really good points. 92f is a fine gun but it doesn't mater how many mags he throws in if the gun has been abused. Never buy a used pistol without taking it to a range first.

If your on a tight budget S&W has the sigma in 9mm or 40 cal for about $330 - 350 and you can get a $50 rebate or opt for two spare mags instead. (The better deal in my opinion. This gun (9mm) has all the characteristics as a Glock 19 without the big price tag. Only con is trigger pull (heavy) but this is a easy / inexpensive mod.

Check out this write-up.

http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm

malignity

imported post

DO NOT GET A SIGMA.

I'll repeat.

DO NOT GET A SIGMA.

Omfg, that was the absolute WORST gun I have EVER EVER laid my hands on, let alone actually owned.

They are terrible in every sense of the word.

I'm sorry, but I can't rightfully let anyone spend that kind of money on a new Sigma when they can get a used Glock for the same price. They may look similar, but comparatively speaking, a Sigma is a Ford Pinto, and a Glock is a Porche 911. Yes, they're both guns that sorta look similar, but that's where the similarities end.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Did you own one of the 1990's sigma's (they had problems)? The new ones have had the bugs fixed I'm told. I range tested a 9mm & a 40 cal recently, they fuctioned flawlessly. You can see from my name I am a Glock fan ( I own a 17 & 19) but honestly I think they are good guns (Sigmas) for the money. Have you tried to buy a used Glock lately? He'll have to search high & low to find one near $400.
:what:

malignity wrote:
DO NOT GET A SIGMA.

I'll repeat.

DO NOT GET A SIGMA.

Omfg, that was the absolute WORST gun I have EVER EVER laid my hands on, let alone actually owned.

They are terrible in every sense of the word.

I'm sorry, but I can't rightfully let anyone spend that kind of money on a new Sigma when they can get a used Glock for the same price. They may look similar, but comparatively speaking, a Sigma is a Ford Pinto, and a Glock is a Porche 911. Yes, they're both guns that sorta look similar, but that's where the similarities end.

malignity

imported post

To give you an idea, I sold my Sigma for a Glock. The person I sold it to hated it, and sold his for a Glock as well. Apparently the guy he sold it to also hated it, and sold it for an XD.

I guess I didn't explain why I hate them so much.

They feel very top heavy, and recoil more than a Glock; the polymer seems lighter and weaker to me than a Glock does. The rear sights are 'drift-adjustable' which means you can move them left and right. They're also made of Polymer, and they move ALL OVER THE PLACE. Whenever I pulled my gun out of my holster, whether or not I was OCing or CCing, they were NEVER where I had put them prior. At one point in time, they had literally almost came off the gun. What good is my gun going to do me if I can't use the sights?

Next, the trigger pull. The only thing I can say about this is 'Oh my God.'

It claims it is an 8lb trigger pull. I've fired 12lb revolver triggers that have less pull than this. It literally feels like a 15lb pull, and when you're pulling a trigger like that, unless you have absolutely AMAZING trigger control and a grip like The Incredible Hulk, your hand will jerk, and you will not shoot on target.

To give you an idea, I almost failed my CPL class because of this gun's trigger. Our instructor told us we had 10 rounds, and had to get all 10 rounds on an 8 inch paper plate at 10 yards to pass the class. We had time to practice before hand, and I wasn't even hitting the plate when I got there. (Granted, I fired guns before, but had only fired about 400 rounds through that particular gun, and wasn't super familiar with it) When my CPL instructor checked my shooting stance, posture, and grip and found all three to be correct, he asked to see my gun so that he could try it as well. He shot at the plate 3 times, and missed the plate all 3 times because of the trigger pull. Then, one of the range safety officers, a detective, took a few shots, and got one on the plate out of 3 shots, but he was kneeling.

Eventually we were able figure out and solve the problem, and I was able to hit the target semi-reliably, but I must say, that I've never had that problem with any pistol I've ever shot in my entire life, and nor should I. Handguns, with proper posture, should shoot all generally the same, and your first shot should ALWAYS be on target, or pretty damn close, if it's a quality gun. The fact that we had to 'figure it out' is not something you want to toy with imo, especially if it's your first gun. It was mine, and I encourage you not to make the same mistake I did. :)

malignity

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
Did you own one of the 1990's sigma's (they had problems)? The new ones have had the bugs fixed I'm told. I range tested a 9mm & a 40 cal recently, they fuctioned flawlessly. You can see from my name I am a Glock fan ( I own a 17 & 19) but honestly I think they are good guns (Sigmas) for the money. Have you tried to buy a used Glock lately? He'll have to search high & low to find one near $400.

Nope, I owned a 2008 Sigma, 2 tone, just like in your picture. .40 cal.

I'm a Glock fan too (from my avatar) but omg, I can't believe you can even compare them! lol.

Check MGO, there's Glocks going all the time for $400 or less. I've seen them as cheap as $275 for Generation 2's on there. I personally spent $689 for mine (with Trijicon night sights) from Target Sports, and after seeing how cheap they go on MGO, I'm kicking myself in the ass for spending so damn much.