• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yes Or No

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not debating here just asking: when was you Sigma made? In my post I did say the triggers suck but can be modded down to a 4lb pull for around $20 if your handy.

There are many choices for a first gun - If he can afford all of them is another question. He may be loaded $$$ if not we need to now his budget and try to help him out. If your ripping on an old pistol design that S&W admitted had flaws I get your anger. If it was a new one then I will take it as valued input. The pistols I shot at the range grouped well (both just inside 3") at 50ft. I did not holster them so I can't comment on the sight drift other than to say I put 50 rounds of +P through both & noticed no drift. Some guns just don't work well for everyone I guess???

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sold & it had over 4,000 rounds put through it!

malignity wrote:
Here we go.

Glock 23, 3rd Generation, $400. (This is actually my daily carry weapon, so I know they're nice. :D)

Comes with night sights and 3 magazines, looks like a nice piece. Also has a rare grip safety, similar to an XD (only ever seen that on one glock ever, other than this one. Wow)

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90616&highlight=glock

malignity

imported post

It's back up for sale.

4000 rounds is nothing for a Glock, you should know that. :) The thing looks spic and span. My Glock has at least that much through it, and I still have a semi-difficult racking it sometimes because the springs are still so tight.

malignity

imported post

Could be.

I almost want to trade mine in for that added grip safety. I like that. :p

I'd lose all my custom trigger work though, my Glock shoots like a 1911.

Notice though that even after 4000 rounds, the price is almost still close to new. They don't depreciate value much... that's saying something :)

eastmeyers

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
First, $500 way too much for run of the mill used Beretta. You can buy new better guns for that. It may be a bit heavy and larger than some other designs.

I haven't changed my mind since weighing in on the other threads, but I like buying good AMERICAN products when I can and I really like S&Ws. I have friend that can't wait to get a M&P like mine, he' selling .357 to get one. I have friend with XDm and likes it again a good American product.

M&P/XD +'s:

Accurate, easy shooter.

Super easy and quick break-down and cleaning.

Reliable, high quality.

Great Customer Service, factory repair in USA!

S&W has life time warrenty on anything. I think Springfield (XD) same.

Light and carryable.

Made in USA.

Personaly I would grab it, if you want made in the USA look for an M9 instead of the 92, same pistol except 100% made in USA, harder to find but they are out their.
God Bless

wolverine1856

imported post

My 2 cents:
DO NOT GET A SIGMA. Not going to write pages as to why, the reasons have been listed and it's just my opinion.

I think he needs to buy from a person so new from a dealer is out.

The 92 is big, heavy, outdated, but it is a good reliable gun.

If I were you I would wait and keep looking for a used M&P or used glock. Both can be had for the same price or less than that 92.

The more I read your posts the more I feel like asking if you want my g23, but I don't think I'm ready to part with it yet.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.randyshuntingcenter.com/ruger.html#anchor_56

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]P Series 9mm 3.9 Inch Barrel Stainless Steel Finish Fixed Sights 15 Round Accessory Ready
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Feature a reinforced-polymer frame which includes a Picatinny-style rail to mount your favorite accessories and a rounded trigger guard. Grip areas are textured for a non-slip hold while the remainder of the frame has a pleasing matte finish. Blued models have an alloy steel slide while the stainless steel models have a stainless steel slide. Fixed white dot front sight, dovetailed, fixed with two white dots rear sight. Plastic storage case. Ambidextrous magazine release. Comes with two magazines, lock and instructional manual. Manual Safety
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Caliber: 9mm
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Magazine Capacity: 15
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Barrel Length: 3.9
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Finish: SS
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Retail price: $423.77
tp.gif
tp.gif
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Randys price : $ 349.95[/font]

It might be worth the drive - It bought my Glocks from him - he was $50 cheaper than everyone even back in the 90's.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Next step up from Ruger ... SR9 their Glock equiv. USA made good reviews.

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]SR9 9mm Luger 4.14 Inch Barrel Matte Stainless Steel Slide Black Frame Adjustable Sights 17 Round
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Reliable, striker-fired ignition. Semi-Double Action trigger pull - 6.5 pounds. Short trigger reach. Reversible backstrap (flat or arched). Slim ergonomic grip features a 17-degree grip angle and three, 22 lpi checkered panels. Camblock helps absorb recoil. High-visibility 3-dot sight system is click adjustable for elevation and drift adjustable for windage. Picatinny rail. Ambidextrous manual safety and magazine release. Visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator. Includes hard case, extra magazine, magazine loader, padlock, and instruction manual.
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Caliber: 9mm
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Magazine Capacity: 17
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Finish: Black Frame/Matte Stainless Slide
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Barrel Length: 4.14
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Retail price: $524.19
tp.gif
tp.gif
[/font]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Randys price : $429.95[/font]

Bronson

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
Yes or no?

For me it would bea no. You really really need to get out and hold/fire some of these guns. The Berretta is a fine firearm but for me it's too big. The grip is too large and my thumb can't even touch the slide mounted safety and if I can't work the controls I don't want it.

GO TO THE STORE AND HOLD THE GUNS...keep repeating that until it sinks in.

Bronson

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay - Is your head spinning yet?

Here the best price I could find on a New 9mm Glock 17 = $459

http://www.topglock.com/category/869-Glock_9mm.aspx

Product ID: 42531
UPC: 764503502170
MFG ID: PI1750203 Glock 17 Pistol, 9MM, 17rd, Semi-Auto, DAO, Full Size, 4.49" barrel, Polymer Frame, Matte Finish, Right Hand, Fixed Sights 18 User Ratings Read All Reviews Write A Review
InStock.jpg
$459.00 QTY: *Please verify this picture correctly reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order, as we cannot always guarantee its accuracy. Glock® 17 Pistol, model 1750203, Semi-automatic. Double action only (DAO). Full size pistol. 9MM caliber. 4.49-inch barrel length. Polymer frame. Matte finish. 17-round capacity. Right hand. Fixed sights.
Glock® Model Information
The Glock® 17 is the most widely used law enforcement pistol and personal defense handgun worldwide. The Glock® 17 features unsurpassed reliability, above-average magazine capacity and a low weight. Trusted by law enforcement officers in their daily duties, it is safe, easy and quick to use.
  • Glock® Pistol
  • Glock® 17
  • Action: Double Action Only
  • Size: Full Size
  • Caliber: 9 mm
  • Barrel Length: 4.49 Inch
  • Capacity: 17 Round
  • Safety: Trigger/Firing Pin
  • Grips: Polymer
  • Sights: Fixed
  • Weight: 22.04 Ounces (Empty)
  • Finish: Matte
  • Hand: Right Hand
Glock® Handguns offer optimum solutions for your professional requirements. Each Glock® Pistol provides the same Glock® advantages to ensure safe handling of your Glock® gun. These advantages include:
  • "Safe Action" Trigger System: A partly-tensioned firing pin lock that moves further back by the trigger bar when the trigger is pulled.
  • Firing Pin Safety: A solid hardened steel pin which, in the secured state, blocks the firing pin channel, rendering the igniting of a chambered cartridge by the firing pin impossible.
  • Drop Safety: Prevents unintentional firing of a shot through hard impact, or when the Glock® pistol is dropped.
  • Psychology: Glock® offers one simple psychological safety feature, finger away from trigger safety on, finger on trigger, safety off.
  • Tenifer: Glock® parts are coated in a Tenifer process that achieves a degree of hardness that comes close to that of a diamond.
  • Polymer: Glock® pistol grips come coated with a Glock® hi-tech polymer coating that.
  • Barrel Profile: Solid, cold-hammered barrels with Tenifer coating and rounded interior profiles.
  • Loaded Chamber Indicator: Trigger forward (safety activated); Trigger pulled (safety deactivated); the extractor also serves as a loaded chamber indicator.
  • Mounting Rails: Glock® offers the user the possibility of modular-mounting a wide range of weapon accessories on the pistol.
  • Quality: Glock® pistols have been designed to operate without compromise in extreme conditions.
All of our Glock® pistols are new from the factory and include a hard, plastic Glock® case, 2 magazines, a Glock® cleaning rod, a Glock® cleaning brush, Glock® magazine speed loader, a cable lock, instruction manual, and fired casings.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

yes, As Bronson has said, this is by far the best way to choose a gun. You have heard suggestions about the best brands. To find the worst, Id say to ask a gunsmith what to avoid. Take this info, add it to what fits your hand, and your needs, and then choose your weapon.

This weekend at Bass Pro one of the topics for discussion is, right gun, right caliber. If you can make it, perhaps you should. I would never buy a gun from Bass Pro because they wont take the trigger locks off the guns, and trigger placement and action is a key point in selecting a handgun.

FatboyCykes

imported post

I don't mind you guys pushing the Glocks, as they're solid performers. One request however, please, please, please, stop posting pictures of them, we all know what they look like and they're soooooooooo FUGLY, my eyes actually started bleeding from that last one. Thanks!

<3

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A new RIA Tactical can be had for less than $500. I'm not sure about the nickel model, but both of the guns suggested in this thread really need to come down in price a bit.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder....your request shall be honored!

:p:p:p

Just wanted him to have an idea what things looked liked as some folks not only want a uber functional pistol, they also want a "pretty" one. ;)

FatboyCykes wrote:
I don't mind you guys pushing the Glocks, as they're solid performers. One request however, please, please, please, stop posting pictures of them, we all know what they look like and they're soooooooooo FUGLY, my eyes actually started bleeding from that last one. Thanks!

<3

Dansjeep2000

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
i shot the one kimberguy has,i LOVE it.

fit me perfectly and i was holdin a great group.

i wouldnt buy a firearm w/o seeing how it fits your hands,how well you shoot it...and all that other stuff people say to pay attention to.
It is a fine Beretta (used to be mine)

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

jeesh, cant find anything on the MGO forums that i really want.... (4.5-5'' Barrel, .40 or 9mm, not some strange off-brand clone) ....im getting my permit in a week or so, i guess ill look then