• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

does open carrying while wearing a ski mask warrant alarm?

amzbrady

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Gun or not anyone with a ski mask should or any mask should have to reveal their face for security camera upon entering business's.
That would work fine...for people who are not bank robbers and actually obey laws.
Exactly, so you would pretty well know to be ready to draw if someone didnt remove their mask.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ok, two things.........FIRST ................troll!!!!

SECOND....

"warrants alarm for the safety of others" READ THE WHOLE PHRASE!!!!

wearing a ski mask has what to do with safety??? NOTHING!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
He may be a troll, but he asks some pretty good eye opening questions, even if he's not serious.

We always get suckered into the 'warrants alarm'

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

In the summer with a ski mask on is not the correct time and place. (This goes back to Sesame Street, it doesn't belong)

In the winter, it would be under a circumstance that would be in context.

HOWEVER, neither warrant alarm for the SAFETY of other persons!

However, depending on the circumstance and time and place AND INTENT it may intimidate another.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When we continue to take 'warrants alarm' out of context it is similar to my favorite quote of all time taken out of context:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman." (regular quote)

Actual quote:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman.............on Wednesday's before 2pm, when there is a full moon." <sarcasm>

Aaron1124

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
He may be a troll, but he asks some pretty good eye opening questions, even if he's not serious.

We always get suckered into the 'warrants alarm'

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

In the summer with a ski mask on is not the correct time and place. (This goes back to Sesame Street, it doesn't belong)

In the winter, it would be under a circumstance that would be in context.

HOWEVER, neither warrant alarm for the SAFETY of other persons!

However, depending on the circumstance and time and place AND INTENT it may intimidate another.
Very true. I once saw a man at the Federal Way Transit Center walk on the property with a ski mask, and his hands buried deep in his pockets. It was 4:00 AM. I've gotta admit, I kept a solid eye on him.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

attachment.php

Why does this black female have the hands of a white male? Or are those gloves? (hard to tell)

DaemonForce

imported post

Who the hell is going to attack you when it's so cold that you feel the need to wear a mask(among other materials)?

Why helo thar frozen-assed mask-wearing buddy, I-:p*THUNK*

Yeah I can really picture that happening.

Don't ever open carry anything that fails in extreme environments. Modern firearms are made of steel and you're begging for self-sabotage. It's like carrying a bad knife. It will not operate the way you expect.

REAL EDIT: Yes I know this is a resurrect. Point being: What would you carry for protection of yourself? Would you really carry something likely to fail to defend you or would you rather have something on you that is specifically meant to combat the elements since that is a more pressing problem? I would go for the later and you should be concerned about the same.

That is all I have to contribute. Now this thread can die. :)

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

[align=center]OK, I'll play.[/align]
"Does open carrying while wearing a ski mask warrant alarm?"

The short answer is NO. It is all about context.

Steve here warrants no alarm.
s7_932369_renderset_01

[align=left]

Joe here does not cause or warrant alarm. When I see this it just brings a tear of pride to my eye. That is probably from the Tear gas canister threw the window though.

special-ops-soldier.jpg

Even on an international level. Sayid here does not alarm the locals as he scans threw some sweet bootleg hits.

Humor intended.
[/align]

cynicist

imported post

Unless you're in subfreezing weather, YES!

However, I live in eastern Washington in an area where agriculture is pretty much all we got, and it gets to 40 below freezing sometimes. A lot, if not most, of the field workers wear ski masks while tending the grape fields. When I moved here I was kind of taken aback by seeing people with ski masks walking down the street at night, or catching a ride with people and seeing gloves, ski masks, and strange looking knives on the floor of the car, but this is all easily explained by the job and weather. I used to work at a grocery store right after I moved here, and got freaked out by this guy with a ski mask who would talk on the pay phone outside every day, until I was wrapping my scarf around my face like an khafiya to stay warm.
I've walked to work in the morning with a ski mask on. People in cars driving by didn't look twice. If it's ok to wear a ski mask when skiing, it's ok to wear it in other situations where the cold poses a problem.
If you do it in any season other than winter, you're asking for trouble, and if you OC while wearing a mask, you can expect to be stopped. And if it's not winter, you can probably expect to get a gun pulled on you, by LEO or anyone else. And in many neighborhoods, you might scare someone into shooting you.