• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA gathering in Charlotte, NC for annual convention

Dave Workman

imported post

NRA gathering in Charlotte, NC for annual convention

An anticipated crowd that could reach 70,000 is already starting to descend on Charlotte, N.C. where the National Rifle Association is gathering for its 139[suP]th[/suP] annual member’s meetings and exhibits.

That figure will include possibly hundreds of the estimated 90,000 NRA members living in Washington, and I will be reporting from there over the weekend.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d12-NRA-convenes-annual-members-meeting-this-weekend-in-Charlotte-NC

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2bfz8rv

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

70,000 people who are willing to be disarmed to attend an NRA Annual Meeting.

Disgusting.

buster81

imported post

Well here you go NRA. Thanks for sending a great message.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/dancasey/2010/05/12/no-guns-allowed-at-the-big-nra-convention-in-charlotte/#comment-50275

No guns allowed at the big NRA convention in Charlotte

Is the National Rifle Association going soft?

The nation's leading firearms rights organization, according to the Charlotte Observer, has chosen a dangerous "gun-free zone" as the site for its big upcoming national convention, which kicks off Thursday and is expected to draw 70,000 or so pistol-loving visitors to that North Carolina city.

Apparently guns will be on display in the cavernous Charlotte Convention Center. But no attendees will be allowed to bring them in.

From the Charlotte Observer:

No guns can be carried into the convention center or sold at the gun show. But if visitors see something they like, they can order it there and pick it up at a local licensed dealer.

That explains in part why Larry Hyatt will run free shuttles to the convention from his gun store on Wilkinson Boulevard.

The horror!

This means, of course, that those convention-goers will have to walk from their hotels or parked cars to the convention center doors unarmed.

Which means, of course, that the convention goers are subject to being preyed upon by the criminal elements they usually insist they need protection from.

What were they thinking?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Tess wrote:

Disgusting.
Not to give a pass to the NRA, but to anyone who knows for sure is it the laws of NC or the venues rules that prevent carry?

To Tess, is it any different than folks disarming to go to a gun show?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Tess wrote:

Disgusting.
Not to give a pass to the NRA, but to anyone who knows for sure is it the laws of NC or the venues rules that prevent carry?

See Rules & Regulations, Section 7.30, Weapons Prohibited

http://static.charlotteconventionctr.com/documents/Rules_%20and_Regulations_Oct08.pdf

buster81

imported post

http://static.charlotteconventionctr.com/documents/Rules_%20and_Regulations_Oct08.pdf

7.30 DANGEROUS WEAPONS

A “dangerous weapon” is any object or device
designed or intended to be used to inflict serious
injury upon persons or property.

1. The possession of a dangerous weapon is
prohibited in the Convention Center, except as
provided below. Concealed weapons are strictly
prohibited in the Convention Center.

2. If firearms are an integral part of an event, an
exhibitor may display a firearm as part of its
exhibit during an event subject to the following:

a. The exhibitor must comply with all federal,
state, and local laws governing the possession
and/or sale of firearms.

b. Firearms may not be loaded or fired in the
Convention Center.

c. Firearms must be deactivated by removal of
the firing pin, the bolt, or otherwise altered so
that they are incapable of being fired (e.g., by a
metal lock through the trigger mechanism, a
plastic strap securing the trigger or hammer
mechanism, a plastic strap securing the
firearm’s “action” mechanism in an “open”
state, or otherwise).
Exceptions may be granted, at the CRVA’s sole
discretion, for particularly rare antique firearms
displayed in a locked case or otherwise made
inaccessible.

d. Powder or primers are prohibited in the
Convention Center. Sample live ammunition
may be displayed in exhibits, which are kept
separate from firearm exhibits or by exhibitors
who do not also display firearms.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

buster81 wrote:

7.30 DANGEROUS WEAPONS

A “dangerous weapon” is any object or device
designed or intended to be used to inflict serious
injury upon persons or property.

1. The possession of a dangerous weapon is
prohibited in the Convention Center, except as
provided below. Concealed weapons are strictly
prohibited in the Convention Center.

2. If firearms are an integral part of an event, an
exhibitor may display a firearm as part of its
exhibit during an event subject to the following:

a. The exhibitor must comply with all federal,
state, and local laws governing the possession
and/or sale of firearms.

b. Firearms may not be loaded or fired in the
Convention Center.

c. Firearms must be deactivated by removal of
the firing pin, the bolt, or otherwise altered so
that they are incapable of being fired (e.g., by a
metal lock through the trigger mechanism, a
plastic strap securing the trigger or hammer
mechanism, a plastic strap securing the
firearm’s “action” mechanism in an “open”
state, or otherwise).
Exceptions may be granted, at the CRVA’s sole
discretion, for particularly rare antique firearms
displayed in a locked case or otherwise made
inaccessible.

d. Powder or primers are prohibited in the
Convention Center. Sample live ammunition
may be displayed in exhibits, which are kept
separate from firearm exhibits or by exhibitors
who do not also display firearms.
I see, I was thinking that this all might be mooted by the fact that NC statutes are pretty restrictive on carry if alcohol is served or admission is charged.

[size=§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.][/size] [size=(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.][/size]
[size=(b) This section shall not apply to the following:][/size]
[size=(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;][/size]
[size=(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;][/size]
[size=(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and][/size]
[size=(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. ][size=(1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)][/size][/size]

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Tess wrote:

Disgusting.

The difference is not in NC laws, IMHO. It is that NRA has a choice of venues with which it can contract, and it chose this one. They can cry all they want that there are only "2 or 3" venues in the US that suits their purposes, but my contention is there are places, and they choose not to use them.

Yes, at a gun show I can have a magazine, and ammunition, and a gun with me.

Swampbeast

imported post

I was passing through Charlotte and stopped by butwas not happy to see that I was not allowed to take my gun into the convention. What a load of crap! With the power the NRA has, they should haved used it to get the convention center to change their rule for the weekend, or go elsewhere in the city or to another city. I remember a few years back it was going to be in some Ohio city (Columbus?) and they moved it cuz the city was going to ban semi-autos. It sure does make the NRA harder to defend.

GOV5

imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
I was passing through Charlotte and stopped by butwas not happy to see that I was not allowed to take my gun into the convention. What a load of crap! With the power the NRA has, they should haved used it to get the convention center to change their rule for the weekend, or go elsewhere in the city or to another city. I remember a few years back it was going to be in some Ohio city (Columbus?) and they moved it cuz the city was going to ban semi-autos. It sure does make the NRA harder to defend.
If the anti-gun folks pick up on this one, the NRA has just set us back 50 years. It will NEVER be brought out that the Convention Center had rules about not carrying inside their premises.

WAY to go NRA!! You bunch of IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buster81

imported post

GOV5 wrote:
Swampbeast wrote:
If the anti-gun folks pick up on this one, the NRA has just set us back 50 years. It will NEVER be brought out that the Convention Center had rules about not carrying inside their premises.

WAY to go NRA!! You bunch of IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If??? It's already in their teeth. Just google it and you will end up with plenty of reading material.