• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non registered handgun in California

knucklehead

imported post

Perhaps this is the wrong spot to ask but I thought I would try.

About 7 years ago I was a Virginia resident.I purchased a handgun from a private party in Virginia. At that time this was a legal transaction. Then about 2 years later I moved to California and failed to register this handgun withing the required 60 days. Just curious as to what my options are.

Do I just fill out the form and pay my $19 dollars and hope a black van does not pull up? No where on the form does it ask when I became a resident or when the firearm was brought into the state leading me to beleive I'm ok.

Thanks in advance

mjones

imported post

knucklehead wrote:
Perhaps this is the wrong spot to ask but I thought I would try.

Thanks in advance
The handgun has been stored with your friend/uncle/mistress in Virginia/Texas/TheMoon until yesterday.

knucklehead

imported post

Well I know there is a penalty for not registering in my case. The weapon in question I plan to CCW. My understanding is a non-registered concealed gun takes if from a misdemeanor to a felony in California.

cato

imported post

Don't CC loaded. LUCC for now in a briefcase, back back, fanny back etc. There will be a legal way to carry in the coming years. It istoo easy to 'find' a CA Felony should your carrying to sideways soI would not risk it.

pullnshoot25

imported post

knucklehead wrote:
Well I know there is a penalty for not registering in my case. The weapon in question I plan to CCW. My understanding is a non-registered concealed gun takes if from a misdemeanor to a felony in California.
This scenario was not put forth originally but the circumstances don't change anyways.

To get a gun on a CCW permit, the gun must be registered.

If you illegally CC with an unregistered gun and are caught, it is a felony.

The only benefit you get for registering a handgun in CA is the ability to add it to a CCW permit and to only be charged for a misdemeanor violation if you illegally CC and are caught.

mjones

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:

The only benefit you get to registering a handgun in CA is the ability to add it to a CCW and to only be charged for a misdemeanor violation if you illegally CC.
This varies by issuing authority. There is no statutory requirement for the handgun to be registered in order to add it to a CCW. I personally have several unregistered handguns on mine.

pullnshoot25

imported post

mjones wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

The only benefit you get to registering a handgun in CA is the ability to add it to a CCW and to only be charged for a misdemeanor violation if you illegally CC.
This varies by issuing authority. There is no statutory requirement for the handgun to be registered in order to add it to a CCW. I personally have several unregistered handguns on mine.
I stand corrected. Learn something new every day.

mjones

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
mjones wrote:

I suppose that makes them inadvertantly registered... where's that tinfoil hat smiley!

I wonder if they'd show up if I do that check to show what's registered to me. Anyone have a link to that handy?

knucklehead

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
knucklehead wrote:

If you illegally CC with an unregistered gun and are caught, it is a felony.
Thus my reason for wanting to register it. I went ahead and mail off the form to the DOJ yesterday. Thought for now I will attempt LUCC and see how that goes. Incase I make a mistake one day and found to be illegal I want to be procted as much as possible.

Iopencarry

imported post

mjones wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
mjones wrote:

I suppose that makes them inadvertantly registered... where's that tinfoil hat smiley!

I wonder if they'd show up if I do that check to show what's registered to me. Anyone have a link to that handy?
CA DOJ