Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Deutsche Welle - Not without my gun

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    German: http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5522131,00.html

    SNIP

    ...

    Auch wenn das Gesetz im Kongress zunächst keine Chance hat, zumindest die Stimmen der Organisation "OpenCarry.org" dürfte sich McCain gesichert haben.

    ...

    -----------

    English: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

    SNIP

    The USA|30.04.2010
    Not without my gun


    The weapon lobby struck alarm, when Barack Obama was selected to the president. The fear: There could be substantial restrictions of the right to possession of arms. The opposite is the case.
    The weapon love of the Americans is a difficult topic. Europeans understand it only heavily, for American politicians are them a hot iron. With the weapon lobby one does not put on oneself better, even if one does not divide its opinions. That cannot be done also to US president Obama differently. It signed a law, which permits a carrying of weapons also in national park. To its defense one must say: Hardly another choice had remained for it: The weapon-free gift for the protected areas and monuments of the country was coupled to the law, which protects consumers from obscure and covered credit card contracts.

    This kind of Junktim, thus the coupling of laws, is a speciality of the weapon fans. So may the citizens of the capital Washington, who District OF Columbia, differently than those of the other Federal States, no representatives in the house of representatives to still select. The appropriate law, which should grant them this right finally, was let now fall to the repetitive mark. Because to it a loosening of the weapon laws would not be coupled in D.C. with logic has that anything to do.

    McCain for more weapons in DC

    The weapon laws in the US capital had to be loosened after a decision of the highest Court of Justice of already 2008. The meant: The prohibition to possess semiautomatic weapons was waived. Also the inhabitants of Washington can request gun licenses now and keep pistols in their house. For John McCain is the however obviously not enough. The loser of the last presidency running brought a bill now into the congress, that became the weapon laws in the capital of still far up-soft: The purchase of ammunition was facilitated and the conditions for the registration and the purchase by weapons was loosened.

    To the question, why a senator from Arizona worries about the weapon laws in Washington, the republican senator, it answered believed to exercise that “citizens should be generally speaking country able, their constitutionally confirmed by a document right to possession of arms.” Coincidental way McCain faces in addition in its mother country Arizona for the re-election into the senate a strong challenger from the own rows. There it cannot harm to serve the right clientele.

    Armed to Starbucks

    Even if the law in the congress has first no chance, at least McCain might have itself the voices of the organization “OpenCarry.org” secured. Their members exert themselves for the fact that they may carry their weapons also in the public - for everyone visibly, but naturally duly into a Holster fastened. The group was created 2004 and has above all one to the goal: She wants to accustom the public to the sight of weapons carrying citizens. Beginning of last week one met at the Washington Monument, in the heart of the capital. Because the prohibition of public carrying of pistols and rifles is there however still valid, one had to be content with posters.

    Differently it is there in some national park in the neighbouring Virginia. There the Protestler was less numerously, but however after heart desire armed. And if it dürstete it after a Cappuccino, was also no problem, if a branch of the coffee chain were Starbucks in the proximity. Because those explained several times publicly: , Where carrying the weapons permits actual thus in 43 Federal States - liking gladly cowboys may order its Caramel Macchiato also with the Knarre in the Holster. Companies can actually forbid a carrying of weapons in their business. Starbucks does without it.

    . . .

    Author: Christina miner
    Editorship: Nicole Scherschun



  2. #2
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    That's a real rough translation, but German has Yoda-like grammar and crams three or more words together to make a separate, distinct word (like "fliegerabwherkannone" or "flier-defend-against-cannon" or FLAK)

    So it's sorta hard to tell if she's predjudiced one way or another. Sometimes it sounds like she is. Other times it sounds like argle-bargle. But the Germans are on the whole a very order-oriented folk, so I take the general tone to be one of being bewildered at why Americans are so passionate about guns.

    Or something.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    I've encountered many German tourists here... not always in 'touristy' spots. More than once they have wanted to take my picture (with them)'mit der pistole im der Gurtle.' They just think that's so'cool'. I have to remember that.45 is 11mmtho ('cause they always ask). I get the worse reactions from New Yorkers and Californians. The Euro's almost expect it.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    1,877

    Post imported post

    Yeah, because Europeans also expect you (andus in TX) to be wearing cowboy outfits and riding horses. They get their "facts" about America from the movies and TV shows.

    Deutsche Welle is definitely liberal (watch their news shows, just like liberal BBC news)...and when you call them on it, they won't respond...just ignore you.

    -- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

  5. #5
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    cloudcroft wrote:
    Yeah, because Europeans also expect you (andus in TX) to be wearing cowboy outfits and riding horses. They get their "facts" about America from the movies and TV shows.

    Deutsche Welle is definitely liberal (watch their news shows, just like liberal BBC news)...and when you call them on it, they won't respond...just ignore you.

    -- John D.
    Uh... I do wear cowboy outfits 'n ride horses...

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    Before they get too high and mighty (I can't tell if they are or not because of the rough translation) they might want to remember who was disarmed in the 30's in Germany and the aftermath.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    Germany passed restrictive gun laws beginning in 1919 in response to the treaty ending WWI. The allies wanted the German people disarmed.

    In 1928, a new law was passed, easing the restrictions.

    In 1938, another new law was passed further easing the restrictions (except for Jews).

    It is important that we get the facts right, whether or not they help our advocacy.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Might I just chime in here with an observation often made but hotly contested by the socialist Left? Namely that National Socialism is exactly that: SOCIALISM!

    Not only that, but it is the only kind of socialism that works, at least in the country in which it is in power. This is because under regular Socialism, a small group of so-called "elites" determines what everyone needs, then takes everyone's money (except for an "allowance" for discretionary spending on approved activities) and uses it to provide for "the common good".

    Under National Socialism, the whole people of the nation are the "priveledged elite" and wherewithal is provided by other nations and peoples, who are allowed to keep what is needed to keep them productive. This involves thuggery, under socialism by groups like ACORN and other squadrists; and under National Socialism by groups like the RSHA.

    The problem with National Socialism is that sooner or later you run out of people you can defeat and enslave, and you wind up on a gallows.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    Germany passed restrictive gun laws beginning in 1919 in response to the treaty ending WWI. The allies wanted the German people disarmed.

    In 1928, a new law was passed, easing the restrictions.

    In 1938, another new law was passed further easing the restrictions (except for Jews).

    It is important that we get the facts right, whether or not they help our advocacy.
    Cites? Then I'll gladly stand corrected.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Brass Magnet wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Germany passed restrictive gun laws beginning in 1919 in response to the treaty ending WWI. The allies wanted the German people disarmed.

    In 1928, a new law was passed, easing the restrictions.

    In 1938, another new law was passed further easing the restrictions (except for Jews).

    It is important that we get the facts right, whether or not they help our advocacy.
    Cites? Then I'll gladly stand corrected.
    Those gun laws were enacted by the Weimar Repulic and then continued by the NAZI's 'cause they were suitable to the agenda. 'May Issue' in Maryland is an identical twin of those sorts of laws approved by Hitler & Co.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    Thanks!

    I still don't see as how I'm wrong though, I did say "disarmed". I didn't mention anything about legislation. From your cite above, Jews and political opponents (ie; anyone the party didn't approve of) were all disarmed.

    I stand "not corrected" but will enjoy studying your .pdf.




    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    The disarming occurred in 1919 and the years following. A small restricted rearming began in 1928. A wider rearming occurred in 1939--with the exception of Jews and people identified as being against the Nazi regime.

    The point is that overall, gun ownership was easier in Germany under the Nazis for the typical German. Folks try to imply that the Nazis instituted strict gun control to oppress the general populace. They didn't. They targeted the same people who were targeted for concentration camps.

    Don't get me wrong. What they did to Jews and others was horrific and condemns National Socialism as one of the greatest evils of history. But, the Nazis weren't anti-gun. They were anti-Jew, anti-Gypsy, anti-homosexual, etc.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    I wonder why the German press approaches this issue in such a one sided manner?

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    I wonder why the German press approaches this issue in such a one sided manner?
    I can't understand the translation well enough to even decide if it's one sided....:?

    I can understand "Chinglish" (or bad chinese english) and "Jinglish" (bad japanese) english because I've dealt with them for years. Unfortunately I'm not fluent in "Germglish".


    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  16. #16
    Regular Member KansasKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Verona, WI
    Posts
    116

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    I wonder why the German press approaches this issue in such a one sided manner?
    They've been proles for so long that the very idea of a right to self-defense escapes them. The state shall provide.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    That's a real rough translation, but German has Yoda-like grammar and crams three or more words together to make a separate, distinct word (like "fliegerabwherkannone" or "flier-defend-against-cannon" or FLAK)

    So it's sorta hard to tell if she's predjudiced one way or another. Sometimes it sounds like she is. Other times it sounds like argle-bargle. But the Germans are on the whole a very order-oriented folk, so I take the general tone to be one of being bewildered at why Americans are so passionate about guns.

    Or something.
    Yeah, it reminds me of translations of Willi Heinrich books. He's the guy who wrote the book on which the movie "Cross of Iron" was based.

    I once TRIED to read his book "Crack of Doom". I never imagined that you could make a desperate hand to hand fight in pitch blackness, on a stairwell in a ruined Soviet factory... boring.

    Of course my freshman highschool English course used the 10,000,000,000,000 volume series of German "Perry Rhodan" sci fi novels as examples of how NOT to write English prose...
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  18. #18
    Regular Member KansasMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Herington, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Post imported post

    I took German in High school for 2 years, then spent almost 8 years in Germany in the Army. I still have troubles deciphering the ausgezeichtnechts un der augengeshplittinloutenboomers. They have this way of speaking that can have you hanging on til the last word which is usually the verb. That's how Hitler razzle-dazzled em so well. At any rate as was stated the Germans have not been able to own weapons per se for the last 100 years. The Jaeger Meisters and jaegers have to maintian their weapons in a shooting club armory. They have no concept of individual liberty. I even spoke with some students who were just graduating from what would be known as middle school who were placed into a "tech school" if you will since their scores were not high enough to prepare for college. The Govt. would not spend the money to allow them to try to get a higher learning degree.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

  19. #19
    Regular Member Phoenix David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    John McCain is RINO. He will say what ever it takes to be reelected. John McCain is only a friend of the 2nd Amendment when it's time for him to be reelected. He has pro-amnesty last year, now that it's election time he is now "secure the border".

    McCain gets money from George Soros and Teresa Heinz Kerry. John McCain sponsored an amendment to S. 1805 on March 2, 2004 that would outlaw the private sale of firearms at gun shows. The GOA report of the 106th Congress reveals that out of 15 votes relating to the right to keep and bear arms, Senator John McCain voted favorably only 4 times

    John McCain is not a friend of the 2nd Amendment
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Phoenix David wrote:
    John McCain is RINO. He will say what ever it takes to be reelected. John McCain is only a friend of the 2nd Amendment when it's time for him to be reelected. He has pro-amnesty last year, now that it's election time he is now "secure the border".

    McCain gets money from George Soros and Teresa Heinz Kerry. John McCain sponsored an amendment to S. 1805 on March 2, 2004 that would outlaw the private sale of firearms at gun shows. The GOA report of the 106th Congress reveals that out of 15 votes relating to the right to keep and bear arms, Senator John McCain voted favorably only 4 times

    John McCain is not a friend of the 2nd Amendment
    Der dizkutzionnen nicht regaarden der McCainen Politischen ist. Wir sind talken bouten das sprechen Deutches Magazinen Artiklen und vass der ficken der dumbkopfen frauen ist sayen. Der schprecken und Bitchen abouten der ersaten Republiken fur sem otter threaden ist. Bitte keepen der Kommenten mit der topiken.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    Der dizkutzionnen nicht regaarden der McCainen Politischen ist. Wir sind talken bouten das sprechen Deutches Magazinen Artiklen und vass der ficken der dumbkopfen frauen ist sayen. Der schprecken und Bitchen abouten der ersaten Republiken fur sem otter threaden ist. Bitte keepen der Kommenten mit der topiken.
    I so thought that was real german,lol, till I read it better

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Post imported post

    Pagan wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    Der dizkutzionnen nicht regaarden der McCainen Politischen ist. Wir sind talken bouten das sprechen Deutches Magazinen Artiklen und vass der ficken der dumbkopfen frauen ist sayen. Der schprecken und Bitchen abouten der ersaten Republiken fur sem otter threaden ist. Bitte keepen der Kommenten mit der topiken.
    I so thought that was real german,lol, till I read it better
    That was friggin great! bravo Alexcabbie

  23. #23
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    What's really a hoot is if you block-highlight that and put it to Google Translate, it will auto-detect German and translate it into semi-gibberish, but the point will still be plain...

  24. #24
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    It still gets your point across
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •