Thread: Costco Policy

Post imported post

Today a friend of mine was open carrying in costco when a store supervisor came up to her and asked her to cover her weapon. My friend did as she was asked since she was in the middle of a few weeks worth of shopping and she is NOT one to make a scene.

Now i have carried in this Costco many many times and it was never an issue, so i called and spoke to the same person (chrissy) who talked to my friend.... she was very nice and said that my friend did infact immediately cover her weapon. During my conversation with Chrissy she quoted from a memo that she said Costco sent out in March, stating that they were a private club, they could make the rules that pertained to the club and that only Law enforcement officers could carry firearms in Costco.

i asked for a copy of the memo and after asking the warehouse manager i was told that it would not be available. i asked if they had posted this policy at the entrances and was told that they were not required to.

I asked if there was a customer complaint and i was told that a concerned customer had spoke to the manager.

So, as i understand it , Today..... Costco has a "NO FIREARMS" policy in effect, No one is allowed to see the memo, It is NOT posted and they do NOT provide armed security to protect us.

i shall be rethinking where i spend my food dollar.
    *Disclaimer~ I am not an attorney, i do not give legal advice. Any opinion stated here is in no way meant to insinuate, imply, compel or encourage that you should do anything that is illegal either knowingly or otherwise. My answers however valid may not be complete or applicable to your individual situation. I strongly recommend that you do your own research, make your own decisions and hire an attorney for legal advice ~

Post imported post

True, True, True, True, and True.

They have always been anti gun, but you can't beat some of their deals. So CC it is for me in their stores. There would be no repercussions if they found out since no one told me about their policy and I did not see it anywhere. The most they could do is ask me to leave, to which I would comply to avoid a trespass.

Post imported post

I am not a lawyer....BUT......

Even with a sign posted, it is my understanding that barring having been told to leave by a "person in charge", you're within the law on private property. Obviously if you are told to leave and don't, then you're trespassing.

I wonder what they'd say about a T shirt that says "Costco's policy says no openly carried firearms so I'm carrying concealed, do you feel safer?"

SMILE
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

Friday July 7th 2007 a thread was posted with an email from Costco

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=55

This is the message Costco sent me after being asked to not carry in Costco. Oh well.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.
    In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
    Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
    Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that we don't want you. It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Susan
    Costco Wholesale Corporation
    memberservice@costco.com

Post imported post

Well since my firearm goes where I go, they are saying they don't want my business.

Gun owners should boycot CostCo....and any other such business. I know I do.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

well guess where i am not going...

Costco is one of the biggest chain in the US. In break with most retailers, Costco's CEO claims he supports President Obama's call to increase the minimum wage. But while the President wants to raise it to $9 an hour, Costco would let it go even higher, to $10.10 an hour

3.5 year Necro?
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by airawil View Post
    Costco is one of the biggest chain in the US. In break with most retailers, Costco's CEO claims he supports President Obama's call to increase the minimum wage. But while the President wants to raise it to $9 an hour, Costco would let it go even higher, to $10.10 an hour
    What the heck does this have to do with OC???

COSTCO policy, OLD news, this horse has been beaten to a pulp.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com