• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

using a real unloaded gun for training

vegasche1023

imported post

I have a friend who teaches Krav Maga. He uses an unloaded Glock to teach disarming. I was always taught NEVER point a gun at someone, so we got in a heated "debate" about this. How do you feel?

t33j

imported post

Wouldn't want it pointed at me. They make brightly colored training barrels for Glocks, which I guess I'd be fine with.

Aaron1124

imported post

I know many self defense instructors that do it. I don't really care. As long as they're being responsible with it. I'd rather use a non working gun or "prop" gun, but that's just me. I don't hold judgment to those who use real, unloaded guns.

scorpio_vette

imported post

those krav maga people are seriously hardcore. no BS'ing around. i'm almost surprised that you said it was unloaded. LOL some of the practice i've seen from krav maga sessions end up quite painful and bloody. kinda like a "practice real or don't practice at all" mentality.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Condemn. First rule of firearms. Treat EVERY gun as if it's loaded. Not 'reasonably safe' - EVERY.

Anybody thinks they know better than the colonel about pistoleering is someone you need to be wary of.

Use a mock pistol or the aforementioned training barrel. Super cheap is a water pistol filled with sand.

Aaron1124

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Condemn. First rule of firearms. Treat EVERY gun as if it's loaded. Not 'reasonably safe' - EVERY.

Anybody thinks they know better than the colonel about pistoleering is someone you need to be wary of.

Use a mock pistol or the aforementioned training barrel. Super cheap is a water pistol filled with sand.
That's very true. Like I said, I won't hold judgment against a professional who decides to use a real unloaded weapon, but there is always that chance, no matter how minute it may be, that you forget to unload it, or check the chamber, or something. The chance is always there.

zoom6zoom

imported post

If there is the need to use something realistic, there are plenty of great airsoft choices available. Using a real gun is just asking for trouble. Even when you are "positive" all the live ammo is locked up in another room.

big_bake

imported post

I agree using a bright orange training pistol would be a better option, but if this gun is kept at the training facility and always left unloaded (with no ammo on premises), then it seems fine to me. of course every time the weapon is used it should be cleared to be extra sure.

Maybe the trainer purely bought the gun to train with and doesn't actually use it to shoot in his personal collection. Or what if he keeps a loaded mag nearby in case he needs to stop a BG, a plastic toy ain't gonna cut it in that case.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

t33j wrote:
Wouldn't want it pointed at me. They make brightly colored training barrels for Glocks, which I guess I'd be fine with.
^^ This

If he really wants to use real glocks, use these training barrels:

There is NO mistaking that these guns aren't loaded with these barrels in.

bladetech_barrel_1.jpg

TB.jpg

Aaron1124

imported post

Ian wrote:
t33j wrote:
^^ This

bladetech_barrel_1.jpg

TB.jpg
That's pretty cool. Better to be safe than sorry!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

big_bake wrote:
I agree using a bright orange training pistol would be a better option, but if this gun is kept at the training facility and always left unloaded (with no ammo on premises), then it seems fine to me. of course every time the weapon is used it should be cleared to be extra sure.

Maybe the trainer purely bought the gun to train with and doesn't actually use it to shoot in his personal collection. Or what if he keeps a loaded mag nearby in case he needs to stop a BG, a plastic toy ain't gonna cut it in that case.
Guns are always loaded.

Aaron1124

imported post

Tess wrote:
big_bake wrote:

Guns are always loaded.
That may be one of the rules of firearm handling, but it is not a rule of reality. Just my opinion.

CommonMan101

imported post

Tess wrote:
Guns are always loaded.

Please share how you clean your "always loaded" guns.

Or... maybe add a qualifier to that statement?

That statement left alone -a newbie to guns would see the obvious "not really always" truth and dismiss it - at their peril.

Aaron1124

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
I don't care what is being taught or by whom; point a firearm at me and I will either leave rather abruptly or I will consider the person doing the pointing to be a threat and react accordingly.

There was a young captain many years ago who tried to bring me up on charges when I broke his finger for pointing a loaded .45 at me. The Battalion CO told him that, if he did, I had a very good case against him for attempted murder. The captain was later that year asked to resign for the "good of the service". The boy wasn't wrapped to overly tight.

And now, I am entirely too old to let some yahoo endanger my life with a weapon he "guarantees is unloaded." Not just "NO", but "H3LL, NO!!"
Well considering that these self defense schools require you to sign a waiver, are insured, and require you to consent to their methods of training, you'd probably be in for a major lawsuit if you reacted with violence. Also, most of these instructors are far from a typical yahoo. They're very skilled in the art of self defense, weapons defense and tactics, and weapons training. Most of the ones I've met are former special forces operatives. There's one who is former Israeli Defense Force Operative, so it's not like these guys are Joe Blows twirling guns around thinking they're Clint Eastwood.

impulse

imported post

But using a unloaded glock wouldn't be true training. The gun would be so front heavy, it would be asanine. Also the overall weight would be off in a real life situation. The guy is a tool, buy a blue gun.

Article1section23

imported post

Ian wrote:
This are really nice.

simmonsjoe

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
Tess wrote:
Guns are always loaded.

Please share how you clean your "always loaded" guns.

Or... maybe add a qualifier to that statement?

That statement left alone -a newbie to guns would see the obvious "not really always" truth and dismiss it - at their peril.
You field strip a weapon before cleaning it silly.
See my first post on this thread for your qualifier.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
I don't care what is being taught or by whom; point a firearm at me and I will either leave rather abruptly or I will consider the person doing the pointing to be a threat and react accordingly.

There was a young captain many years ago who tried to bring me up on charges when I broke his finger for pointing a loaded .45 at me.

Which finger and how did you break it?

Why did he point the loaded gun at you?