• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I find a working flintlock pistol or blunderbuss?

Aaron1124

imported post

Does anyone know where I can find a working flintlock pistol or blunderbuss? I've browsed the net, but so far, have only found non working replicas. I'd like to find a working one - preferably one that won't break after firing a shot.

Dreamer

imported post

Dixie Gunworks is probably the "go-to" source for antique and reproduction firearms in the US.

Here is their current list of ready-to-fire flintlock pistols:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_92_187_188

And if you want to save a few bucks and build it custom, they have kits as well:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_195

Blunderbusses are relatively difficult to find. Genuine antiques are rare, and expensive when they do come up, and to my knowledge, nobody currently makes a modern reproduction Flintlock Blunderbuss. If you REALLY want one, you're probably going to have to find a smith who can custom cut the barrel for such a project...

There were a few European smiths making them in the 1970's in Belgium and Italy, but most of the independent historical smiths in Europe have been driven out of business by their crazy firearms laws...

There IS a VERY pretty one on Gunbroker.com right now, though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=169062117

French, all-steel, and beautifully made. It's a .75cal bore, and the seller claims it's fully functional, except that the flash hole isn't drilled (which they will do for US purchasers). It's not cheap, but the price is certainly reasonable considering the craftsmanship, and the rarity of this type of gun in a modern, functional piece...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Those guys on "Pawn Stars" bought a working 1750 blunderbuss in a recent episode and might still have it ... probably not very helpful information, huh?

Hillmann

imported post

Middlesex village trading company. I have one of their first double barrel 20gauge flintlocks and love it. The only problem with having a flintlock (at least around here) is finding powder. The only time I can find it is just before deer hunting season.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Back Creek Gun Shop has the best price for Black Powder online. As little as $10 per lb. plus hazmat fee and shipping.
I recently did a group buy for some fellow muzzle loaders and the final, delivered cost was about $14/lb.

+1 on Dixie Gun Works. My first gun was a Kentucky flintlock pistol kit for $32 (back in 1975)
Look on GunBroker and AuctionArms for muzzle loaders, black powder or flintlock.

Also Connecticut Valley Arms and Thompson-Center make replica flintlock rifles that stand the test of time. I've been shooting my TC flintlock for almost 40 years.