Thread: Excuse but your hammer is cocked.

Post imported post

I heard that from a middle aged fellow, I am middle aged as well, while leaving Robertos today. I said it sure is and it better be cocked. Laughed and went on. I carry a fullsize GI style Colt 1911. First time in a few years anyone has said anything to me. I did not fel the need to stop and educate.

Post imported post

If he had the frame of mind to mention your cocked hammer, then he probably knew OC was legal.

And of course the hammer was cocked. Should be cocked on any SA firearm with an equipped safety. Come to think of it (and I don't own a 1911 so forgive my arrogance), but isn't it dangerous to ride hammer down on most 1911's unless they specifically came with a firing pin block?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The High Road had a similar thread last year..

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=433008

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

Post imported post

I always politely thank them, say "it's safest that way," and keep on what what I'm going.

They think they're doing us an important favor, the same as telling us if your lights were left on after parking -- I'm always glad that they care enough to risk embarrassment by mentioning it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Along the same lines, anyone ever have someone mention quietly "Hey man, your piece is showing." Ironically, I instinctively check my fly, not my gun. But obviously they're referring to the fact that they think I should be concealing.

I usually give them a puzzled look and say something to the effect of "good thing! those concealed weapon permits are just too expensive."

Post imported post

When this happened to me I was a bit bothered by it becaue it was a student at the range after we had covered this stuff in class.

I think this person had well meaning intentions. I wish my Isreali friend would "assimilate" to the american way of thinking on this matter.

Post imported post

gunrunner1911 wrote:
    When this happened to me I was a bit bothered by it becaue it was a student at the range after we had covered this stuff in class.

I think this person had well meaning intentions. I wish my Isreali friend would "assimilate" to the american way of thinking on this matter.
    Israeli doctrine is to carry with an empty chamber -- this reduces the risk of NDs by half-trained and half-motivated gunhandlers.

Interestingly, hammer position is a signal in Latin America. El Patron, who carries a .45 because it is expected, carries with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Having the hammer on half-cock says "I'm not looking for trouble, but not running from it," and cocked-and-locked means "attack me, I need the practice!"

Post imported post

I had a similar experience a few months ago. Young guy in the waiting room of my wife’s chiropractor said “Do you know your pistol is cocked”? I said Yes, and explained that it was designed to be carried that way, and that it had 2 safety mechanisms as designed by a fella named John Browning (aka - Da Man). He went away happy.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

28kfps

Post imported post

Better fully cocked than half cocked.

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    I had a similar experience a few months ago. Young guy in the waiting room of my wife’s chiropractor said “Do you know your pistol is cocked”? I said Yes, and explained that it was designed to be carried that way, and that it had 2 safety mechanisms as designed by a fella named John Browning (aka - Da Man). He went away happy.

Steve

Three safeties.

The TRIGGER
    The palm grip
    The thumb safety

Same thing happened to me at my local gun shop. The old geezers hang out there to shoot the bull daily. I was carrying my Sig 1911. Some guy in a suit walked in. I got up to get another soda and crackers. He saw my piece and said "Is there some reason you carry THAT PISTOL with the hammer cocked?" (real snotty like).

Before I could open my mouth, one old dude sitting in a rocking chair that I had been talking to yells "Cause it's a damned 1911!"

I just got my soda and went and sat back down. Didn't see where any further explanation was needed.

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    it had 2 safety mechanisms as designed by a fella named John Browning (aka - Da Man).
    I had a friend who was a rabid anti-Mormon. It used to really grate on his nerves every time I pointed out that John Browning was a Mormon.

Then, a year or so after I started suggesting that, if he hated Mormons so much, he sell me all of his pistols, rifles and shotguns (all of which were designed by Browning or used Browning technology), I got a phone call from him -- he had visited the Browning Gun Shop in Nauvoo, Illinois, which had belonged to John's father, who also invented and built guns. This is now a church historical site and museum, with free tours by the missionaries.

My pal told me that this had finally broken through -- "I can't be mad at any church which makes a monument out of the Browning Gun Shop!"

Post imported post

NCjones wrote:
    .45acp wrote:

Steve

Three safeties.

The TRIGGER
    The palm grip
    The thumb safety

Yea, but Browning did not design the finger.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Post imported post

"Excuse but your hammer is cocked."

"That's a lot better than if it was the other way around!"

This last was offered by the 88-lb Filipina sitting next to me. The one with the M1911A1 in her purse.

Post imported post

Speaking of trigger... Taurus PT1911AR has the trigger tension safety like Glocks.

Sacrilege!
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.