• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excuse but your hammer is cocked.

Vegassteve

imported post

I heard that from a middle aged fellow, I am middle aged as well, while leaving Robertos today. I said it sure is and it better be cocked. Laughed and went on. I carry a fullsize GI style Colt 1911. First time in a few years anyone has said anything to me. I did not fel the need to stop and educate.

jfrey123

imported post

If he had the frame of mind to mention your cocked hammer, then he probably knew OC was legal.

And of course the hammer was cocked. Should be cocked on any SA firearm with an equipped safety. Come to think of it (and I don't own a 1911 so forgive my arrogance), but isn't it dangerous to ride hammer down on most 1911's unless they specifically came with a firing pin block?

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

I always politely thank them, say "it's safest that way," and keep on what what I'm going.

They think they're doing us an important favor, the same as telling us if your lights were left on after parking -- I'm always glad that they care enough to risk embarrassment by mentioning it.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Along the same lines, anyone ever have someone mention quietly "Hey man, your piece is showing." Ironically, I instinctively check my fly, not my gun. But obviously they're referring to the fact that they think I should be concealing.

I usually give them a puzzled look and say something to the effect of "good thing! those concealed weapon permits are just too expensive."

gunrunner1911

imported post

When this happened to me I was a bit bothered by it becaue it was a student at the range after we had covered this stuff in class.

I think this person had well meaning intentions. I wish my Isreali friend would "assimilate" to the american way of thinking on this matter.

DVC

imported post

gunrunner1911 wrote:
When this happened to me I was a bit bothered by it becaue it was a student at the range after we had covered this stuff in class.

I think this person had well meaning intentions. I wish my Isreali friend would "assimilate" to the american way of thinking on this matter.
Israeli doctrine is to carry with an empty chamber -- this reduces the risk of NDs by half-trained and half-motivated gunhandlers.

Interestingly, hammer position is a signal in Latin America. El Patron, who carries a .45 because it is expected, carries with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Having the hammer on half-cock says "I'm not looking for trouble, but not running from it," and cocked-and-locked means "attack me, I need the practice!"

.45acp

imported post

I had a similar experience a few months ago. Young guy in the waiting room of my wife’s chiropractor said “Do you know your pistol is cocked”? I said Yes, and explained that it was designed to be carried that way, and that it had 2 safety mechanisms as designed by a fella named John Browning (aka - Da Man). He went away happy.

Steve

NCjones

imported post

.45acp wrote:
I had a similar experience a few months ago. Young guy in the waiting room of my wife’s chiropractor said “Do you know your pistol is cocked”? I said Yes, and explained that it was designed to be carried that way, and that it had 2 safety mechanisms as designed by a fella named John Browning (aka - Da Man). He went away happy.

Steve

Three safeties.

The TRIGGER
The palm grip
The thumb safety

Same thing happened to me at my local gun shop. The old geezers hang out there to shoot the bull daily. I was carrying my Sig 1911. Some guy in a suit walked in. I got up to get another soda and crackers. He saw my piece and said "Is there some reason you carry THAT PISTOL with the hammer cocked?" (real snotty like).

Before I could open my mouth, one old dude sitting in a rocking chair that I had been talking to yells "Cause it's a damned 1911!"

I just got my soda and went and sat back down. Didn't see where any further explanation was needed.

DVC

imported post

.45acp wrote:
it had 2 safety mechanisms as designed by a fella named John Browning (aka - Da Man).
I had a friend who was a rabid anti-Mormon. It used to really grate on his nerves every time I pointed out that John Browning was a Mormon.

Then, a year or so after I started suggesting that, if he hated Mormons so much, he sell me all of his pistols, rifles and shotguns (all of which were designed by Browning or used Browning technology), I got a phone call from him -- he had visited the Browning Gun Shop in Nauvoo, Illinois, which had belonged to John's father, who also invented and built guns. This is now a church historical site and museum, with free tours by the missionaries.

My pal told me that this had finally broken through -- "I can't be mad at any church which makes a monument out of the Browning Gun Shop!"

.45acp

imported post

NCjones wrote:
.45acp wrote:

Steve

Three safeties.

The TRIGGER
The palm grip
The thumb safety

Yea, but Browning did not design the finger.

Steve