• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Better start emailing Congress

Glock27Bill

imported post

National Review has a large section on the Constitution in the current issue.

One of the articles talked about how SCOTUS (just like Congress) operates way outside of its Constitutional authority.

Much of what they rule on should be kicked back to the Legislative branch.

But that ain't gonna happen.

No one relinquishes power, regardless of how much it may lack Constitutional foundation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2010-05-12-chronicle-cartoon.jpg

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Let's don't talk about "gun rights" though. That's language from the people who want to disarm the population; anyone who's up in arms about an abstract right to have guns can be dismissed as alooney-tune.

What's at issue is the concept of preservation of civil rights guaranteed by the Constitution, as well as the right and power of the public to keep such weapons as may be needed for self defense, defense of other innocent third parties, and defense of the Nation. (Why didn't the Japanese invade California in WWII? Because they thought every American owned his own gun and knew how to use it.)

The Wolfhound

imported post

I concur with USER. We must be advocates for of all the civil rights guaranteed by the Constitution. This current bunch is already looking at special category arrests and prosecutions. The same procedures used on a "terrorist" could be used against an opponent of those elected to government if they met a loose definition of "dangerous". I own more than one bullet. That could make me dangerous in such interpretations. Preserve all our rights with equal fervor.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

In complete agreement here - the thrust must be to retain our civil rights, not just the protection of our gun rights.

More strongly stated and easier to promote is the protection of all civil rights - as opposed to selecting one over the other. The strength come from the collective total - the mass is greater than the sum total of the parts.

IMO there is no conflict with the principles and goals of this site to that regard either as a successful defense/promotion of one benefits the other - a win/win situation.

Yata hey