• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When it's not really a choice.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've met several people who compliment my carry, and I feel the only way to treat someone like that is to pick them up to the same level of being a citizen who chooses not to be a victim.

Most are probably just afraid of being judged, but they give the excuse "I can't afford a gun."

I'm not advocating gun welfare, but how hard would it be to have 2-3 inexpensive but decent revolvers or some such to sell to people like that?

It may not be what they want, but beggars can't be choosers. That doesn't mean they should be helpless. We know what is junk and what isn't (coughjenningscough), why not give them an assist?

Sure, you'd want to know they aren't violent criminals, etc... But 'strutting about' seems to be stopping short of the "full monty."

ecocks

imported post

Hi-Point, Bersa, Taurus and Rossi are my stock responses to these types of comments. I see the basic investment minimum as around $200-250 (new). That seems to be in reach of anyone above subsistence level living. Then some ammo and show them to your favorite shooting spot. Many are surprised you don't "need" those $1200+ tac models and tons of SD ammo. Introduce them to a Hi-Point 9mm or a Bersa .380 and a couple of boxes of FMJ ammo, then let them shoot into their starting pointa bit after safety basics. They get the job done.