• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA OC Info Card - text update?

45acpForMe

imported post

Is someone putting together a "correctly worded" update to the below from the VCDL Defender? I could take a shot at it but would prefer someone more "knowledgeable" update the list including citing code numbers & the confusing forest/park stuff. I want to get more cards printed but want to include the Feb-July 2010 changes.

KNOW THE LAW, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS

Open carry is legal in Virginia in most places with or without a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Concealed carry requires, with a few exceptions, a CHP, However, other restrictions may apply. Places where carrying is prohibited
-Federal Property (concealed w/CHP and hunting exempted in National Forests)
-Courthouses ( § 18.2-283.1)
-General Assembly Building & Property (open or concealed carry OK for CHP holders only) (JRC rule)
-Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)
-George Mason University (8VAC35-60-20)
-Detention Facilities (§ 15.2-915)
-Places of Worship during a service ”without good and sufficient reason”( § 18.2-283)
-Restaurants & clubs serving alcohol for on-premises consumption (concealed carry prohibited, open carry NOT prohibited; owners and employees exempted)(§ 18.2-308.J3)
-Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§ 18.2-287.01)
-K-12 school property (unless unloaded, in a closed container, and in a motor vehicle) (§18.2-308.1)
-K-12 school buses (§ 18.2-308.1)
-Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§ 18.2-308.1)
-Private property when prohibited by owner (§ 18.2-308.O)

nova

imported post

I would like to see "Buildings and Events" added to the line about George Mason University, since guns aren't prohibited at "George Mason University" in general, just buildings and univ. events.

I know space is limited but it would be a good idea to squeeze it in there because the current line on the card makes it seem as though you can't carry on any GMU property which is untrue.

Hopefully by next year the whole line about GMU can disappear.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Is someone putting together a "correctly worded" update to the below from the VCDL Defender? I could take a shot at it but would prefer someone more "knowledgeable" update the list including citing code numbers & the confusing forest/park stuff. I want to get more cards printed but want to include the Feb-July 2010 changes.

KNOW THE LAW, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS

Open carry is legal in Virginia in most places with or without a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Concealed carry requires, with a few exceptions, a CHP, However, other restrictions may apply. Places where carrying is prohibited
-Federal Property (concealed w/CHP and hunting exempted in National Forests)
-Courthouses ( § 18.2-283.1)
-General Assembly Building & Property (open or concealed carry OK for CHP holders only) (JRC rule)
-Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)
-George Mason University (8VAC35-60-20)
-Detention Facilities (§ 15.2-915)
-Places of Worship during a service ”without good and sufficient reason”( § 18.2-283)
-Restaurants & clubs serving alcohol for on-premises consumption (concealed carry prohibited, open carry NOT prohibited; owners and employees exempted)(§ 18.2-308.J3)
-Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§ 18.2-287.01)
-K-12 school property (unless unloaded, in a closed container, and in a motor vehicle) (§18.2-308.1)
-K-12 school buses (§ 18.2-308.1)
-Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§ 18.2-308.1)
-Private property when prohibited by owner (§ 18.2-308.O)
I would not even put that one since 99% of us agree that we all have good and sufficient reason to carry.

-K-12 school property (unless unloaded, in a closed container, and in a motor vehicle) (§18.2-308.1) and CHP holders can carry concealed in a motor vehichle for access and egress to the drop off zone.

Until July 1st.

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:

I would not even put that one since 99% of us agree that we all have good and sufficient reason to carry.
The only problem with leaving it out altogether is that we know you need a good and sufficient reason, but if you leave it out, someone new to carrying might not know that. So if confronted about it, they would not have the prepared answer ready to go, and without an answer, then they probably do not meet the requirement to have a good and sufficient reason.

That was wordy, I hope it makes sense.

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
ed wrote:

The only problem with leaving it out altogether is that we know you need a good and sufficient reason, but if you leave it out, someone new to carrying might not know that. So if confronted about it, they would not have the prepared answer ready to go, and without an answer, then they probably do not meet the requirement to have a good and sufficient reason.

That was wordy, I hope it makes sense.

TFred
Fair statement.. but on a small wallet card you can't list ALL the applicable laws (yet :) ) regarding guns.

curtiswr

imported post

ed wrote:
Fair statement.. but on a small wallet card you can't list ALL the applicable laws (yet :) ) regarding guns.

[line]​
[align=center]KNOW THE LAW, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
-Carry uninfringed, as you please, per VA and US constitution
[line]​

[align=left]Wouldn't that be neato?
[/align] [/align]

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will check with the Board of Directors (Grapeshot????) but normally VCDL has them printed and puts them out at the July meeting, right after the new laws take effect.

Then I put the same text into the Defender.

Remember, these new laws have not yet taken effect.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
I will check with the Board of Directors (Grapeshot????) but normally VCDL has them printed and puts them out at the July meeting, right after the new laws take effect.

Then I put the same text into the Defender.

Remember, these new laws have not yet taken effect.
Its in the works.

Anticipating arrival of new updated cards with the July 1st laws. It would be confusing and cause potential problems to put them out too soon.

Yata hey

45acpForMe

imported post

Well I want you to finalize the wording (citing #'s) so that I can send them off to be printed and available on July 1st.

It usually takes a couple weeks to get the cards printed and shipped.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Well I want you to finalize the wording (citing #'s) so that I can send them off to be printed and available on July 1st.

It usually takes a couple weeks to get the cards printed and shipped.
That will be no problem.

There will be a Va-Alert summarizing the changes etc. in the very near future.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
I need some of these cards. One of these days I will remember to carry some. At this point in the calendar, I can wait for the "Mark 2010" version.
Somebody normally has a supply at the OC breakfasts and dinners.

Yata hey