• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Patriot News - Pennsylvania localities relaxing gun laws to comply wth state law

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/05/gun_rights_activists_are_chall.html

SNIP

Gun rights activists are challenging municipal laws prohibiting people from carrying guns in parks
By MONICA VON DOBENECK, The Patriot-News
May 14, 2010, 12:00AM
. . .

The state law that lets just about anybody openly carry a loaded gun anywhere is butting up against municipal laws that outlaw guns from local parks where children play.

Upper Allen Township is reversing its ban on guns in parks after a resident wrote officials that the ordinance is illegal. Manager Lou Fazekas said officials were aware earlier that the ban is at odds with the state’s Uniform Firearms Act, but decided against taking action until a resident raised a complaint.

“It doesn’t matter how I feel,” Fazekas said. “We have to comply with state laws.”

It’s not a change that sits particularly well with Susan Vigliano as she sat with friends at a picnic table under a shade tree at the Upper Allen Township Community Park while their children played on Wednesday.

“As a parent, I don’t like the idea of having guns in parks,” she said.

Her friend, Angela Moran, said she grew up around guns and “a law’s a law,” but “I don’t really understand why you would bring a gun to a park.”

Heidi Bert said she could see the purpose if, for instance, someone is running by herself in a remote area.

She said she would “probably pay a little more attention” if she saw someone carrying a gun. “I wouldn’t leave unless I got an eerie feeling,” Bert said.

Nationwide, advocates of open carry have been increasingly challenging restrictions on their rights. They made headlines recently for visiting Starbucks while armed.

President Barack Obama approved a law in February allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks, reversing a law originally signed by President Ronald Reagan.

“The speed at which guns laws are being relaxed is increasing,” said John Pierce, a co-founder of OpenCarry.org. “We’re very happy about it.”

. . .

aadvark

imported post

Finally, there is a Municipal Corporation in Pennsylvania, or two, that acknowledges the effective State-wide Firearms Preemption under The Uniform Firearms Act of Pennsylvania, State Law 6120 of SubChapter A, Chapter 61, Article G, Part II, Title 18 Pa.C.S.A.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
“As a parent, I don’t like the idea of having guns in parks,” she said.

Her friend, Angela Moran, said she grew up around guns and “a law’s a law,” but “I don’t really understand why you would bring a gun to a park.”
Oh, maybe because any responsible parent who gives a damn about their kids would want to protect them?

But you two would rather say the same thing everyone else says to the Reporter:

"No one would have ever expected something like this here! I choose not to have a gun, so there was nothing I could do but watch my children by kidnapped/killed/raped! If only my political views weren't more important than my children, they might still be alive!"

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
She said she would “probably pay a little more attention” if she saw someone carrying a gun. “I wouldn’t leave unless I got an eerie feeling,” Bert said.
So where's yours, you ditzy broad? Pay a little more attention? How is this useful in any circumstance in which you have chosen to be unable to do anything?

OMG, an eerie feeling? Do you even have a brain, lady?

And these are the nurturers, the mothers, the parents?

No wonder so many kids turn out rotten these days.

Dreamer

imported post

The header uses inaccurate wording...

When a municipality has to drop a law restricting firearms so that it is in compliance with PA State Law, the PA State Constitution, an the 2A, it is NOT "relaxing" gun laws. It's is running your city in a legal, lawful manner.

When someone (even a local government) stops their illegal violation of naturla human rights, it is NOT "relaxing" a law.

The title should say:

Pennsylvania localities curtail illegal statutory violations of the civil rights of law-abiding citizens...

When we use words like "relaxing gun laws" to describe a municipality being forced by the rule of law to stop acting illegally, it makes it look like they were not doing anything wrong in the first place. Using phrases like that make it look like law-abiding gun owners are doing something wrong, but the governments are now going to "give us a pass" because we politically bullied them into it.

Nothing could be further from the reality of the situation.

The governments are the criminals when they pass laws that restrict rights. They just got "called out" on their criminal policies, and that is NOT "relaxing" anything. If anything, they are being held to a more STRINGENT standard with regards to gun laws...

Words have meaning folks. Handle them with care....