• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Press Herald - Maine open carry litter pickup is on for this weekend!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pressherald.com/news/gun-activist-shares-piece-of-his-mind_2010-05-14.html

SNIP

Updated: Today at 11:00 PM

BILL NEMITZ
Gun activist shares piece of his mind

Just when you thought the leader of Maine's "open-carry" gun movement was, shall we say, a flash in the pan, he's back.

Saturday afternoon, with his trusty Heckler & Koch USP Compact .357 Sig strapped to his side, Shane Belanger will meet once again at Portland's Back Cove with like-minded folks who think the only thing wrong with loaded weapons on the street is that there aren't enough of them.

Unlike their inaugural Back Cove barbecue three weeks ago, this weekend's gathering comes with a rather odd community-service twist: It will be Maine's first Open Carry Trash Pick-Up.

"This isn't in response or reaction to anything," said Belanger. "We're just going to give back to the community."

Some would argue that Belanger, at this point, is best ignored. But we focus this morning on his latest pistol-packing publicity grab for two reasons.

First, it's only fair to warn would-be litterbugs that you'd best be avoiding the walking path around Back Cove starting at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Second, as it becomes clear that Belanger's Maine Open Carry movement is apparently going to be around for awhile, a couple of questions beg to be answered:

Who exactly is this guy? . . .

He is, for starters, a very nice kid.

. . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Classic speaking down, condescending approach from interviewer.

I'm impressed with Shane's grace under fire, knowledge and level, straight forward approach. He and others behind him have put Maine fore square on the OC map.

I wish him the best and hope he never burns out - don't think he will as I think the whole idea has become a life style for him.

Best of luck Shane! Hope your exams went well and you have a great summer!

What's next?

Yata hey

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Next? The website that i've put about 10 hours into so far in 2 days... oh the joys of life! haha... my day= wake up go to work (6am) get off work (5-6pm) go home shower, eat and work on the website... then go to bed and do it all over again!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
Next? The website that i've put about 10 hours into so far in 2 days... oh the joys of life! haha... my day= wake up go to work (6am) get off work (5-6pm) go home shower, eat and work on the website... then go to bed and do it all over again!
School over for the summer?

Oh the joys of summer vacation .........right. :p

Take a break and do something for yourself too.

Yata hey

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
School over for the summer?

Oh the joys of summer vacation .........right. :p

Take a break and do something for yourself too.

Yata hey
Break? haha yeah right... my break comes during school. I look forward to school... I dread the summers because i've got so much work. I'm teaching myself CSS, HTML and Flash at the moment... this stuffs pretty hard actually...