Thread: NRA gathering highlights America's conflicting values

Post imported post

NRA gathering highlights America's conflicting values

Whenever the National Rifle Association gathers in any American city for its annual members meeting and exhibits, public attention is called to what can best be described as a culture engaged in a morality war with itself.
    We all want lower crime, safe streets, good neighborhoods where families can grow and live without fear. We also want an America that is the bastion of liberty and freedom; a place where the Bill of Rights still means something.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seatt...licting-values

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/3ag5u6a

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    ... gathering highlights America's conflicting values

We all want lower crime, safe streets, good neighborhoods where families can grow and live without fear. We also want an America that is the bastion of liberty and freedom; a place where the Bill of Rights still means something.
    I see no conflict but between money and principles.

Post imported post

Bypassing the rants about the NRA and its effectiveness or corruption in the fight for 2A, let's look at Mr. Workman's main argument -

The anti-gun rights/pro gun control crowd wants to be seen as "working with" the 2A/pro guns crowd (whether NRA, CCKBA, 2A Sisters, JPFO, VCDL/AZDL/WVCDL,CCDL etc.)but the only thing they offer is a label of "sensible gun laws" while asking the other sude (us gunnies) to give up just one little piece of what we still hold on to. They have never offered to compromise on their side of the fence.

And I agree with what Mr. Workman is saying. I just disagree completely with his headline. It's not America's values that are in conflict. It's the conflict between what one side says (we want to cooperate and work with you towards a reasonable compromise) and what that one side does (insist that the other side do all the giving up of ground; insist that it is their way or the highway).

Just thought I'd say it, in case anybody here was confused about the relative positions.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Bypassing the rants about the NRA and its effectiveness or corruption in the fight for 2A, let's look at Mr. Workman's main argument -

The anti-gun rights/pro gun control crowd wants to be seen as "working with" the 2A/pro guns crowd (whether NRA, CCKBA, 2A Sisters, JPFO, VCDL/AZDL/WVCDL,CCDL etc.)but the only thing they offer is a label of "sensible gun laws" while asking the other sude (us gunnies) to give up just one little piece of what we still hold on to. They have never offered to compromise on their side of the fence.

And I agree with what Mr. Workman is saying. I just disagree completely with his headline. It's not America's values that are in conflict. It's the conflict between what one side says (we want to cooperate and work with you towards a reasonable compromise) and what that one side does (insist that the other side do all the giving up of ground; insist that it is their way or the highway).

Just thought I'd say it, in case anybody here was confused about the relative positions.

stay safe.

skidmark

+1

I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)