• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA gathering highlights America's conflicting values

Dave Workman

imported post

NRA gathering highlights America's conflicting values

Whenever the National Rifle Association gathers in any American city for its annual members meeting and exhibits, public attention is called to what can best be described as a culture engaged in a morality war with itself.
We all want lower crime, safe streets, good neighborhoods where families can grow and live without fear. We also want an America that is the bastion of liberty and freedom; a place where the Bill of Rights still means something.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...hering-highlights-Americas-conflicting-values

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/3ag5u6a

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
... gathering highlights America's conflicting values

We all want lower crime, safe streets, good neighborhoods where families can grow and live without fear. We also want an America that is the bastion of liberty and freedom; a place where the Bill of Rights still means something.
I see no conflict but between money and principles.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bypassing the rants about the NRA and its effectiveness or corruption in the fight for 2A, let's look at Mr. Workman's main argument -

The anti-gun rights/pro gun control crowd wants to be seen as "working with" the 2A/pro guns crowd (whether NRA, CCKBA, 2A Sisters, JPFO, VCDL/AZDL/WVCDL,CCDL etc.)but the only thing they offer is a label of "sensible gun laws" while asking the other sude (us gunnies) to give up just one little piece of what we still hold on to. They have never offered to compromise on their side of the fence.

And I agree with what Mr. Workman is saying. I just disagree completely with his headline. It's not America's values that are in conflict. It's the conflict between what one side says (we want to cooperate and work with you towards a reasonable compromise) and what that one side does (insist that the other side do all the giving up of ground; insist that it is their way or the highway).

Just thought I'd say it, in case anybody here was confused about the relative positions.

stay safe.

skidmark

sudden valley gunner

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Bypassing the rants about the NRA and its effectiveness or corruption in the fight for 2A, let's look at Mr. Workman's main argument -

The anti-gun rights/pro gun control crowd wants to be seen as "working with" the 2A/pro guns crowd (whether NRA, CCKBA, 2A Sisters, JPFO, VCDL/AZDL/WVCDL,CCDL etc.)but the only thing they offer is a label of "sensible gun laws" while asking the other sude (us gunnies) to give up just one little piece of what we still hold on to. They have never offered to compromise on their side of the fence.

And I agree with what Mr. Workman is saying. I just disagree completely with his headline. It's not America's values that are in conflict. It's the conflict between what one side says (we want to cooperate and work with you towards a reasonable compromise) and what that one side does (insist that the other side do all the giving up of ground; insist that it is their way or the highway).

Just thought I'd say it, in case anybody here was confused about the relative positions.

stay safe.

skidmark

+1