• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Charlotte, with the NRA

Dave Workman

imported post

NRA gathering highlights America's conflicting values

Whenever the National Rifle Association gathers in any American city for its annual members meeting and exhibits, public attention is called to what can best be described as a culture engaged in a morality war with itself.
We all want lower crime, safe streets, good neighborhoods where families can grow and live without fear. We also want an America that is the bastion of liberty and freedom; a place where the Bill of Rights still means something.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...hering-highlights-Americas-conflicting-values

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/3ag5u6a

Trigger Dr

imported post

Dave, you need to get back here and run your table this weekend. :)THANKS for All you do for the rest of us.

Jim

knight_308

imported post

Not that the NRA practices what they supposedly preach. No guns allowed at the convention, right?

Dave Workman

imported post

knight_308 wrote:
Not that the NRA practices what they supposedly preach.  No guns allowed at the convention, right?

That's the convention center, not the NRA.
Last year in Phoenix, the place was pretty well armed.

knight_308

imported post

So the $64k question is why is the NRA supporting an anti-gun business by patronizing them and funneling thousands, if not millions of dollars their way?

Dave Workman

imported post

Oh, for pity sakes.

There are only so many facilities in this country that can handle this size of an exhibition.

State laws vary, and while not everywhere is Phoenix, the NRA cannot meet in Phoenix every year. They have to move these events around the country.

NRA will probably never meet in NY, NJ, IL, or CA again, and I don't anticipate New Orleans or Atlanta, either. That sort of limits things farther.

You got a better idea, share it with the NRA.

knight_308

imported post

Look Dave, I wasn't trying to start a pissing match. Really. It just doesn't seem right.

Dave Workman

imported post

knight_308 wrote:
Look Dave, I wasn't trying to start a pissing match.  Really.  It just doesn't seem right.

Well, I see this so often, and no offense meant, but some people just get their knickers in a twist toward the NRA at every opportunity.
granted, they don't always please me, and I used to be a director, and am an endowment member, but I've covered these events for the better part of 25 years, and there really isn't much the NRA can do about this except to work for changes in the statutes.

That's not the perfect answer, but it is the the only answer available.

NRA is required by law to hold annual member meetings, and they hold that meeting someplace different each year to give more people an opportunity to attend an event nearer to their home

They can't do it in Seattle anymore because the convention center just isn't big enough, even though CCW and OC would be perfectly legal there, and alas, in WA state, NRA simply doesn't draw the size crowd it does in Charlotte or Pittsburgh or Phoenix. Northwest gun owners are an apathetic lot overall, it would seem.

So, the short list of venues is what they are stuck with.

In a perfect world, it would not be so. But this isn't a perfect world, and we're stuck with it.:banghead:

Metalhead47

imported post

knight_308 wrote:
Look Dave, I wasn't trying to start a pissing match. Really. It just doesn't seem right.
Instead of dwelling on the handful of things the NRA does that you don't particularly agree with, why not look at all the overwhelming good they do for the RKBA, that dwarfs what you don't like by an order of magnitude? The simple fact is, the NRA is the single most powerful pro-gun lobby in the country, if not the world. They spend millions every year lobbying & lawyering to protect our rights. Many, if not all, of the recent pro-2a victories, local & national, WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED were it not for the NRA. Are they gonna do some things, and support some things, you don't particularly like? Of course. They do some things that irritate me at times too. But to dismiss them as somehow "anti-gun" is absolutely ludicrous. The NRA is your ally, not your enemy. You will not find ANY SINGLE organization, especially of that size, that agrees with you 100%. You probably can't find a single person who agrees with you 100% on everything. I know I can't. And that's a good thing.

Dave Workman

imported post

geojohn wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
We also want an America that is the bastion of liberty and freedom; a place where the Bill of Rights still means something.
If by "we" you mean all Americans, you're being a bit too diplomatic.  :p

Well, diplomacy seems to be a virtue that you do not share

;)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Does diplomacy mean compromising? If so I am not diplomatic. Maybe Washington gun owners are not apathetic but disillusioned with those who have compromised our gun rights and play political games with them.

I think they would have millions flooding to them if they lived up to M1Gunr's posting on the open letter to Uncle Ted Nugent.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=43544&forum_id=65&highlight=open+letter

Metalhead47

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Does diplomacy mean compromising? If so I am not diplomatic. Maybe Washington gun owners are not apathetic but disillusioned with those who have compromised our gun rights and play political games with them.

I think they would have millions flooding to them if they lived up to M1Gunr's posting on the open letter to Uncle Ted Nugent.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=43544&forum_id=65&highlight=open+letter
I don't think so. In this culture, if they lived up to that posting, they'd never get anywhere. They'd be labeled as radicals & kooks who want a gun free for all, and be dismissed just as quickly.

Any political solution demands compromise.

Think compromise is a bad thing? Think it doesn't work, that it's beneath you, not worth your time? The libs don't.

They've been using compromise to incrementally chip away at our rights, one at a time, for the last 50-100 years. And it's been working EXCELLENTLY for them. I say, use their own tactic against them, which the NRA and other groups that "compromise" do, and start incrementally restoring out rights. Which we've seen a lot of with the victories this year.

Sorry, but you're NEVER going to wake up one day & open the paper to see the headline "GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968 REPEALED." It, and other state & local infringements on our RKBA must be dismantled a piece at a time. That's that they're doing now in Chicago. I'll also add, that if the compromise-hating crowd starting flocking the the NRA by the thousands as well, maybe that would help change the NRA's mindset as well.

Any political solution to what ails this nation will demand compromise. Now, armed rebellion and rebuilding the government from the Constitution up, that's another matter entirely.

Dave Workman

imported post

Diplomacy is the art of not compromising, but making it appear you did.

People like to use that term "compromise" a lot, when in fact they don't know what they're talking about.

I know NRA has had to stave off some real terrible stuff by offering something less that they didn't like, but it stopped some very bad things from happening. Such as a permanent semi-auto ban, the NICS system instead of a permanent federal waiting period on all gun sales.

In the end, the AWB went away (and won't be coming back, knock wood) and while the NICS check isn't anything I like, it's better than a permanent waiting period. If someone thinks otherwise, please share your ideas about getting something different, and how you're going to accomplish that plausibly.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:

Any political solution demands compromise.

Think compromise is a bad thing? Think it doesn't work, that it's beneath you, not worth your time? The libs don't.

They've been using compromise to incrementally chip away at our rights, one at a time, for the last 50-100 years. And it's been working EXCELLENTLY for them. I say, use their own tactic against them, which the NRA and other groups that "compromise" do, and start incrementally restoring out rights. Which we've seen a lot of with the victories this year.

It isn't compromise when you are rolling it back, that is restoring. It is compromise when you give things up and help write a gun control bill instead of fighting tooth and nail against the legislation to begin with.

I don't play politics I am not political and because of the whole "compromising" solutions I never will be. It's why I don't vote for Republicans either they have compromised so far left they are more to the left than JFK democrats, where will it end.

The rolling back of gun rights are because Americans are insisting and showing their government we don't want any more intrusions and we want our rights restored.

I am not saying NRA or other organizations haven't done some good but they seem to be part of a good ol boy club and seem pretty behind the ball on what gun owners are doing for themselves. VCDL and AZCDL have done some great things that the NRA than try to jump on the band wagon and take credit for. An organization like that is not for me.

Read that letter that was posted and prove it is contrary to the truth.