• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rasmussen Survey on Open Carry

NCBobD

imported post

Found this in another forum and thought it was interesting.

47% Oppose Open-Carry Gun Laws, 41% Favor

Most Americans are not concerned about their safety around those who have legal permits to carry concealed weapons but have mixed feelings about laws that would allow gun owners to wear their weapons openly in public.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 41% of Adults are at least somewhat concerned about their safety in the presence of those who have “concealed carry” gun permits. Fifty-eight percent (58%) don’t share that concern.

But 47% oppose so-called “open carry” laws that would allow citizens to openly wear their guns in public. Forty-one percent (41%) favor laws. Several states are currently wrestling with this issue.

In households with a gun owner, support for “open carry” laws rises to 57%. In households where no gun is present, 62% oppose them.

Similarly, 55% of those in non-gun-owning households are concerned about their safety around those who have legal permits to carry concealed weapons. Just 27% of those who have a gun owner in their household express similar concern.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

This survey of 1,000 Adults nationwide was conducted on May 11-12, 2010 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Americans continue to overwhelmingly believe the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right of the average citizen to own a gun. Seventy-eight percent (78%) hold that view. These findings have changed little through several surveys.

Men believe in the constitutional right to own a gun more strongly than women. Whites believe in it more strongly than African-Americans.

Sizable majorities of Republicans, Democrats and adults not affiliated with either major party also think the Constitution guarantees the right of gun ownership.

However, Democrats are far more likely to be concerned about their safety around those with “concealed carry” permits than Republicans and unaffiliateds are.

Fifty-five percent (55%) of Republicans and a plurality (48%) of unaffiliated adults favor “open carry” laws, but 65% of Democrats oppose them.

Americans consistently have supported gun ownership over gun control. Sixty-nine percent (69%), for example, said in March that city governments do not have the right to prevent citizens from owning handguns. Forty-two percent (42%) said tougher anti-gun laws are needed, but 49% disagreed.

In recent years, support for stronger gun control has ranged narrowly from a low of 39% in October to a high of 45% in April 2007 following the killings at Virginia Tech.

Fifty-seven percent (57%) of Americans say gun sales are up in the United States because of a fear of increased government restriction on gun ownership. Early in his presidency, 71% believed it was at least somewhat likely that President Obama would seek tougher gun control laws.

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (it’s free) or follow us on Twitter or Facebook. Let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

Link with questionnaire example link at the bottom: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._laws_41_favor

Batousaii

imported post

If I recall correctly, this poll was slanted, with less than 1,000 people, i think the number was 600+/- actually answered. Unfortunately, when doing polls to a targeted audience, your figures will of course be biased, and is all to easy to word the questions so as to incline an answer too. I think what should be noted, is events and "in practice" where most Open Carries receive little or no reaction or flack from the people around them. Also contrast these poll results with turnout at evens, where we can example the event in WA where Pro-gunners outnumbered the anti crowd 10-1 or more. Another example in Seattle, where the Brady Campaign held a rally, and nearly all of the people who showed up and stood in the crowd were Pro-gun or open carriers mixed.

- My humble opinion is this poll is very biased and slanted. - If they want to know real results, they need to do open polling with absolutely no slant, and Both parties should be involved, and have equal representation when drafting the questions. If not, then it will more than likely be slanted. Media is as media does, and we all know media loves the slant.

- I have seen most polls with must stronger figures in favor of OC and firearms freedom.

;)Think about it.

Bat
P.S. - yes the pic is me, taken by the media at the Starbucks Seattle event- I was all over Seattle docks that day, pikes place, park etc. Only comments i got were positive. ~ love it.

NCBobD

imported post

If you click on the link at the bottom it takes you to the actual article with the questions and data on number of folks polled.

The 78% positive for 2A rights is encouraging.

Rush Creek

imported post

This poll is probably a pretty accurate representation of the average person's reaction to the "question" of open carry. This is why the average person needs to be exposed to responsible open carry more regularly.

To me -and probably most on this forum- the sight of a holstered handgun does not alarm me in the least. It is like a sleeping dog. Most average persons do not even think about the right to keep and bear arms much. That's why they may be seduced into believing that licensed concealed carry constitutes the exercise of a right.

Folks need to be exposed to more frequent RESPONSIBLE open carry.

ecocks

imported post

Looks about right to me based upon the political winds and the lack of organization amongst the gun community. This seems to highlight the need for responsibly assertive, yet non-confrontational,OC.

Italways bothersme that so many gun owners and even pro-CCpeople are still anti-OC. I cannot help but wonder what THEIR reaction would be if the OC practitioners aggressively pushed that OC was the "Only" Carry method worth protecting and sought legislation to ban CC. My guess is they wouldbe shocked,yet, for some strange reason they cannot see how the division in the Pro-2A communitystrengthens the Bradysand other anti's.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm at a point where I don't care if %90 of the people are programmed to be afraid of open carry laws. It's delusional, reactionary, and just plain wrong in a constitutional context. Furthermore, I don't think this poll is acurate nationwide. I'd bet they focused calls to metropoltain areas full of idiots with obozo stickers on their cars.

Regardless, it's not a significant majority of people polled who disagree. It's a margin that should easily be reversed with the proper arguements, or by turning off their TV's.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
I'm at a point where I don't care if %90 of the people are programmed to be afraid of open carry laws. It's delusional, reactionary, and just plain wrong in a constitutional context. Furthermore, I don't think this poll is acurate nationwide. I'd bet they focused calls to metropoltain areas full of idiots with obozo stickers on their cars.

Regardless, it's not a significant majority of people polled who disagree. It's a margin that should easily be reversed with the proper arguements, or by turning off their TV's.
+1

Batousaii

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Bat,

Rassmussen is a very reputable group. You can read the methodollogy yourself on their page.

Ya - after re-reading i believe i was off a bit (read it uber fast), i think i was connecting it to a different poll and responding as if.

Case being: My Bad - teach me to read a lil slower and make sure i am responding to / about the same poll being posted - lol

Sorry bout that, it's an off day.

:uhoh:Bat

eye95

imported post

The objection I have to the survey is that Rasmussen seems to have asked whether people favored laws allowing open carry, as though the activity cried out for government regulation. Having subconsciously planted that notion in folks' heads, how could Rasmussen not have gotten an overwhelming majority of yesses? But, the didn't, just a small majority.

Can you imagine if they had asked the question the way that recognizing OC as a right would demand it be asked: "Do you favor the repeal of laws that restrict law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to openly carry a personal firearm for their protection and the protection of those around them?"

KansasMustang

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Looks about right to me based upon the political winds and the lack of organization amongst the gun community. This seems to highlight the need for responsibly assertive, yet non-confrontational,OC.

Italways bothersme that so many gun owners and even pro-CCpeople are still anti-OC. I cannot help but wonder what THEIR reaction would be if the OC practitioners aggressively pushed that OC was the "Only" Carry method worth protecting and sought legislation to ban CC. My guess is they wouldbe shocked,yet, for some strange reason they cannot see how the division in the Pro-2A communitystrengthens the Bradysand other anti's.
I just wonder why anyone would want to ban CC? I think personally that ANY such banning of ANY such carry is just wrong. I think there's a time and place for either. Just me sayin' it.
I thought the 2A meant that ANY way a person wants to carry is granted by God and guaranteed by the Constitution,,again just me sayin' it.

ecocks

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
ecocks wrote:

I just wonder why anyone would want to ban CC? I think personally that ANY such banning of ANY such carry is just wrong. I think there's a time and place for either. Just me sayin' it.
I thought the 2A meant that ANY way a person wants to carry is granted by God and guaranteed by the Constitution,,again just me sayin' it.
Exactly my point. Why would any Pro-2A people argue against OC? If they don't like it fine, don't carry that way. What would their reaction be if we were so anti-CC that we argued so vehemently against it and began proposing this the way some of them and possibly, even the NRA, feel about OC?

Tawnos

imported post

eye95 wrote:
The objection I have to the survey is that Rasmussen seems to have asked whether people favored laws allowing open carry, as though the activity cried out for government regulation. Having subconsciously planted that notion in folks' heads, how could Rasmussen not have gotten an overwhelming majority of yesses? But, the didn't, just a small majority.

Can you imagine if they had asked the question the way that recognizing OC as a right would demand it be asked: "Do you favor the repeal of laws that restrict law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to openly carry a personal firearm for their protection and the protection of those around them?"
I agree, this question plays with the bias people have and lack of knowledge they have: "3* A number of states have passed or are considering laws that would allow citizens to openly wear their guns in public. Do you favor or oppose so-called “open carry” laws?"

This question could be better worded as "43 states currently allow open carry. A number of the remaining 7 are considering loosening or repealing their ban on citizens openly wearing their gun in public. Do you favor the repeal of these bans?"

As it's worded, it appears the law grants the privilege of open carry, where, in reality, it's not banned and is thus legal under our legal system.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can still count on one hand the number of negative comments I've received in public while OCing over the last 3 1/2 years or so. I long ago lost track of thenumber of positive comments. It must be several dozen by now.

If you want to read a good essay about public opinion (and thuspolls) read Mark Twain's Corn Pone Opinions.

http://www.paulgraham.com/cornpone.html

Here are the last lines:

"Its name is Public Opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles everything. Some think it the Voice of God."

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I amin a "democratic" state on the most "democratic" side in a very "democratic" county and I get a postive almost everyday.

My experience has been much like Citizens.