• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Successfully open carried after a year or so

Aaron1124

imported post

I am unsure if you have read any of my previous posts regarding open carry, but I have stated that as of the past year or so, I have carried concealed, and that is primarily due to the fact that when I did open carry, I ran in to some hassling situations. One being at a Target store, and the other being at a Walmart store. Both times, I was in a bit of a hurry. Halfway through Target, on my way to the card aisle (I was getting a card for my buddy's wedding) and I had a uniformed security officer approach me, saying that they had a customer complain about my firearm, and then asked if I was law enforcement. I simply told him that I wasn't, and that I'm just a citizen. He then told me that seeing how the customer had complained, he'll have to ask me to go leave my firearm in my vehicle while I shop. I politely asked him if I could continue to pick up a wedding card, and I'll be on my way. He said that was fine, but asked me to conceal my firearm (so I did, because I was in a hurry).

Anyway, that took up a few unnecessary minutes of my time.

The time at Walmart, I was simply picking up some film that I was getting developed. I was stopped by the door greeter, telling me that I will have to go leave "that" in the car (as he points down to my sidearm). I asked if it was against there policies for citizens to legally carry their firearm on store property. He simply nodded and said "Yes it is, sir." I then politely asked if I can speak with a manager before I put away my firearm. He complied. I stood there for about five minutes before he walked back with the store manager. As they approached me, the door greater went back to greeting customers, and the manager came over to me. He apologized for the inconvenience, and informed me that at Walmart, they follow state law, and that there was absolutely no restrictions for me carrying my firearm inside store property, and mentioned he would let his new hires know that.

Anyway, after these two incidences (which occurred within two weeks from each other) I decided that to save the hassle and time, I would just start carrying concealed.

After reading some first time open carry posts on here as of late, I decided to give it a whirl again. I know that over the past year, many more businesses have become more accustomed to open carry, and have become "enlightened" so to speak on open carry, and the legalities of it. I decided to open carry to the Kent Safeway Store (which is directly across the street from where I live - so I just walk there).

I went in the store and no one seemed to even look twice. No customers, no employees, or anyone. Not a single problem at all. I feel I may have just struck a bit of bad luck last year, and hit those stores at the wrong time, and on the wrong days.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congrats Aaron!

I remember your posts, I was one who questioned you but I stand corrected. My apologies.

I will still say this, everyday I go out I am prepared to be inconvenienced for a bit, or even asked to leave a business. I have a brochure and my audio recorder ready. Fortunately, after 7 months that has not happened. But still I am ready. I think that education is still needed. I am willing and prepared to educate. On days that I may be in a hurry, I will cover up, but those days are rare.

Again, keep up the good work, it will take many of us to change perceptions.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Aaron1124

imported post

Thanks! It definitely seems more businesses have become much more open carry friendly as of late. The more people we have open carrying, the more accustom to it they will become.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I have a brochure and my audio recorder ready.

'cept when there's a big, ugly, cheeseburger-inhaling Brady campaigner that crashes an OC meet.....

Aaron- I think you handled yourself well for the situations you were presented with. Yeah, it did take up a few extra moments of your time, but especially with the Walmart incident, you were able to remind a manager about something they needed to train their staff about. And you're right, most of the time people just don't care because they don't even notice...

-G20

Batousaii

imported post

Congrats Aaron, and i believe your correct regarding the last year especially. Seems OC has made leaps and bounds for awareness and normalising, or at least acceptance. Sounds like you handled the previous situations well.

;)Bat

Aryk45XD

imported post

congrats on the better experiences and thank you for helping to spread awareness. Luckily I have only had good and bad encounters, and even some bad that turned good. Just be prepared.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

It comes in waves sometimes too. Life is like that. The overwhelming majority of the time if I get approached or talked to it is positive.

Than somedays I get an unusual negative comment from more than one person. Don't know why. I just remember to focus on the positive effects of open carry and ignore the hoplophobes.