• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is wrong with people

fisheyes

imported post

Ok this is going to be a small rant, but I was in Minnesota this week for work, and while sitting at the hotel lounge, discussing politics and the state of the country, I brought up the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution, stating that a huge reason that our country is like it is is because most schools don't even teach about it or what it means anymore,. Any way the bar tender states that he feels that we should be allowed to own guns just not carry them, so I ask him his reason behind such a statement. He comes out and says well he lost a friend who was a bouncer at a club a few years ago by a man who up till that point was supposedly a lawful person. He said this bouncer threw this guy out of the bar the guy came back in with a gun and shot him.

So I reply "that is horrible but the guy that shot him was not a good guy he had already made the choice to commit a crime when he went back to his car for his weapon." And the out come may have been different had the establishment allowed the bouncer to carry.

So then I asked him what if someone was to break in to his house and threaten his child's or wives's life or his, and his answer to that is "I am a pretty big guy and I think I could disable the bad guy before anything happened," Well that blew me away as well as one other person at the bar I could do nothing but stare at this guy :cuss:and say to myself people like you you lunatic are why this country is in the shape its in, he proceeded to tell me that Chicago's problem wasn't with the Gangstas wannabes down there but that they had guns.

So I just shook my head :banghead:and told him to do a little more checking of facts before he believes the medias version,I guesssome people just arenot born with the ability to reason.So I gave up trying to discuss the subject with this nuckelhead as it was pointless.

In the meantime the other person at the bar asked me where I was getting my info from, I gave her this web site and she seemed very intrested in it, she was also from Wisconsin, She stated that she had some problems in the past with break ins at her home when she wasn't home, and while it hadn't happened lately she was think of purchasing a weapon for protection just in case it happend again while she was home and that it may help her feel little more secure and was unaware that Wisconsin allowed open carry.

So even though I was dealing with idiots I was able I hope to at least steer someone in the right direction,:) Ok Rant is over

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You cannot argue with idiots! LOL!

Check out Glenn Beck's book....."Arguing with Idiots".

I have tried many times to reason with people that think the way you mentioned. Years ago in my younger days I worked with a guy that told me and everyone we worked with that he would never lift a finger to defend himself or his family. He had a wife and an infant daughter. We asked him what he would do if a man broke into their apartment and raped his wife, daughter and then murdered them all.

He said "We will all die". No matter what any of us said he would not change his mind. Needless to say none of us wanted to be around him at all.

Some people will "Dial A Prayer" and die, others will stand up and fight. The choice is up to every individual. I choose to always stand up and fight to protect myself and my family.:exclaim:

SIGdude

imported post

I agree with you on all points except for the part about a bouncer being allowed to carry a firearm.

I'm a bouncer, and I would never dream carrying on the job even if I were authorized to, it brings waaaay too much trouble when it is you surrounded by 20 drunk people, that is what they are going to grab for if you are trying to removed them semi-forcibly. I would have no problem keeping it loaded and uncased behind me or at the front door on a shelf, but keeping it on my person would never happen.

Now a Taser on the other hand.... I wish they weren't illegal here.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SIGdude wrote:
I agree with you on all points except for the part about a bouncer being allowed to carry a firearm.

I'm a bouncer, and I would never dream carrying on the job even if I were authorized to, it brings waaaay too much trouble when it is you surrounded by 20 drunk people, that is what they are going to grab for if you are trying to removed them semi-forcibly. I would have no problem keeping it loaded and uncased behind me or at the front door on a shelf, but keeping it on my person would never happen.

Now a Taser on the other hand.... I wish they weren't illegal here.
Good points. I have to agree if I were a bouncer...no gun on me. That is why bouncers are more than just one person....just like in "Road House". Bouncers have to be tough and should be trained in more than just "casual" fighting styles. Just my 2 cents! Another point for me is I never go to a bar or club that doesn't feel right. If it doesn't look all nice and cozy I stay as far away as possible.

fisheyes

imported post

Very good points maybe I am the goof :banghead:and should have thought it out before I answered like I did, "my bad " as I agree that a bouncer packen heat could lead to big trouble.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

fisheyes wrote:
...sitting at the hotel lounge, discussing politics and the state of the country, I brought up the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution, stating that a huge reason that our country is like it is is because most schools don't even teach about it or what it means anymore,. Any way the bar tender states that he feels that we should be allowed to own guns just not carry them, so I ask him his reason behind such a statement. He comes out and says well he lost a friend who was a bouncer at a club a few years ago by a man who up till that point was supposedly a lawful person. He said this bouncer threw this guy out of the bar the guy came back in with a gun and shot him.

So I reply "that is horrible but the guy that shot him was not a good guy he had already made the choice to commit a crime when he went back to his car for his weapon." And the out come may have been different had the establishment allowed the bouncer to carry.

This is a great example to displayHankT's Theory Of Inverse Firearm Requirements[suP]©[/suP] (HTIFR[suP]©[/suP]).

This theory, long in development and nearly finished, asserts that two intelligent and validentities (individuals or groups) can observe a given situation, being exposed to and comprehending exactly the same details, and conclude opposite positions on whether more or less guns are needed to address the given situation. Typically, one position is that more guns would better address the problem (and that less guns are a problem). This is called the MGGLGB position. Alternatively, the other position is that less guns would better address the problem (and thatmore guns are a problem). This is called the LGGMGB position.

In the instant case, fisheyes holds the MGGLGB position: More guns good, less guns bad. The "lunatic" bartender holds the LGGMGB position: Less guns good, more guns bad.

These two positions are logical contraries, meaning that both positions cannot be true.

Unfortunately, this opppositional relationship tends to generate discussion (and rants and name-calling) that treat the two positions as logical contradictories, meaning that both positions cannot be true simultaneously but that one, and only one of the positions is always true.

This leads to a classic fallacy of false bifurcation: positing that only the MGGLGB position or the LGGMGB position can be true.

In reality, there are at least two other possible positions that might be right. And it is possible that both the MGGLGB positionand the LGGMGB positions are false. Or irrelevant.

fisheyes wrote:
So even though I was dealing with idiots I was able I hope to at least steer someone in the right direction,:) Ok Rant is over

See?? :shock:

Yet further support for HTIFR[suP]©[/suP].

M

McX

imported post

thread said; what is wrong with people? so i thought i'd give my 2 pennies; answer; their nuts.

Packer fan

imported post

HankT wrote:
fisheyes wrote:
...sitting at the hotel lounge, discussing politics and the state of the country, I brought up the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution, stating that a huge reason that our country is like it is is because most schools don't even teach about it or what it means anymore,. Any way the bar tender states that he feels that we should be allowed to own guns just not carry them, so I ask him his reason behind such a statement. He comes out and says well he lost a friend who was a bouncer at a club a few years ago by a man who up till that point was supposedly a lawful person. He said this bouncer threw this guy out of the bar the guy came back in with a gun and shot him.

This is a great example to displayHankT's Theory Of Inverse Firearm Requirements[suP]©[/suP] (HTIFR[suP]©[/suP]).

This theory, long in development and nearly finished, asserts that two intelligent and validentities (individuals or groups) can observe a given situation, being exposed to and comprehending exactly the same details, and conclude opposite positions on whether more or less guns are needed to address the given situation. Typically, one position is that more guns would better address the problem (and that less guns are a problem). This is called the MGGLGB position. Alternatively, the other position is that less guns would better address the problem (and thatmore guns are a problem). This is called the LGGMGB position.

In the instant case, fisheyes holds the MGGLGB position: More guns good, less guns bad. The "lunatic" bartender holds the LGGMGB position: Less guns good, more guns bad.

These two positions are logical contraries, meaning that both positions cannot be true.

Unfortunately, this opppositional relationship tends to generate discussion (and rants and name-calling) that treat the two positions as logical contradictories, meaning that both positions cannot be true simultaneously but that one, and only one of the positions is always true.

This leads to a classic fallacy of false bifurcation: positing that only the MGGLGB position or the LGGMGB position can be true.

In reality, there are at least two other possible positions that might be right. And it is possible that both the MGGLGB positionand the LGGMGB positions are false. Or irrelevant.

fisheyes wrote:

See?? :shock:

Yet further support for HTIFR[suP]©[/suP].

Wow Hank! How long did it take you to think up the obvious?

Isn't that what the OP just stated without having to come up with a theory that isstill in the works?

Can I add one more? SHEEPLE=So Horribly Educated ElitistPeople Living Emotionally.

Those who think they are educated by following their emotions, or following their hearts, with no real facts and knowing what is best for everyone else; thus, allowing them to dismiss realty and formulate vague postulates and obvious theories.

Should I trade mark this and defend it the rest of my life?:D