Thread: what statutes should one carry?

Post imported post

above and beyond the trifold, which i just printed out, what statutes should i carry?

i am not a rich guy. i do not want to be a test case. if i can have the most relevant statutes with me, i would like to.

for example, i watched Kimberguy's videos on youtube.com. i know that open carry in a vehicle is legal (with a CPL), if i could have the statute that had issues like this all printed out... well it could save me time and hassle. and, in my humble opinion, i think Kimberguy handled those confrontations with the Jackson police beautifully. i would have been very nervous. he did great.

anyways, that is just an example of the kind of statutes that i would like to have. so, if you have more relevant statutes post them. thank you.

Post imported post

Really the best thing you can have is at least 1 voice recorder on you and running when you are OCing.

The police may or may not pay any attention to information you give them. There is no excuse for them to not know the law at this point so recording is a CYA deal at this point.

Also look in the stickies at the top of this page and read and memorize Wash Rinse Repeat.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

ElectricianLU58 wrote:
    above and beyond the trifold, which i just printed out, what statutes should i carry?

i am not a rich guy. i do not want to be a test case. if i can have the most relevant statutes with me, i would like to.

for example, i watched Kimberguy's videos on youtube.com. i know that open carry in a vehicle is legal (with a CPL), if i could have the statute that had issues like this all printed out... well it could save me time and hassle. and, in my humble opinion, i think Kimberguy handled those confrontations with the Jackson police beautifully. i would have been very nervous. he did great.

anyways, that is just an example of the kind of statutes that i would like to have. so, if you have more relevant statutes post them. thank you.
    Go to http://www.miopencarry.org There is a tri-fold with the basics you can printout. http://www.miopencarry.org/moc_files/brochure.pdf

As was stated, if the officer doesn't want to look at what you have to offer there is noting you can say or do to make him.

It's better to record the stop and say very little. Let them do what they will do. You always have recourse later.

As long as you were not breaking any laws there is little they can lawfully do.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

where do i get a recorder like this? best buy, or a place like that? what are the best ones for this purpose?

Post imported post

I got mine from ebay. Search this forum for 'recorder', as there was a recent thread somewhat related to recorders.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

Amazon has the best deals with free shipping too!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

i just printed out the michigan open carry reference chart and put it with my trifold printout.

Post imported post

I debated whether I should put this here as I have posted it before.. One of the questions that comes up quite often is whether wearing a firearm a certain way is OC or does the officer need to see all of it or just part of it, etc.

The attached file is the citation listed by the MSP and our Open Carry flyer supporting the contention that openly carrying a holstered pistol on a belt is OC. But, I think it's important to read what ACTUALLY was stated when it comes to "how open is open".

see attached
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

Good reminder! I will be up around your neck of the woods on Saturday Dr.Todd doing and OC seminar at Rylee's in GR

Post imported post

I hope to be able to go, at least for a couple hours...just need to rearrange some appointments
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    I hope to be able to go, at least for a couple hours...just need to rearrange some appointments
    Well I hope to see you! And just FYI if you cannot make it until after the Seminar we are going some place for a late lunch and then a short OC motorcycle ride around south Kent County!

Post imported post

I carry a bunch of legal info, but realistically it's not that critical. Police need to know a law that you are breaking to have RAS to stop you. If they don't know of a law, they can't stop you. If a cop is confused about a law and stops you, tell him to call an on call prosecutor to be told he's a dumb ass who is asking to be sued.

As has been said, recorders are what you need. I say at least 2, minimally one of which is a covert type.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    ..If a cop is confused about a law and stops you, tell him to call an on call prosecutor to be told he's a dumb ass who is asking to be sued.

As has been said, recorders are what you need. I say at least 2, minimally one of which is a covert type.
    I need to shop around for another covert recorder now.

My first used one I bought off ebay has a terrible battery life (rechargeable). At least it was only $20 I got scammed for.

Post imported post

I used the voice notes app on my blackberry for my meeting with the gun board and was really happy with the sound quality.

Post imported post

Do you know if it works well through a denim pocket? I have a BB and considered using it, but I carry it in my pocket instead of a belt clip. I guess I will have to give it a try.

Post imported post

I have used with success in my shirt pocket, but I have not tried it in a pants pocket.

Post imported post

I will test it on my walk tonight. My olympus vn-6000 does well from my carpenter pants pocket on my thigh, as the mic points up. It is also hard to notice down there. Not sure if I want to leave my BB voice notes recording every time I leave the house, but it might be nice if I forget my recorder or a cop snags it from me. :X

Banned

Post imported post

I carry an optimus VN-6200pc

The guys are right about the cop not wanting to hear it. But the simplest way to know where you can and cant carry, is to go to the beginning of the michigan forums, and check the stickies for Warchilds carry chart.

The laws you need depend on if you have a CPL or not.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I carry an optimus VN-6200pc

The guys are right about the cop not wanting to hear it. But the simplest way to know where you can and cant carry, is to go to the beginning of the michigan forums, and check the stickies for Warchilds carry chart.

The laws you need depend on if you have a CPL or not.
    ... and where you will be carrying. eg OC in PFZ w/ CPL

Banned

Post imported post

I carry w/out CPL everywhere I possibly can legaly.