• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what statutes should one carry?

ElectricianLU58

imported post

above and beyond the trifold, which i just printed out, what statutes should i carry?

i am not a rich guy. i do not want to be a test case. if i can have the most relevant statutes with me, i would like to.

for example, i watched Kimberguy's videos on youtube.com. i know that open carry in a vehicle is legal (with a CPL), if i could have the statute that had issues like this all printed out... well it could save me time and hassle. and, in my humble opinion, i think Kimberguy handled those confrontations with the Jackson police beautifully. i would have been very nervous. he did great.

anyways, that is just an example of the kind of statutes that i would like to have. so, if you have more relevant statutes post them. thank you.

autosurgeon

imported post

Really the best thing you can have is at least 1 voice recorder on you and running when you are OCing.

The police may or may not pay any attention to information you give them. There is no excuse for them to not know the law at this point so recording is a CYA deal at this point.

Also look in the stickies at the top of this page and read and memorize Wash Rinse Repeat.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ElectricianLU58 wrote:
above and beyond the trifold, which i just printed out, what statutes should i carry?

i am not a rich guy. i do not want to be a test case. if i can have the most relevant statutes with me, i would like to.

for example, i watched Kimberguy's videos on youtube.com. i know that open carry in a vehicle is legal (with a CPL), if i could have the statute that had issues like this all printed out... well it could save me time and hassle. and, in my humble opinion, i think Kimberguy handled those confrontations with the Jackson police beautifully. i would have been very nervous. he did great.

anyways, that is just an example of the kind of statutes that i would like to have. so, if you have more relevant statutes post them. thank you.

Go to http://www.miopencarry.org There is a tri-fold with the basics you can printout. http://www.miopencarry.org/moc_files/brochure.pdf

As was stated, if the officer doesn't want to look at what you have to offer there is noting you can say or do to make him.

It's better to record the stop and say very little. Let them do what they will do. You always have recourse later.

As long as you were not breaking any laws there is little they can lawfully do.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I debated whether I should put this here as I have posted it before.. One of the questions that comes up quite often is whether wearing a firearm a certain way is OC or does the officer need to see all of it or just part of it, etc.

The attached file is the citation listed by the MSP and our Open Carry flyer supporting the contention that openly carrying a holstered pistol on a belt is OC. But, I think it's important to read what ACTUALLY was stated when it comes to "how open is open".

see attached

autosurgeon

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
I hope to be able to go, at least for a couple hours...just need to rearrange some appointments :)
Well I hope to see you! And just FYI if you cannot make it until after the Seminar we are going some place for a late lunch and then a short OC motorcycle ride around south Kent County!

Michigander

imported post

I carry a bunch of legal info, but realistically it's not that critical. Police need to know a law that you are breaking to have RAS to stop you. If they don't know of a law, they can't stop you. If a cop is confused about a law and stops you, tell him to call an on call prosecutor to be told he's a dumb ass who is asking to be sued.

As has been said, recorders are what you need. I say at least 2, minimally one of which is a covert type.

fozzy71

imported post

Michigander wrote:
..If a cop is confused about a law and stops you, tell him to call an on call prosecutor to be told he's a dumb ass who is asking to be sued.

:lol:

As has been said, recorders are what you need. I say at least 2, minimally one of which is a covert type.

I need to shop around for another covert recorder now. :(

My first used one I bought off ebay has a terrible battery life (rechargeable). At least it was only $20 I got scammed for.

fozzy71

imported post

Do you know if it works well through a denim pocket? I have a BB and considered using it, but I carry it in my pocket instead of a belt clip. I guess I will have to give it a try.

fozzy71

imported post

I will test it on my walk tonight. My olympus vn-6000 does well from my carpenter pants pocket on my thigh, as the mic points up. It is also hard to notice down there. Not sure if I want to leave my BB voice notes recording every time I leave the house, but it might be nice if I forget my recorder or a cop snags it from me. :X

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I carry an optimus VN-6200pc

The guys are right about the cop not wanting to hear it. But the simplest way to know where you can and cant carry, is to go to the beginning of the michigan forums, and check the stickies for Warchilds carry chart.

The laws you need depend on if you have a CPL or not.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I carry an optimus VN-6200pc

The guys are right about the cop not wanting to hear it. But the simplest way to know where you can and cant carry, is to go to the beginning of the michigan forums, and check the stickies for Warchilds carry chart.

The laws you need depend on if you have a CPL or not.
... and where you will be carrying. eg OC in PFZ w/ CPL