• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mi State Trooper Illegally Detains Man For Open Carry

B

Bikenut

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
Then, he is like "what's that?" pointing at my voice recorder. He took it off my belt and began pushing buttons in an apparent attempt to delete the encounter. Without thinking, i grabbed a hold of it and we played tug-of-war for a few seconds until he gave me that "stop or i will taze you" look. Then i said "you can't delete that! That would be criminal!!" he relented and gave it back. Fortunately for me my recorder was "locked" so the buttons wouldn't work.
There are some video + audio recorders out there that require plugging into a computer to download and/or erase their files. There is absolutely no way of erasing anything just by pushing exterior buttons. The only way to mess up this type of recorder would be to smash it... which, if carrying more than one recorder, would be recorded.

Some are even covert in nature. Some police use those covert recorders too.

Google fu will serve you well in finding such devices.

May I suggest being discreet with posting what you may have found.... no sense in letting everyone know what they look like.

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Looks good but you might want to give the author of Wash Rinse Repeat a CITE as it is his intellectual property.

A cite is not necessary as Mr Ghostrider worked with me to create that page and was fully aware of the publishing. If he asked for a cite I'd be happy to do so. Some of it is also in my own words as well.

I would like to add more to the protect your rights section. Check out the other sub pages too. I will be adding an ask the 2A lawyer section and others in the future. We have many ideas not released and fully developed yet. Including a fully integrated forum and event schedule.

lapeer20m

imported post

Here is a rough draft of the complaint:

Col. Peter C. Munoz, Director, Michigan State Police
Cc: :Attorney General Mike Cox, Shanon Akans, MSP Public Affairs, Senator Judson Gilbert, Representative Kevin Daley

June 30, 2010
To Whom It May Concern:

I, xxx, would like to file a complaint in regards to an encounter that took place on May 14 at approximately 1200 (noon) in the area of 1073 Tobias road in Clio (Vienna twp).

xxx, after being assaulted and battered, his person was then unreasonably and unlawfully seized, was detained illegally, by Michigan State Trooper Marc Shore. Trooper Shore then violated Mr. xxx’s fourth amendment rights by demanding that Mr. xxx produce Identification and with his illegal detention, search, and seizure of Mr xxx and his property without any reasonable suspicion.

Trooper Shore also illegally seized Mr. xxx’s voice recorder and attempted to tamper with evidence by attempting to delete the recording of the encounter. The recording was not deleted simply because the keys on the recording device were “locked” preventing the buttons from functioning.

Mr. xxx was not charged or convicted of any criminal law violation as a result of this incident. Mr. xxx arrived on May 14, 2010 at approximately ten o’clock am at an outdoor auction open to the public on Tobias Road.

Mr. xxx was physically forced to turn around and stand facing a police car while he was searched by Trooper Shore.

Mr. xxx at no time resisted arrest.

Trooper Shore illegally confiscated Mr. xxx property. Trooper Shore had no cause or justification to do so.

Trooper Shore then unlawfully seized Mr. xxx’s person without probable cause to believe a crime occurred and falsely imprisoned Mr. xxx inside a Michigan State Police vehicle for approximately 20 minutes.

Mr. xxx, aware of this unlawful search and seizure, informed the officer that the officer’s conduct was improper.

Mr. xxx verbally indicated he did not consent to any searches or seizures .

Trooper Shore continued with the unlawful confinement of Mr. xxx until Mr xxx complied with Trooper Shores Illegal Demand to produce identifying papers.

Near the end of the encounter, after Trooper Shore had returned Mr. xxx’s identifying papers and pistol, Trooper Shore then confiscated Mr. xxx’s voice recorder and began pushing buttons in an attempt to delete the recording of the encounter. Mr. xxx insisted that Trooper Shore not delete the recording and Mr. xxx exclaimed that deleting the recording would be criminal. The confiscation of the recorder took place outside of the police car, in front of a crowd of people. After Mr. xxx’s pleading, Trooper Shore returned the voice recorder, only after pushing several buttons in an attempt to delete the data.
Trooper Shore lacked legal authority to search, seize, detain, confine, and deprive Mr xxx of his liberty.

Trooper Shore lacked the legal authority to seize and attempt to delete the data contained on Mr. xxx’s voice recorder.

Trooper Shore also wrote down the serial number of Mr xxx’s pistol in the Trooper’s notebook, even after Mr xxx objected to any searches or seizures, including running the serial number on said pistol through LEIN.

A Freedom of Information Act request was filed with Michigan State Police. All information regarding the interaction was requested, including but not limited to: Dash camera video/audio, police reports, records of access to the LEIN system involving Mr xxx and his pistol. The FOIA request was denied on the grounds that “… the requested public records do not exist within the Department. “

Enclosed is a compact disk that contains a copy of the audio recorded by Mr. Harrison during the encounter with Trooper Shore.

I expect a timely investigation and suitable resolution to the complaint. Please contact me with any further questions you may have.

Sincerely:

Mr XXX

Master Control

...no way of erasing anything...

lapeer20m wrote: There are some video + audio recorders out there that require plugging into a computer to download and/or erase their files. There is absolutely no way of erasing anything just by pushing exterior buttons. The only way to mess up this type of recorder would be to smash it... which, if carrying more than one recorder, would be recorded.

Some are even covert in nature. Some police use those covert recorders too.

Google fu will serve you well in finding such devices.

May I suggest being discreet with posting what you may have found.... no sense in letting everyone know what they look like.

Reminder Option: http://michigan2a.porcupine411.com/
Suggest that you add it to your speed dial for backup

lapeer20m

No i did not.

Given my line of work, i decided it would be best to not file the complaint. I work with officers often on a professional level.

Perhaps i am a glass half full kind of guy, but i think that that particular officers behavior has changed since the incident.

I don't know how they stumbled across it, but my understanding is that nearly every police officer in Lapeer County has now seen the youtube video, including the state troopers. It would not surprise me if the trooper involved in the incident (from genesee county) and his bosses have now listened to the audio as well.

Even though i do not appreciate the heat the video has caused me personally, the video has done positive things for oc'ers in Lapeer county. Every officer now knows that open carry is not only legal, but people are doing it right here in this county. The officers are now leaving oc'ers alone, even if their motivation is fear of getting caught breaking the law and being put on youtube rather than the correct reasons.

I would imagine that as officers in other counties see similar videos, they are also more cautious when they interact with oc'ers

I did not file a complaint, but i think that the incident has caused positive things to happen for open carriers.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
No i did not.

Given my line of work, i decided it would be best to not file the complaint. I work with officers often on a professional level.

Perhaps i am a glass half full kind of guy, but i think that that particular officers behavior has changed since the incident.

I don't know how they stumbled across it, but my understanding is that nearly every police officer in Lapeer County has now seen the youtube video, including the state troopers. It would not surprise me if the trooper involved in the incident (from genesee county) and his bosses have now listened to the audio as well.

Even though i do not appreciate the heat the video has caused me personally, the video has done positive things for oc'ers in Lapeer county. Every officer now knows that open carry is not only legal, but people are doing it right here in this county. The officers are now leaving oc'ers alone, even if their motivation is fear of getting caught breaking the law and being put on youtube rather than the correct reasons.

I would imagine that as officers in other counties see similar videos, they are also more cautious when they interact with oc'ers

I did not file a complaint, but i think that the incident has caused positive things to happen for open carriers.

Hmmm...we'll it must be an unlisted posting on youtube as I cannot find either the video yet...maybe some of his peers posted it to razz him?

The Guy who called on you was a major "D" bag!

Audio links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DncOUcpMWus (part one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3znSSGgiLaY&feature=related (part two?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0os57vNunM&feature=related (part three)

Last edited:

lapeer20m

Last edited: