• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mi State Trooper Illegally Detains Man For Open Carry

DanM

imported post

lapeer,

Among your options is an FBI Color of Law complaint. This costs no money, and you should keep it on the table as one of your options you might want to pursue.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/civilrights/color.htm

"U.S. law enforcement officers and other officials like judges, prosecutors, and security guards have been given tremendous power by local, state, and federal government agencies—authority they must have to enforce the law and ensure justice in our country. These powers include the authority to detain and arrest suspects, to search and seize property, to bring criminal charges, to make rulings in court, and to use deadly force in certain situations.

"Preventing abuse of this authority, however, is equally necessary to the health of our nation’s democracy. That’s why it’s a federal crime for anyone acting under “color of law” willfully to deprive or conspire to deprive a person of a right protected by the Constitution or U.S. law. “Color of law” simply means that the person is using authority given to him or her by a local, state, or federal government agency."

Given that it is known that the MSP is well aware of the legality of open carry (they've issued more than one bulletin about it) this officer could very well be found to have willfully deprived you of protected rights. Also, if your belief that other law enforcement officers were involved is true, the entire set of circumstances regarding their actionsmay rise to the level of conspiracy to deprive a citizen of rights, as is also addressed in this process.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[size="-1"]Link to all numbers at MSP including Training Dept. & IA Dept.
I would start at top and work way down:

[/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="+1"]Col. Peter C. Munoz, Director, Michigan State Police[/size][/font] [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Contact:[/size][/font] [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Shanon Akans, Public Affairs, (517) 336-6364[/size][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Then Dist #3 Commander:[/size][/font]
Third District Headquarters
411- B East Genesee Avenue
Saginaw, Michigan 48607
Information------------------------------------------------------------ (989) 758-1760
Fax---------------- (989) 771-2277
District Commander, Capt. Daniel Miller
District Secretary, Ms. Kathy Coleman------------------------ (989) 758-1661

Then Flint post Commander:

Flint Post # 35
G-4481 Corunna Road
Flint, Michigan 48532
Post Commander, F/Lt. Richard Arnold

Information------------------------------------------------- (810) 732-1111

Fax--------------- (810) 732-5306
[size="-1"]
www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_External_Telephone_Directory_320949_7.pdf

Last but not least call a lawyer, you tried to warn him! He violated your civil rights now he should be held accountable!
[/size]

steve

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
This sort of nonsense will only continue until officers such as this suffer a financial loss big enough to discourage others from such rights violations.

We had this talk on teamspeak, I agree that without dragging these people through the mud and setting examples stuff like this will continue to happen.

I also understand, like we talked about, financial situations have a huge impact on what can and can't be done. I hope you at least take this to his higher ups.

Kudos on how you handled the situations, and brought attention to him and yourself as he tried to erase the evidence..

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After the 15+ 1 dumb ass comment he tries to get tricky with the " I imagine putting it on your hip is a lot easier for the transport thing just take away the ammo " So he's trying to tell you you can't carry loaded in the car even with your CPL? Wow this guy really, really needs to take a refresher course in EVERYTHING related to pistol law! Let's make sure that happens! When you can please post his name & badge number, and the complaint number he opened up via dispatch, as I would like send letters about his lack of training to all those in change at MSP HQ.

Good job not telling this joker to piss up a rope!:cuss:

lapeer20m

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
After the 15+ 1 dumb ass comment he tries to get tricky with the " I imagine putting it on your hip is a lot easier for the transport thing just take away the ammo "
I think he made the 15+1 comment just to see if he could get a rise out of me. It was a silly comment that really was not related to my illegal detainment. Also, I think the comment about taking away the ammo was related to proper transport without cpl....we were changing gears fast.

M

McX

imported post

jeeez! i thought things were alot better in michigan, then i read this thread, and listened to the audio. :cuss::banghead::uhoh::shock:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

McX wrote:
jeeez! i thought things were alot better in michigan, then i read this thread, and listened to the audio. :cuss::banghead::uhoh::shock:
In general things are MUCH better in Michigan but that doesn't mean we're done with our work. There's still much to do. It takes time.

M

McX

imported post

well doug, the problem is obvious! all those damn felons walking around with guns on their hips are making you guys look bad!

yak..choke! i couldn't get that one without choking on it!

detroit_fan

imported post

Great job staying so calm and gettingthe recording. I really hope you pursue this to the higher ups, thiscan not be tolerated, but especially not by MSP. If these guys continue to get away with this crapwe will continue to have these problems imo.

lapeer20m

imported post

I don't know what the best course of action is.

I do plan to foia the incident. I am not sure where to go to fioa a msp stop, but i will start at the local flint post. I also want to foia the dispatch information including the original phone call...however that call may have been made on a non-recorded line since it was an off duty leo who phoned it in. (at least that's who we think made the call.) who dispatched the genesee county msp? I assume the county dispatch, but it could be flint city, or??? i just don't know.

I don't know who to contact about the officers actions. I also don't know nor wish to discuss in an open forum exactly what my plans are for dealing with the incident.