• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mi State Trooper Illegally Detains Man For Open Carry

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
2) The MI SCourt has never said that "anytime an officer "requests" or "demands" ID, it amounts to a Terry Stop, which requires RAS as a prerequisite. In other words, BEFORE an officer can ask for Identification, he must already have Reasonable, Articulable Suspicion that a crime either Has been committed, Is about to be committed, or IS BEING committed."
A police officer can ask anything he/she wants, what they GET depends on the situation. If I am not being "detained" (RAS present), then I can go merrily on my way... I have an "urgent appointment", btw. If, however, I am being "detained", then RAS needs to be present... they DO NOT need to tell me what RAS is, though.
In order to follow the rules regarding the need to cite my source, I'll just limit it to Terry v Ohio (Justice White's concurring opinion in Terry v. Ohio, 392(1), (1968)).... here:

"There is nothing in the Constitution which prevents a policeman from addressing questions to anyone on the streets. Absent special circumstances, the person approached may not be detained or frisked but may refuse to cooperate and go on his way. However, given the proper circumstances, such as those in this case, it seems to me the person may be briefly detained against his will while pertinent questions are directed to him. Of course, the person stopped is not obliged to answer, answers may not be compelled, and refusal to answer furnishes no basis for an arrest, although it may alert the officer to the need for continued observation." (392 U.S. 1, at 34).

Citizen addressed #1, sorry I wasn't more clear.

Regarding #2, Have you read that case? It's not a MI Supreme court case, it's an appeals court case, which still holds as precedent in Michigan.

It took into account for Terry, the SCOTUS decision, and fundamentally changed it for Michigan. The way I read that case, anytime an officer requests ID, the stop turns into a Terry Stop. The officer must have had RAS prior to asking for ID, or else by the doctrine of "Fruit of the poisonous tree," every bit of information acquired after that request is inadmissible in a courtroom.
Well, actually I did read People v. Freeman but then I read People v Shankle, (1998) which states: (sorry I couldn't indent the whole section which follows)

[align=JUSTIFY] In Freeman, supra at 493-494, the defendant was sitting in his car in a private parking lot near a darkened house. The motor was running, the parking lights were on and it was late at night. Two officers approached the defendant and “asked” him to exit his car and to produce identification and registration. The Supreme Court ruled that defendant had been seized “when the officers asked him to leave his automobile and to produce identification,” noting specifically that one of the officers testified that defendant was not free to go “until I found out who he was and why he was parked there.” Id. at 494-495 & n 3 (emphasis supplied). Because the circumstances did not provide a sufficient basis for a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity to support an investigatory stop, the stop was unwarranted. Id. at 496-497.[/align] [align=JUSTIFY] We believe that the difficulty in this case relates to the sometimes ambiguous use of the term “asked.” While this term is often used to signify a request for voluntary action, it is many times used to refer to a polite instruction to perform a mandatory action. In Freeman, there was apparently no argument about whether the defendant complied with a voluntary request or was effectively ordered or required by the police to exit his car and produce identification. The prosecution in Freeman argued rather that there was sufficient basis to support the officers’ suspicion in that case that criminal activity might be afoot. Freeman, supra at 495. It was already well established at the time of the Freeman decision that a person could waive the protection against unreasonable searches and seizures by consenting to a search. See, e.g. People v Rosales, 406 Mich 624, 629; 281 NW2d 126 (1979) (further search after a Terry protective search requires consent or probable cause).[/align] [align=JUSTIFY]Against this background, it would have made no sense for the Freeman Court to have concluded that a request for consensual production of an item constituted a “search” or “seizure” requiring objective justification. In context, we believe that the references by the Freeman Court to the officers in that case having “asked” the defendant to produce identification and exit his car reflected mandatory directions, not requests for voluntary action. Thus, Freeman, properly understood, does not require a holding that reasonable suspicion is necessary for a police officer to ask a person to voluntarily produce identification.
[/align][align=JUSTIFY]I hope this helps in understanding why I believe that a LEO simply "asking" for a voluntary action is not dependent on RAS... but I may be wrong:shock:;)
[/align][align=JUSTIFY]
[/align]

lapeer20m

imported post

I tend to agree with Dr Todd.

Received a letter from msp today: (i retyped the text, rather than scanning, uploading, hosting)

[align=center]
NOTICE OF EXTENSION
[/align]
In order to determine whether the department possesses existing, non-exempt public records responsive to your request, we are extending the time for responding to your request by ten business days, as permitted under MCL 15.235, section 5(2)(d). Therefore, a written notice will be issued to you on or before 6/10/2010

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lapeer20m wrote:

Received a letter from msp today: (i retyped the text, rather than scanning, uploading, hosting)

[align=center]
NOTICE OF EXTENSION
[/align]
In order to determine whether the department possesses existing, non-exempt public records responsive to your request, we are extending the time for responding to your request by ten business days, as permitted under MCL 15.235, section 5(2)(d). Therefore, a written notice will be issued to you on or before 6/10/2010
They are stalling for time hoping you just drop it. There is no way they cannot give you this material since it is about YOU! PERIOD! If they refuse, I suggest you press the issue to the District court. They will no doubt find MSP in violation and impose a fine on them & order the material released to you. Sometimes officials in charge feel it's worth the fine to keep it out of the media for as long as possible. They figure the more time passed the lesser chances are of the story getting any coverage in the media, for that is what they truly fear, looking like the dumb asses they are from time to time.

taxwhat

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:

[align=center]
NOTICE OF EXTENSION
[/align]
They are stalling for time hoping you just drop it. There is no way they cannot give you this material since it is about YOU! PERIOD! If they refuse, I suggest you press the issue to the District court. They will no doubt find MSP in violation and impose a fine on them & order the material released to you. Sometimes officials in charge feel it's worth the fine to keep it out of the media for as long as possible. They figure the more time passed the lesser chances are of the story getting any coverage in the media, for that is what they truly fear, looking like the dumb asses they are from time to time.
FOIAct are filed in Circuit Court .

KBCraig

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
I had a conversation with the old guy about an hour before he called 911. It is painful to listen too because we were in the middle of an auction, but here are the transcripts.

Him: 99% of people don’t carry guns and they think gun people are crazy
After listening to him on the 911 tape, I'd say they're right... at least about him.

Him: There is no use going to jail for 3 or 4 days just to prove [inaudible for another several seconds] local cops might not do @#$%, but state cops would!

So, to educate you and protect you from the state cops arresting you, he... calls the state police and tries to have you arrested?

Sounds like the prosecutors who insist they have to protect teens from destroying their futures by using drugs or sexting racy phone pics, so they destroy their futures by prosecuting them for using drugs or sexting racy phone pics.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

taxwhat is correct:

FOIA Act VIOLATION complaints are filed in Circuit Court .

I have dealt with many a FOIA request & stall tactics used to delay them. You will get this info if you keep pushing for it.

Best of luck to you.

P.S. Did you get the whole chain of command involved? IE State Police top officials? If you are just talking to the local post this trooper is stationed at you can bet they are playing CYA!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[size="-1"]Link to all numbers at MSP including Training Dept. & IA Dept.
I would start at top and work way down:

[/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="+1"]Col. Peter C. Munoz, Director, Michigan State Police[/size][/font] [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Contact:[/size][/font] [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Shanon Akans, Public Affairs, (517) 336-6364[/size][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Then Dist #3 Commander:[/size][/font]
Third District Headquarters
411- B East Genesee Avenue
Saginaw, Michigan 48607
Information------------------------------------------------------------ (989) 758-1760
Fax---------------- (989) 771-2277
District Commander, Capt. Daniel Miller
District Secretary, Ms. Kathy Coleman------------------------ (989) 758-1661

Then Flint post Commander:

Flint Post # 35
G-4481 Corunna Road
Flint, Michigan 48532
Post Commander, F/Lt. Richard Arnold

Information------------------------------------------------- (810) 732-1111

Fax--------------- (810) 732-5306
[size="-1"]
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_External_Telephone_Directory_320949_7.pdf[/size]

lapeer20m

imported post

I filed the foia request with lansing. They have an actual foia department.

I have not filed any complaints or pursued any other options so far. I want to wait till i have all my ducks in a row including the police report and dashcam before taking the next step.

I have filed foia requests with other organizations and they have always complied (at least mostly.) I have faith that msp will also follow through with the request. If not, then i will go to the next step in the process. I have a lot of free time, i only work 9 days/month.

taxwhat

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
I filed the foia request with lansing. They have an actual foia department.

I have not filed any complaints or pursued any other options so far. I want to wait till i have all my ducks in a row including the police report and dashcam before taking the next step.

I have filed foia requests with other organizations and they have always complied (at least mostly.) I have faith that msp will also follow through with the request. If not, then i will go to the next step in the process. I have a lot of free time, i only work 9 days/month.
As one MAY Know ;Unit of Government .....Not Required to KEEP any records or Document .......Unless FOIAct or.....Other .

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
received my foia letter from msp today.
DENIED!

"...the public records do not exist whithin the Department."

"The report you have requested has not yet been completed and filed. Please resubmit your request in 30 days"
Lapeer20m

Can you post the FOIA request minus any personal info? It sounds like they are playing word games. This often hangs up folks new to writing FOIA requests. Myself and I suspect taxwhat would be happy to help you.

Phssthpok

imported post

Regarding the whole "...your not being detained because you're carrying a gun, you're detained so I can determine if you're a felon..." bit, I quote from the SCOTUS ruling in Hiible:

Hiibel’s contention that his conviction violates the Fifth Amendment’s prohibition on self-incrimination fails because disclosure of his name and identity presented no reasonable danger of incrimination. The Fifth Amendment prohibits only compelled testimony that is incriminating, see Brown v. Walker, 161 U.S. 591, 598, and protects only against disclosures that the witness reasonably believes could be used in a criminal prosecution or could lead to other evidence that might be so used, Kastigar v. United States, 406 U.S. 441, 445.

Phssthpok

imported post

(Continued from above post...stupid forum software format foibles)

Which means that even if he were a felon in possession, being FORCED to provide the ID which would establish that fact would violate the fifth, and poison ALL of the evidence, not only freeing him from prosecution but also opening the officer to criminal violation of Title 18, sec.242 USC, Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law.

Yooper

imported post

Should have asked him if he stops and ID's everyone who is walking with a child, you know, just to make sure they are not a convicted child molester with a no contact order with anyone under 18

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Should have asked him if he stops and ID's everyone who is walking with a child, you know, just to make sure they are not a convicted child molester with a no contact order with anyone under 18
Priceless!