• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More violence, as usual...

GWbiker

imported post

About a half dozen people were shot-killed a couple of weeks ago in that $hit-hole.

BUT Americans in El Paso are safe, 'cause....

sarcasm alert/

NAPPY sez the Border is secure!

/sarcasm.

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

GWbiker,

I believe it's over...wake up and smell the Kahlua. :(

I lived in El Paso for 44 years, but every year, it was more and more like living in Mexico. 'White Flight' has been going on since the end of the 1960s, from what I can gather. One year, we had no July 4th celebration, but we ALWAYS had Cinqo de Mayo celebrations. Always. And if you drive around El Paso, you can see Mexican flags flying from people's homes rather than American (yes, there ARE lots of American flags, sometimes, but I resent the Mexican flags). That's a disgrace...no one tell me about 'citizenship' and that 'they have papers to prove it.' They're Mexicans frst, American if it's convenient.And it's not about race, it's aboutbehavior. They don't want to assimilate but rather make America into Mexico. And they're succeeding.

Imagine a bunch of Americans trying to do that loudmouth/in-your-face BS in Mexico, protesting in the streets and such. They'd get booted out of the country (if they weren't killed in riots) -- Mexico wouldn't put up with foreignersdemanding ANYthing.

I told visitors from America (!) 25-something years ago how the Border area was contributing to the foreignization of America -- and it'd eventually get to THEIR neck of the woodsfurther North --but people in the US away from the Border were cluless of what was (is) going on. Or in denial.

But I must say it sure was 'convenient' for all the Mexicophilesthere: You didn't have to go to the OTHER side of the Border (Juarez, Mexico) to see Mexico, you were already in it on THIS side (El Paso, USA?)...and it ain't going to get any better.

The Reconquista continues...

-- John D.

P.S. I know the police chief of El Paso...but I don't know what he can do about it, or be allowed to do. IIRC, El Paso mainly votes overhwlemingly Democrat, asdo most Hispanic populations wherever they are. Not as bad as Yellow Dog Democrat black populations voting Democrat, but a close 2nd.

Mr H

imported post

I have a dear friend, who is looking to retire to Phoenix or LasCruces or ?? in the next 3 years.

IMO, he's in for a rude awakening, considering he's looking at it from a purely economical perspective.

He and his lady will be visiting out there this September... I think I'll wait until I hear his impressions before I tell him he's nucking futs.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Sorry to all for being OT here...my last OT words here in this thread, I promise!

Mr H,

I hope he speaks Spanish! In El Paso (ELP), 'reverse discrimination' is bad enough to experience, but if you (or your kids) don't speak Spanishyou have no future there...and that's not in some small town, we're talking almost a million people there in ELP. Although lots of employment ads in the newspaper say 'bilingual preferred,' that's not quite true as you don't need to speak English to get a job or career going, but youDO need to speak Spanish or you'll have neither. Las Cruces is only 50 miles up North from ELP and not as bad, but still, it's not America. Or maybe it is, of the America tocome. Whatever, speaking Spanish is also highly recommended in Las Cruces.

Good luck to him...

-- John D.

P.SIf he has not already, tell your friend togo to http://www.city-data.com/forum/ and check out posts (questions and responses) in the 'New Mexico' threads (scroll down to find it), and read of people wanting to move there like your friend. Be advised, however, CityData CENSORS input and telling the truth of a place (like I have done here re: El Paso) if it's deemed 'negative' is deleted...the Mods (and Admin guy) only want to hear the good/positive things, not the bad/negative (don't ask how I know this). Consequently, you will only get half the picture of a place -- NOT good. Still, your friend will find the CityData website's Forum (and others like Epodunk and Sperling's Best Places, but IIRC, these 2 have no Forum) -- informative...just try to sort out the facts accordingly, knowing their censorship bias. For people wanting to relocate, these sites are a must-include intheir research. BTW, ALL states are represented, not just NM.

Again, sorry for being OT (non-gun related)...just don't want your friend to make any huge UNeducated relocation mistakes. Get all the factsone can.

But hey, at least NM not only has CC, but OC, too! TX doesn't. :(

-- JD

groats

imported post

I have a good friend, here legally from Mexico.

A few years ago, he would take his wife and kids back to visit the grandparents.

Now he won't even go himself - "too dangerous" he says.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In honor of these fine statements, I've been watching The Alamo, starring John Wayne. It's 2:41 long, but well worth it. Lot's of very fine perceptions and gallantry on both sides of the war.

I was born in New Mexico, spent a few years in Italy, Germany, and S. Korea, and have worked in more than 30 countries. And yes, I've been to Juarez, back when it was a good bit safer than it is today. I care little for racism, other than to despise it.

But I do care for patriotism. I take no issue with legal immigrants remembering their heritage, but I take grave issue with either legal or illegal immigrants who denounce our country, the one into which they have moved and are now living, or try to remake it in their own image.

We live in a great country, but it will only remain great if it remains the United States of America, rather than some annex of another nation.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

More off topic...

What good does it do even to try to learn Spanish when the Mexicans don't understand it! I was helping a customer the other day and, after she indicated Español on the signature pad asked her, in Spanish, if she had any questions about her medicine. After staring blankly at me I said "Do you have any questions?" and she said "No". I was so mad that I made a comment to the next customer and she said "I understood you just fine and I haven't had Spanish in years."

The problem isn't that they're Mexican, it's that they're uneducated. Better education reduces violence in proportion that OC just can't match. Problem is politicians want us all stupid and disarmed. :banghead:

ETA: I just lol'd thinking about that scene from Pulp Fiction translated into Spanish.

"Lo 'Qúe' no es un país que estoy conocer. ¿Hablan español en 'Qúe'?"
"¿Qúe?"
"íEspañol, &^%#! ¿Lo hablas?"

crisisweasel

imported post

I've been to El Paso four times. My company has an office there.

In each case, almost everyone I encountered both at work, and outside of it, were ethnically Mexican, and bilingual.

And the friendliest people I ever worked with. It was prom night when I was there last, and there was a lot of picture taking up there on Scenic Drive (recommend this by the way - stunning view of El Paso and Juarez). The kids were all dressed up.

I was waiting to ascend the stairs back to the parking lot, but they were blocked for awhile by a father taking pictures of his daughters and all of her friends. He spoke in Spanish to them the whole time.

When he finished, he only then noticed I was waiting to use the stairs. No big deal; I wasn't in a big rush.

He apologized profusely and then rhapsodized to me about what a beautiful night it was and how much he loved life.

I don't normally work with the people in the El Paso office so I don't really know anyone there. I was sitting in the lunch room, eating my lunch, watching television.

I'm management and most of the people there are union, and most are, as I said earlier, of Mexican (or Latin American) extraction. We do bilingual work in the building.

One of the union people from another table came over to me, said hello, and asked if I would join them, because I looked all alone there eating lunch by myself.

This is my El Paso.

And I have no problems with it. Mexican culture, as far as I've experienced it both traveling in Mexico, living outside of Tucson, and driving all around the southwest, is that it is far less incompatible with American culture than those who have a problem with it seem to indicate.

A lot of cute women. Emphasis on family and friendship. Great food. I'm a little iffy on the music.

No problems. It must be like when the Italians and Irish immigrated to the northeast and made New York and Boston what they are today.

I just don't get this "invasion" mentality and I've been in the thick of it for 11 years now.

Most people I have encountered who speak Spanish also speak English just fine, drifting in and out of the language as necessary, sometimes mid-sentence when talking to each other.

I have no problem with Mexicans, Mexican Americans, or immigrants. They deserve better than the government they live under.

I could say the same, for all of us.

I am sad that I can't drive down to Puerto Penasco anymore because I always have a great time down there. Last time I was there, the power kept dying because the generator kept kicking off. The poor guy tasked with maintaining the facility kept trying to get it to go back on. He was there for hours. He spoke no English but somehow we could figure out "try it now."

One thing he did understand was beer. Because it was hot.

Even with the language barrier, you get by.

Because people are people. And the drug gangs no more define Mexico than LA gangs define America.

eye95

imported post

The "invasion" refers to people breaking the law when they enter the country or when they stay. It refers to to the large numbers of people breaking the law. Millions of them.

I have no problem with immigration from any nation on Earth--as long as it is legal.

M

McX

imported post

i hear it's getting so bad the foreigners are going home. it's a bad sign when apu goes back home!:shock: