• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

? about G17 magazine fit

MKEgal

imported post

Apologies if anyone thinks this is off-topic a bit, but I don't see any forum that fits any better.

Irecently got a new-to-me G17 (I'm in lust!) and one of the magazines that came with it fits while
the other doesn't. Problem is, it's the 10-rd that fits, and the 17-rd that sticks, both going in &
coming out. I have to pull on it to get it out, it won't just drop like the other one. :banghead:

Has anyoneheard of this before, or experienced it?
Do you know how to fix it, or could you point me somewhere / to someone who might know?
I've even tried sanding both sides of the magazine, and it helped a little, but not nearly enough.

younggun20

imported post

Deadman514 wrote:
The 17 round is probably one of the old style -made to not drop free for tactical reloads.
+1 Non drop frees were designed to bulge just a hair so they would not fall out while loaded. thats how I understand it

Non drop free-what the 17 nd should look like
NDF_feedlips.jpg

2nd gen drop free
DF_2nd_gen_lips.jpg

3rd Gen Drop Free
DF_3rd_gen_lips.jpg

MKEgal

imported post

So this is a design _feature_...? Ick. :?
We did put calipers on it and figured out that it bulged when loaded, but thought it
was a flaw.

At least now I know what to look for when I go to the store for a new magazine.
Thanks for the explanation (& pictures!!), younggun. :)
And oldkim, thanks for pointing me to glocktalk.com

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

The G17 was my introduction to the plastic-fantastic. I think I actually prefer the non-drop free magazines. Even today I ensure magazines drop free with a quick pull before going for a fresh magazine.

open4years

imported post

The earlier Glocks came with magazines that didn't drop free. Sounds like you have one of those magazines. It will still do the job and if you carry that mag. as your last extra mag., it won't matter!

jay75009

imported post

i agree with the above. my early 90's 1st gen 17 you have to yank the mag free when its empty nevermind loaded. but if you go to your local gunshop you can pick up used drop free mags for $15-$20 a piece. and hey if ya ever get a G19 , the 17 mags fit it :-D haha always good to have extra mags right