• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident visiting WA, no concealed permit, is loaded open carry OK?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
I don't think it can be inserted into the well at all.
RCW 9.41.010:
(9) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the
firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in
place
in the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the
firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine
that is inserted
in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm
is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle
loader.

Technically, the magazine ("clip") can be inserted into the firearm, it just can't be locked in place.
Nope.

tonyoverthere

imported post

Just carry Israeli style nothing in the chamber and discreetly insert/remover magazine after exiting or before entering a vehicle. Watch out you might not want to go back to Cali.

This is probably what I will do. My holster has a mag pouch on it so before I get in the car, Ill just remove the mag and put it in the pouch. Then when I get out of the car, I can just slide the mag back into the gun and go about my merry way. Im already itching for a way out of Cali. This just adds another reason to the list.

Do store owners have the right to ask me to leave or put my gun in the car?

Does the state consider a public ferry to be a vehicle in which I must unload while on board (such as whendriving a car)?

I ask these 2 questions because if I go into Seattle for the day, I will have to park my car in Bremerton, then walk onto the ferry to get to Seattle. Plus if Im on foot all day in Seattle, and a store owner asks me to leave or put my gun in the car, I wont have that option since my car is in Bremerton.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tonyoverthere wrote:
Just carry Israeli style nothing in the chamber and discreetly insert/remover magazine after exiting or before entering a vehicle. Watch out you might not want to go back to Cali.

This is probably what I will do. My holster has a mag pouch on it so before I get in the car, Ill just remove the mag and put it in the pouch. Then when I get out of the car, I can just slide the mag back into the gun and go about my merry way. Im already itching for a way out of Cali. This just adds another reason to the list.

Do store owners have the right to ask me to leave or put my gun in the car? Yes, a private business may ask you to leave.

Does the state consider a public ferry to be a vehicle in which I must unload while on board (such as whendriving a car)? Our public ferry system/buses are part of the public highway, you must carry unloaded unless you have a CPL.

I ask these 2 questions because if I go into Seattle for the day, I will have to park my car in Bremerton, then walk onto the ferry to get to Seattle. Plus if Im on foot all day in Seattle, and a store owner asks me to leave or put my gun in the car, I wont have that option since my car is in Bremerton.

tonyoverthere

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
tonyoverthere wrote:

Do store owners have the right to ask me to leave or put my gun in the car? Yes, a private business may ask you to leave.

Does the state consider a public ferry to be a vehicle in which I must unload while on board (such as whendriving a car)? Our public ferry system/buses are part of the public highway, you must carry unloaded unless you have a CPL.

Ok, so loaded open carry anywhere I want, except for federal buildings and schools. Before I get into a car or board the public ferry, remove mag from gun and put in mag pouch on holster. Put mag back into gun when exiting car or ferry. If a private business asks me to leave, I will oblige.

Thanks for the help guys!

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

RCW 9.41.010:
(9) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the
firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in aclip that is locked in placein the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the
firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine
that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm
is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle
loader.

The RCW was written in a way to cover a full gambit of loaded situations for an assortment of guns.

(b) Clip =

(d) Magazine =
main1.png

(d) inserted in the action= Inserted in the action! Nothing about this mentions anything about locking or not locking the mag in place. Keep the loaded mag out of the gun.

tonyoverthere

imported post

In my situation, loaded open carry without a concealed permit, do I need to worry about being outside of 1000' from a school or does WA only require that I stay off the school property itself?

Ibelieve the 1000' school zonelaw is a Fedral issue but some states dont follow it and only require we stay off the actual school property itself.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tonyoverthere wrote:
In my situation, loaded open carry without a concealed permit, do I need to worry about being outside of 1000' from a school or does WA only require that I stay off the school property itself?

Ibelieve the 1000' school zonelaw is a Fedral issue but some states dont follow it and only require we stay off the actual school property itself.

Washington has no 1000' foot rule.

To my knowledge no one has ever been charged with violating the Federal (unconstitutional) 1000' foot rule. IMO it is a non issue as long as you stay off school property.

RCW 9.41.280
[/b](1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;

<snip>

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or

<snip>

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

(7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.

FmrTSgt

imported post

I have a related question.....how are the hotels in Seattle with OC?

Are they overly scared and am I gonna have to remove my holster and gun when I leave/return to the hotel? IIRC I'll be at an embassy suites near airport.

FmrTSgt

imported post

That is good to know :).....I'll be staying at the SeaTac Embassy Suites.