• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sporting shooters at risk atCommonwealth Games

Haz.

imported post

Tight gun control means nothing when"some idiot canpull up next to the team bus and blow themselves up". Australian Olympic and Commonwealth shooters are in danger and conserned for their lives.
Haz.

A flying visit to the Delhi Commonwealth Games for Aussie shooters

018067-russell-mark.jpg

Safety concerns ... Olympic gold medallist Russell Mark / Pic: Alex Coppel Source: The Daily Telegraph

SECURITY concerns at the Delhi Commonwealth Games have led Australia's gold medal-winning shooters to request they stay outside the Athletes Village and "fly-in, fly-out" to their events.

The frank admission by Olympic gold medallist Russell Mark comes just days after the latest warning about security and terrorist attack fears at the Games in October.

He has predicted that one more incident in India would result in the Games being cancelled or relocated.

Mark, a veteran of 10 Olympic and Commonwealth Games, told The Daily Telegraph he had discussed fears with fellow shooters and, despite tight security at a recent test event, the shooters would feel safer at a hotel closer to the shooting venues to avoid the risk of "some idiot pulling up next to the team bus and blowing themselves up".

One venue, the CRPF Campus at Kadarpur, is 60km from the Athletes Village, while the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range is 21km away.

Mark said the shooting team was also contemplating missing the Opening and Closing Ceremonies to avoid unnecessary risk.

"We have asked if we can stay in the hotel where we stayed during the test event [in March]," he said.

"It was very safe, very secure, very close to the shooting range. The Athletes Village will be at least an hour away. If you are going to get into trouble, that's where it will happen, out in the open travelling to the event. You would have to be worried about some idiot pulling up next to the team bus and blowing themselves up.

"That's the risk, blowing themselves up at the gates to the venue."

There is growing concern among Australia's Commonwealth team about security at the event, despite assurances by organisers the security for athletes will be adequate.

"If I don't need to be at the Opening Ceremony, I won't - why take the risk?" Mark said.

Australian Games organisers discuss security with their Indian counterparts each fortnight, although Australian Commonwealth Games Association head Perry Crosswhite said the latest warning was yet to be discussed.

He said he remained satisfied about preparations for the athletes' arrival but warned that "tourists obviously have to be careful".

Olympic swimmer Eamon Sullivan acknowledged safety was an issue and could understand some might contemplate not marching at the Opening or Closing Ceremonies.

"It is a shame that it has come to this but I think people's safety should be the first priority," he said.

Dreamer

imported post

Perhaps all the Shooting Teams at the Olympics should be allowed to Open Carry their sporting arms while at the Games.

I bet THAT would give any "terrorists" pause to mess with them... ;)

Old Grump

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Perhaps all the Shooting Teams at the Olympics should be allowed to Open Carry their sporting arms while at the Games.

Make that all the competitors and spectators who are comfortable with and competent to carry and properly use firearms. Now that would be a safe venue. Open or concealed, it wouldn't make a bit of difference if all the boogermen were in fear that every other 3rd or 4th adult around them were armed and able to stop them in their tracks.

Haz.

imported post

Old Grump wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Make that all the competitors and spectators who are comfortable with and competent to carry and properly use firearms. Now that would be a safe venue. Open or concealed, it wouldn't make a bit of difference if all the boogermen were in fear that every other 3rd or 4th adult around them were armed and able to stop them in their tracks.

Too right mate,

Haz.