Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bad OC experience, at a bank none the less

Post imported post

After work today I went to my usual bank to deposit my paycheck, have been with this bank for the last 4+ years and OC weekly into one of their branches to put in my check. As I was talking to my teller completeing my deposit the assistant bank manager walked over to me and told me "Did you know that it's a federal offense to have a firearm in a bank?" I replied that no it was'nt a federal offense and also was not a state law, but that being a private entity they could make the decission that firearms were or were not allowed in the bank and if they did'nt want to allow them then I would be more than happy to close my account. He seemed really surprised that I responded that way but seemed genuinely happy to figure out what the rules were. I asked him if he could provide me in writing with the company policy that stated that firearms were not allowed and he called around but could'nt provide me with it. He did try and rationalize that wearing a gun in a bank was akin to wearing a ski mask, but I explained to him that I carry around large sums of money and that of anywhere I go banks are one of the more likely places I am to be when a robbery occurs because banks get robbed all the time. Ended up he is going to call their security manager or something and see what he can get in writing. Withholding the name of the bank till It's either confirmed or denied as to what they say. No signs present that state no firearms also.

ETA.

OK so I talked to the manager at the bank today after work, then was prompted to talk to their local security expert who is in charge of their local Security and got a lot more info.

First the bank was CHASE bank, will be adding this post to the First post when I get done.

Second the assistant manager who told me that he was told by the store manager was refering to the manager of the grocery store that the branch is located in, not the manager of the branch. So I ended up talking to the manager of the branch today, It was a rather frustrating call she said she understood the law and that since washington state issued concealed carry permits that she felt that I should conceal my pistol when in the bank. I told her that legally she could tell me that I could'nt carry in the branch and if I did'nt comply then they could have me arrested for trespassing and asked her if that was what would happen if I continued to carry as I have for the last 4 years. She just repeated what she had already said instead of answering me, I then explained to her that I felt that openly carrying a firearm was preventative and would lower the odds of me actually needing to use it, she then said the same thing AGAIN, and offered to have their security expert call me, I think I surprised her when I said OK!

Third About 2 hours later the local security expert gave me a call, conversation with him went much better. He started out telling me that chase chooses to follow washington state law and since washington state allows open carry that they are perfectly fine with open carry in their branches, and furthermore he has informed the employees at all the branches that it is perfectly legal to open carry and to help anyone OCing out and to tell them to have a nice day. He did say that they of course would'nt want someone OCing to be resting their hands on the butt of the gun, etc.

T

Banned

Post imported post

He should apologize for the B.S. "Federal Offense" statement.

Post imported post

Mo wrote:
    He should apologize for the B.S. "Federal Offense" statement.
    Someone probably told him.

Post imported post

You should NOT withhold the banks name. Most likely someone here already knows their corporate policy.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    You should NOT withhold the banks name. Most likely someone here already knows their corporate policy.
    According to my google-fu they are anti-gun in their lending practices but could'nt find anythng regarding carrying.

T

Post imported post

Kolat wrote:
    simmonsjoe wrote:
    According to my google-fu they are anti-gun in their lending practices ...
    ???

How are they anti-gun in lending practices?

I agree, there is no need to withhold the bank name. Whatever you reported...actually happened in said bank.

Post imported post

Perhaps I missed it. What state are you in?

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Perhaps I missed it. What state are you in?
    crap, thought that was in my profile, WA state.

Banned

Post imported post

Kolat wrote:
    simmonsjoe wrote:
    According to my google-fu they are anti-gun in their lending practices but could'nt find anythng regarding carrying.

T
    Sounds like Chase.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Kolat wrote:
    simmonsjoe wrote:

T
    Sounds like Chase.
    X2!

But, Chase is one of the few banks that has actually paid off their billions of dollars in debt from bailout funds from 2008. They had it paid in less than 1 years time. Most other banks have not paid a dime back yet.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

If I had the chance to take a loan I didn't need, invest the money at a higher return, and then pay it back before people started complaining about it, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

WA here too. And no, it is not a federal offense, and your correct, no state law. Correct too they can ask you to leave. I think you handled the situation very well, sounds like you forced him to re-think and do some homework, and hopefully he gets a learning. I would be curious what bank/branch location it was in too. I OC alot in my area, Stores etc. and haven't received any issues, though i admit to being shy regarding banks, and still tend to cover up in them :P - working on the bravery index there.

Bat.

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    X2!

But, Chase is one of the few banks that has actually paid off their billions of dollars in debt from bailout funds from 2008. They had it paid in less than 1 years time. Most other banks have not paid a dime back yet.
    I haven't researched the entire issue, but some I trust have pointed out that Chase did not, in fact, repay the entire amount but rather a part of it, and did it with borrowed funds.

Not saying this to help or hurt anyone or anything, just reminding us that a full-page ad in a newspaper saying "ain't we great" is not enough for me.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Im in Washington and have carried into several Banks with no issues. Matter of fact a few of the tellers thought it should be reasonable they have a gun behind the counter after all they are on the frontline of a Robbery.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Why do people always want to "withhold the name" of place that bans guns of give people a hard time? Are they afraid? Remember the truth is an absolute defense.

I am not afraid to say that Fry's Electronics in Phoenix Arizona is ant 2nd Amendment and that they have no security there so if something were to go down in there you have a good chance of ending up dead.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Banned

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:
    X2!

I haven't researched the entire issue, but some I trust have pointed out that Chase did not, in fact, repay the entire amount but rather a part of it, and did it with borrowed funds.

Not saying this to help or hurt anyone or anything, just reminding us that a full-page ad in a newspaper saying "ain't we great" is not enough for me.
    That sounds a lot like what GM did. Kinda like taking a cash advance on your Visa, paying off your MasterCard, and claiming that you got yourself outta debt.

Post imported post

I'm part of the a state employees credit union. I normally just operate the ATM, but the few times I do go in, I OC. I haven't had an issue yet. Last time I carried in the bank, I had to redo my ID card because I lost it. Just about every face to face encounter I had, they all looked at my hip, saw my gun, and kept on going without changing a beat.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Post imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
    Why do people always want to "withhold the name" of place that bans guns of give people a hard time?
    I think it is some kind ofattempted forum political correctness/scared of legal repercussions effect. It's very weird.

They don't always do it, of course. It's in the minority, actually.

Phoenix David wrote:
    I am not afraid to say that [ redacted ] in [ redacted ] is ant 2nd Amendment and that they have no security there so if something were to go down in there you have a good chance of ending up dead.
    Careful, careful...

Banned

Post imported post

Or, maybe he just doesn't want to make trouble for a whole bank when the problem might be just one errant manager.

How about we give this situation a chance to play out before we start implying that the OP is some kind of rhetorical coward.

Post imported post

"It's a Federal offense, and it's illegal."

Serious face. "Please show or quote to me the relevant Federal or State Code."

(Deer in the headlights look. Crickets chirping...)

Smiling. "Are you going to have an FBI Agent, U.S. Marshall, or Police Officer come and arrest me? I can assure you that I am not breaking any law. You might want to check with your legal counsel before proceeding."

BLAH BLAH the usual stuff...

I love to call people out when they go over the edge and don't have a lifeline.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Banned

Post imported post

I think I'd rather treat them respectfully, hoping that they'd come to accept OC. I'd worry that my having bested them would leave a bitter taste in their mouths for OC.

OC needs friends, not conquered enemies.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Or, maybe he just doesn't want to make trouble for a whole bank when the problem might be just one errant manager.

How about we give this situation a chance to play out before we start implying that the OP is some kind of rhetorical coward.
    Correct, I don't see the point in people having a kneejerk reaction before the fat lady sings.

If the manager had'nt seemed to genuinely want to get more info then I'd be more than happy to call them out, but as it stands it was a bad experience but was not blown out of proportion and I dd'nt get handcuffed or anything.

T

McX

Post imported post

i read the title, and dropped by, read the 1st post, and thought to comment; you notice how time and time again, cops starting naming off lame ass stuff, like they're going down a list of poo, and seeing how you'll respond to it? i can nail you for not rotating your ties today................respond?..................... ....

Post imported post

Don't expect Bankers to know anything about gun laws.
    Most of these guys BS and act like they know what they are doing. Cause they are in charge...
    (Hand them a copy of the Law)

Expect that they will ask you to leave.
    FIND A NEW BANK.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Kolat if you feel more comfortable PM some us in Washington forum we may already know what your Banks corporate policy is. M1gunr is real good for this info.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast